Options

DSS #39 Unofficial Feedback Thread - Paper or Plastic

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#39

Gallery Here...

Once more into the fray. This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

Anyway, let's start feedback on DSS #39!!

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Feedback is an important part of the photographic process. While those selected as finalists get feedback from the judges and those who vote, others are never quite sure where they stand. So share your thoughts both in this thread and with comments in the actual gallery. Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

It's easy to post thumbnails (with help from our Moderator).

With the image selected in the gallery, copy its URL from your browser, add "-Th.jpg" to the end, delete the jumble of numbers and letters preceding the hashtag (#), change "gallery" to "photos" and that's it.

Example

Change this url

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-33/9546126_UcMnF#646702914_YfHpk

To this (minus the space in the IMG tags)

http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/646702914_YfHpk-Th.jpg

Happy Feedbacking :scratch

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    An interesting round. I'm disappointed that I didn't manage to shoot my original idea - I just ran out of time to get to our local dump/solid waste management location. I wanted to get a wide-angle shot of the paper bundles and recycling bins, but between iffy weather and just being really busy, never made it out there. "Origami Lake" was definitely something I shot on a whim, but I think it turned out interesting enough to submit and I used a bunch of photoshop features I've never tried before, so it was fun to do despite not being my "real" idea. And I FINALLY learned how to make a paper crane! I've only been trying unsuccessfully since I was about 7..... rolleyes1.gif

I'm leaving comments in galleries rather than doing a list here - with such a small field this time out it's probably the easiest. It will take me a while to get to all of them, but I will leave comments for all shots over the next few days....
  • Options
    ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I love the Origami Lake, Fitting in and the one with the plastic bag on the grass and of course the one with the dog is adorable.

There are some nice shots in there. Mine is a bit of an inside thing, gamers having to choose to play old school D and D (rifts,whatever) or log into a MMORPG online and play.

I think it came out well though.

Good luck to all.
    Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
    I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Good luck everyone! thumb.gif

I, too, will leave feedback in the gallery as I get time over the next several days. I have never been successful with the thumbnails. ne_nau.gif

It was good to see some new entrants in this rather small round. A big WELCOME to all of you! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thanks for the nice comments about "Lake Origami". Thought some of you migght be interested to see where the shot started - this is SOOC (I even let SM do the conversion from raw).

740787854_GYyVF-M.jpg

First I had to make the cranes - I picked up an out-of-date "page a day" calendar at the dollar store which had the sheets of paper AND the instructions (kinda cool - we're having fun with the rest of it, too!). I wanted each crane to be a different colour/design, so we went through and made a bunch, then picked otu the ones that looked best together.

The cranes are sitting on a mirror, and I have my three-sided foamboard presentation board propped up around them. I didn't even use off camera flash - just bounced it off the white ceiling at a slight angle.

All other elements in the shot were PP (I used CS3 for all of this one - no Lightroom at all) - basic processing was pretty simple, with nothing special. However I had to enlarge the canvas to get rid of the frame, and then started playing around with creative elements, which included the following layers (all separate)

- photo filter layer selectively applied to the mirror surface to turn the "water" blue

- wave filter to get some movement in the water; after that was done, I selectively added some "crystallize" filter onto the bird shadows too, to try and make them look like they would in real water. I then burned some areas in darker to make it look like there was plant life under the water and give it some depth.

- clouds (filter/render) on a separate layer, which I then brushed away until I liked the way it looked (I nearly used them as "mist" from the bottom, but decided I liked them more as a cloud reflection).

- added flare (filter/render)

- used a set of PS brushes I found to add the reeds - even though I'm still not 100% happy with those, at least I finally came up with the right sort of colours, which was surprisingly challenging. The green always looked either too blue, or too yellow so it was a ton of trial and error. I also burned them in on the rh side to try and make it more consistent with where the flare light was coming from.

First time I've done anything like this - I generally prefer less obviously processed images - but ... well, it's just kind of the direction this one went and it was a lot of fun to work on!! :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    First time I've done anything like this - I generally prefer less obviously processed images - but ... well, it's just kind of the direction this one went and it was a lot of fun to work on!! :Dthumb.gif

The fun part is the key! Love it BTW. :D
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Oops
    I went to the gallery and started commenting on the entries starting with the last.

Alas, the Internet connection is insanely slow and my comment didn't register.

Bottom line, lots of copies of the same comment on the last entry.

I'd ask Kerry too remove all but one, but she is busy judging both current contests and I don't want to distract her.

My apologies for hogging space.

Shall forgo further comments until I have access to a faster connection.

Really nice shots among the entries I really enjoyed looking at all of them.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I'd ask Kerry too remove all but one, but she is busy judging both current contests and I don't want to distract her.

You can always let me know. I may be swamped, but a heads up is always helpful. thumb.gif I removed all but one of the duplicated comments for ya'.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thanks for the love for "Fitting In" here and in the comments everyone! thumb.gif

Nothing special about the set up really. I just used 3 pieces of black poster board for the bottom, back and left side of the set up. Cut some paper people out of white poster board and lined them up. I took the shot at night so there wouldn't be any stray light through the bedroom window and experimented with various light sources (desk lamp, 2 desk lamps, small flashlight, very small flashlight, all of the above). I had hoped to have my very first external flash here in time to experiment with that for lighting as well, but alas it's been delayed until today (apparently, in California, UPS believes a little rain is "Adverse Weather" and delays packages... *grumble*).

The chosen exposure was 8 seconds, lit entirely with a mini maglite (the keychain version) which was held on Duke (the GI Joe) for most of it and then waved around for a frantic second or two to get some light on the paper people. In post, I just pushed the highlights a little higher so the shine would really show on the plastic and pushed the blacks a bit to hide the seams of the poster board. And there you have it, nothing too special!

740425357_L4Pdm-L.jpg

Good luck to everyone and let's all keep our fingers crossed that the ongoing drizzle won't delay UPS and my flash too much longer so I can give it a try for Comedy or Tragedy! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Whew!:whew Submitted my ten, which wasn't easy, and have posted comments on all images in the entry gallery. Comments are, of course, just my opinion. My comments are listed as 4scotts since that's my SmugMug log in id.

For the challenge period I stayed out of all challenge threads except MC6 threads. I also stayed away from the entry gallery since I didn't want to have more time on any one image than any other. This morning at about 8:30 am was my first look. Lots of great images there. You should all feel good about the work you've done!

And now on to #40.

Good luck to you all in the voting when it starts.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You can always let me know. I may be swamped, but a heads up is always helpful. thumb.gif I removed all but one of the duplicated comments for ya'.

Thanks muchly!

Va

Email
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    An interesting round. I'm disappointed that I didn't manage to shoot my original idea - I just ran out of time to get to our local dump/solid waste management location. I wanted to get a wide-angle shot of the paper bundles and recycling bins, but between iffy weather and just being really busy, never made it out there. "Origami Lake" was definitely something I shot on a whim, but I think it turned out interesting enough to submit and I used a bunch of photoshop features I've never tried before, so it was fun to do despite not being my "real" idea. And I FINALLY learned how to make a paper crane! I've only been trying unsuccessfully since I was about 7..... rolleyes1.gif

I'm leaving comments in galleries rather than doing a list here - with such a small field this time out it's probably the easiest. It will take me a while to get to all of them, but I will leave comments for all shots over the next few days....

I enjoyed Origami Lake. Nice execution of the concept.

Believe it or not, I had origami paper and a mirror all set to get shooting Saturday morning until I saw your entry in the forums. eek7.gif

No worries. Moved on to setting up for a high-key Christmas portrait session with my daughter and five friends. When my daughter gave me the funny expression in response to my request to open her eyes further, I thought I might have something fun to work with for the Challenge. Alas, my Photoshop skills were not up to the task.

This Challenge was one of successfully failing for me. That is, I generated a lot of ideas, worked on executing a few, failed to get a satisfactory result, but kept working anyway. While I naturally would've preferred to produce a good image for the Challenge, I'm happy that I kept working on things rather than waiting for the perfect inspiration to strike. Tough learning exercise, but one I hope will pay off in the longer term.

These Challenges really help to enforce continued creative work despite all the other distractions and obligations in life. So thanks to Kerry, Dgrin and all the other volunteers who keep this place running.

On to Challenge #40!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Halite, if only we had Lucus studios at our disposal.:D

(and you should have done the paper bird anyway, I would have liked to have seen another version....) (in fact a theme where we all photograph something of the same would be cool...)(Kerry whatcha think?)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009

(and you should have done the paper bird anyway, I would have liked to have seen another version....) (in fact a theme where we all photograph something of the same would be cool...)(Kerry whatcha think?)

I considered doing the origami swan anyway, but also realized it was probably better to focus on concepts, props and setup for my daughter's shoot. Now that I still have the origami paper, there's no reason I can't do the shots apart from the Challenges.

I like your idea of picking one object or set of objects as the theme. I've been shooting a lot of shoes lately. So I suggest the first topic of this sort be "Shoes". thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    not potatoes?:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    not potatoes?:D

Actually, potatoes could be fun! clap.gif Just not pets, flowers or kids. Not that there is anything wrong with these, but they wouldn't be quite as challenging as some less obvious subjects.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    (in fact a theme where we all photograph something of the same would be cool...)(Kerry whatcha think?)

Hmm... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009

This is an awesome idea, Aaron!!!! Big +1 thumb.gif

Shoes...SHOES?? Do you realize that most of the women on this board would have a FIELD DAY with that one???!!!?????!!??? rolleyes1.gif :lol

Halite, I'm sorry I trumped your idea! I was actually surprised when I checked the gallery before I started that nobody had already done it (I think Qarik posted his while I was working on mine, so we were kind of simultaneous!) It was, as I say, one of those "gee, I wonder what it might be like if I ...." ideas on a whim since I couldn't get out to my recycling center to do my original concept. I'd love to see what you come up with if you shoot it for fun! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    This is an awesome idea, Aaron!!!! Big +1 thumb.gif

Shoes...SHOES?? Do you realize that most of the women on this board would have a FIELD DAY with that one???!!!?????!!??? rolleyes1.gif :lol

Halite, I'm sorry I trumped your idea! I was actually surprised when I checked the gallery before I started that nobody had already done it (I think Qarik posted his while I was working on mine, so we were kind of simultaneous!) It was, as I say, one of those "gee, I wonder what it might be like if I ...." ideas on a whim since I couldn't get out to my recycling center to do my original concept. I'd love to see what you come up with if you shoot it for fun! thumb.gif

Yes, "shoes" might be more of a lob ball for some of the women on the board than for the guys. But we all have access to shoes and I wonder how many of us have shot them specifically as a subject. Maybe those who have done weddings.

No worries on the "trumped" idea. I was actually surprised as well that origami had not been submitted earlier. My Saturday morning peek at the forums was just to see if it was still "safe". I had to laugh when your entry wasn't just origami, but a swan on a mirror. Great minds think alike! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    ...(in fact a theme where we all photograph something of the same would be cool...)(Kerry whatcha think?)

What a great idea! No worries about WHAT to shoot, just HOW to do it. Betcha we'd see some awesome interpretations.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Further to Divamum's shoe comment (apologies for sidetracking this thread):

Women more attached to shoes than to men rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    Further to Divamum's shoe comment (apologies for sidetracking this thread):

Women more attached to shoes than to men rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif :lol :lol4 :smo :giggle

"The average woman owns 19 pairs of shoes."

:oogle Only 19? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Shoooooooeeeeesssss...

336021726_Bph5b-M.jpg

I went looking for this shot in my "Word of the Day" gallery and realized I shot pictures of my shoes way more often than I recall doing. Lots of shoe love here, apparently. :D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Shoooooooeeeeesssss...

336021726_Bph5b-M.jpg

I went looking for this shot in my "Word of the Day" gallery and realized I shot pictures of my shoes way more often than I recall doing. Lots of shoe love here, apparently. :D

The black and white pair near the middle and the aqua blue right behind them are KILLER! I'm going through some shoe envy here.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    The black and white pair near the middle and the aqua blue right behind them are KILLER! I'm going through some shoe envy here.

15524779-Ti.gif

It's even worse when you're Shoe-a-holic AND a size 11 narrow ::cry Still, I have my sources and my ways... I come up with enough to satisfy the shoelust in my soul, although perhaps not as easily as a size 8 medium. Then again, everybody needs to indulge their inner Captain Ahab every once in a while, so the chase can be almost as much fun as the find... rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, boys. We've gone all girly on you. Of course, since I've turned camera-freak my shoe funds have been diverted towards lenses and other technotoys so maybe I've reset my priorities (for now :D)
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    I must admit I am a bit of a shoe-a-holic myself, and some of my shoes are way out therewings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Shoes, holy crap..... I must have a pair of hikers for any given season or event... I just wish I used them more....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Damn, I'm going to struggle with "Shoes" I've only got like 5 pairs... and if we're not counting sandals or flip-flops as shoes I'm down to 2 pairs! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Damn, I'm going to struggle with "Shoes" I've only got like 5 pairs... and if we're not counting sandals or flip-flops as shoes I'm down to 2 pairs! :D

Chris,
    Maybe your theme will just be "shoe"rolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Chris,
    Maybe your theme will just be "shoe"rolleyes1.gif .

rolleyes1.gif
    Either that or I'll be raiding my girlfriend's side of the closet, and I don't know if I'm allowed to do that! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Either that or I'll be raiding my girlfriend's side of the closet, and I don't know if I'm allowed to do that! :D

out of my experiences I'm fairly certain thats a "no", in fact be happy you have a side at all.....
    Aaron Nelson