Options

a pop of red... family series

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited December 23, 2009 in People
This was taken at sully plantation in Chantilly VA. CC much appreciated..entire shoot was done with my canon xsi and 50mm 1.8..thanks in advance!

4176354079_5040485247.jpg

4177112116_c78abf0fa0.jpg

4177111492_f06216317f.jpg

4177110898_ae724107de.jpg

4176351389_3b893f37fc.jpg

4176350803_8cc15f7735.jpg

4176350229_87c87cfb73.jpg

4177108504_965e4f6e7b.jpg

4176348927_823e1c2030.jpg

4177107126_8c5c98d308.jpg

4177106338_3f5712940d.jpg

4176346677_5e0d7b8a22.jpg

4177104254_4c249e5de9.jpg

4177103176_7fec0aee87.jpg

4177102286_ec712072b3.jpg

4177101452_1996c0da85.jpg
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    2, 3 ,9, 15 and 16 are all winners!!!

2 and 3 could use a bit more warmth...but are both lovely images.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    thank you.. and I agree about the warmth!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Pretty much the same as Jeff, 3, 4, 9, 15, 16.
    Nice work.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I love how that red just really stands out!clap.gif
    Courtney
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    These are darling! Agree about a few needing some warmth, but you got some super cute captures here! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    seeing these makes me excited about getting my own 50mm to play with.

nice series.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Oh CUTENESS! I don't have much to ad, just wanted to say that the photos are adorable thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    LOVE em! My favs are 3,4,5, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 16. The whole family series are great!!! And those 2 kiddos are goregous. GREAT colors...working with red is hard. You did a super job. Can I ask what your EXIF was for the family shots with the 50....more particularly your aperture on those and distance from subjects. THANKS for sharing! :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    What a great series, Miss B. I agree with the comments about adding some warmth, but love your "edgy" processing on 5 in particular - whaddya do on that one?

Is this the new 50d? :D
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    thank you everyone!! I've been shooting safely at 2.8 and adjusting my shutter and iso.. it wasn't consistant because it was later in the day and I had to adjust frequently for the approaching dusk. It was very overcast at about 4:00...so the natural lighting was cool to begin with.

As far as the edgy processing .. i've learned a technique of creating a gradient map of cream and dark blue.. and adding that layer as "soft light" it brightens it and adds a unique haze of blue and cream. Anyway.. thank you again for the feedback.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    As far as the edgy processing .. i've learned a technique of creating a gradient map of cream and dark blue.. and adding that layer as "soft light" it brightens it and adds a unique haze of blue and cream. Anyway.. thank you again for the feedback.

OOO!! How do you create the gradient map - do you have a link to a tutorial, or would you be willing to explain? Thanks!!
  • Options
    BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    great shots!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    thank you!! and yes I'd be happy to do a tutorial this week for how to create a gradient map :)
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    WOW....wOw.....and WoW !! !! thumb.gif How did I miss this until now ???? Fantastic series and #16 is just about the most precious thing I think I have ever seen! clap.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Oh wow, these are too cute! especially 9 clap.gif Very nice set, I'm sure they loved it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    thank you!!! I will work on the gradient map video tomorrow... :)
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    thank you!!! I will work on the gradient map video tomorrow... :)

Hey, no need for anything more than an explanation - don't feel you have to do put that much work into it! I've just been unable to find the technique anywhere and LOVE the results you got :D
  • Options
    CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Nice shots. I agree with the other comments and have the same faves as the others. I love the deep blue eyes in 8. The family shots could be a little tighter. I too would love an explanation of the gradient map. Thanks in advance for the tutorial.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Very nice series! If I was the parents of those adorable kids, I'd have #9 hanging on the wall in a heartbeat! I'll have to watch for your tutorial on how you processed these.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    gradient map tutorial
    Ok so here is my attempt to show you how to edit using a gradient map.. a few of the actions I use during this tutorial i've gotten from...coffee shop actions at www.coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com

I hope this is helpful :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVmRwLQSyK4

missB
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    #5bowdown.gif

I'm loving it!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    SO nice of you to do that, MissB! (and LOVE the sample shot you were using - such great colours!) I have only one remaining question: how do you get those colour gradient maps? headscratch.gif I don't have any of them in my existing selections, and I can't figure out how to make one (or even what colours would work if I did). Any ideas? I use CS3 and have been trying to figure this out to no avail!

Also, thanks for reminding me to go to Coffee Cup - haven't been there since I became an action addict, so big thanks for that AND for Perfect Portrait - what a great set of tools!

ETA: And the way you added/enhanced catchlights - holy cow, why didn't I think of that before? So simple... so effective thumb.gif
  • Options
    dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Lovely captures. Other than a couple photos near the bottom where I thought the post-processing was a bit too contrasty, I don't think I would change a thing. With regards to adding warmth, I don't think it's necessary... the red outfits contrast very well with the overall colder tones and I like it :)

Keep up the great work. I wish we had classic places like that to shoot here in Northern California.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    SO nice of you to do that, MissB! (and LOVE the sample shot you were using - such great colours!) I have only one remaining question: how do you get those colour gradient maps? headscratch.gif I don't have any of them in my existing selections, and I can't figure out how to make one (or even what colours would work if I did). Any ideas? I use CS3 and have been trying to figure this out to no avail!

Also, thanks for reminding me to go to Coffee Cup - haven't been there since I became an action addict, so big thanks for that AND for Perfect Portrait - what a great set of tools!

ETA: And the way you added/enhanced catchlights - holy cow, why didn't I think of that before? So simple... so effective thumb.gif

thank you!! I use PSE7 so im not sure off hand but I found this link to tell you how to find it on CS3 http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/10.0/help.html?content=WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-763f.html

with use of soft light the darker color.. IE: Left side of the gradient map...darkens the lowlights...and the right side of the gradient..amps up the high lights... soooo... I'd pick a color scheme that fits your portrait.. if you want something warmer.. go with browns , yellows, tans...(IE: chocolate and light tan... Navy and light yellow..etc. etc.) If you want a cooler contrast.. go with Navy and white.. Black and white... Navy and lt. Blue... etc. etc.. then apply the adjustment soft light...and play with the "opacity bar" to get the right intensity.

I hope that helps you :)
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Thank you Miss B! That Gradient map trick is wonderful. I've been struggling with trying to get enough pop and contrast off of an intentional "over exposed" shot for awhile now. What I was doing was not looking as good, and taking a lot longer.

This cleared a bit of a log jam for me. Mucho thanks!
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Well, I never could find the same default gradients you have (the ones in CS3 are completely different), but I DID finally figure out how to make my own - I start with an existing one, and then tweak the colours it uses. I haven't quite matched your contrast-enhancement blue/cream, but I HAVE figured out how to use different colours to warm/cool a picture in a way that simply looks like the light was different rather than a "tint" per se. It's awesome!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    youre welcome..it was hard to get it just right but once you do save it!!! lol. Here is a link http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/graphics/photoshop/graphics/gradient_map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/graphics/photoshop/gradient_map_tutorial.shtml&usg=__dbOvEgOE-BpW3ttCqYC9uUwC8VQ=&h=386&w=432&sz=36&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=LRXltC7FtI5T6M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcs3%2Bgradient%2Bmap%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26rlz%3D1I7SKPB_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
    to a screen shot where you can find the gradient map in CS3.. how do you like that program btw?? Im a little recluctant to give up my PSE7...(IE: photoshop for dummies..lol) as I have just started to master my work flow.

Any insight as to how the CS photoshops might be a better choice????ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Welll, here's what I came up with (changing colours is actually easy in CS3 once you realise which of the symbols on the slider to click... just took me a while to figure that out, and also which way round the slider was set up, ie foreground vs background)

In any case:

Here's the gm I used:
    745466443_JR9go-M.jpg

Without gradient:
    745466453_dytRr-S.jpg

With
    745466533_dRkEX-S.jpg
  • Options
    JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Hey MissB, great shots. 5 and 11 are my favorites. I also really like your PP on all of them. Sully Plantation looks like like a great place shoot. Another great place close to there is Cabells Mill, in Centreville. I recently did a shoot with my 2 kids there. If you are interested, you can see them at

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/214315_KhKCE#719057627_rWp4b

Take Care...........John
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Welll, here's what I came up with (changing colours is actually easy in CS3 once you realise which of the symbols on the slider to click... just took me a while to figure that out, and also which way round the slider was set up, ie foreground vs background)

In any case:

Here's the gm I used:
    745466443_JR9go-M.jpg

Without gradient:
    745466453_dytRr-S.jpg

With
    745466533_dRkEX-S.jpg

that looks great!!!!!! good job!