Options

Step up rings question

Wag MoreWag More Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 23, 2009 in Accessories
Hi all...

I am thinking about using step-up rings so that all my lenses can use 77mm filters. So far so good but what about putting a 58mm to 77mm step-up ring on my 50mm f/1.4? Is that too big of a jump?

Thanks.

- Rich

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    should work just fine....look funny unless you get larger screw-in lens hood.........
    Instead of step rings...what about going with Lee or another rectangular filter that uses holders......another thing I like them is that they don't seem to get stuck to the lens the way a lot of screw-in filters do...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I don't think there really is such a thing as "too big of a jump" in step-up rings as long as you're comfortable with the result. Bear in mind, as Art notes, that you may not be able to use your lens' standard hood and a step-up ring at the same time.

Personally I prefer to just buy each size of filter that I need, and try not to buy lenses that require too many different filter sizes.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 22, 2009
    I use step up rings frequently.

Some of Canon's lenses use a 72mm filter, even though the typical filter diameter for most of Canon lenses is 77m. I use a 72->75mm step up ring on my 24 T&S and my 135 f2 L, routinely. This allows me to just carry 77m filters, and not have to carry two of every filter when walking about in the field.

I use rectangular filters, 4x6 inch and smaller sizes for grad neutral density control, but you have to be careful with them as you can get reflections from the lens or carrier in your image at times. Screw in filters help prevent this issue. but screw in graduated NDs just don't work as well for other reasons.

If you use step up rings, it might be a good idea to purchase a couple appropriate filter wrenches as the same time. You'll need them

Step up rings are inexpensive, and quite useful to me. The 58mm to 77mm is quite handy as well. 67mm->77mm helps if you carry some of Tamrons lenses as well, as 67mm is a frequent Tamron dimension.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I have a 58->72 and a 72->77mm adapter .. looks wierd, but works :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    I do recommend quality brass rings if at all possible. The aluminum rings tend to warp and stick too easily for me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums