Options

Your favorite picture of 2009

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I have seen this similar thread in other forums here on DGrin, but this one has my own little twist on it. Many of these other ones are your "best" shot, this thread is about your favorite picture that you took this year. It does not mean the best, does not mean it is perfect, it means that when you look back at the year, this is the picture that is your favorite. Could be because of the hike to go take it, or the person in it, or just that it makes you smile.

My favorite of the year is one I took a few weeks ago in Las Vegas. I received a gift from the wife in 2007 of a Canon Rebel XTi after I wore out my Canon P&S. Up until recently I was still using it as a very expensive P&S. I would try things with the settings, but I did not know what the end result would be of the changes I was making. I did lots of reading on DGrin to learn about it more and more. Then in December of 2009 the "penny dropped"; things made sense I understood the controls and how they interact with each other. Not going to say I am an expert or fully fluent with them, but I finally internalized how they interacted and was able to start predicting how things would turn out and what changes to make after looking at the preview display. I still had to take many photos to get a few good ones, but the success rate went from one in 20 on a good day to one in 3 or 4.

I was in Vegas for two weeks for work, I wanted to take some photos of the architecture and landscape at night. So I went out on a Saturday night after a rain shower and took pictures. I posted the straight out of camera keepers to SmugMug and sent a link to my wife. She really liked the images and indicated that one was her favorite, not of the batch but as art not just my photo. So I got it printed on metal, as suggested by a friend, and turned around very quickly by BayPhoto and gave it to her as a gift today. I think that it is very cool that I was able to use her gift to me to create a gift for her.

So while it might not be perfect, the image and experience is my favorite of the year.

742917798_mQUD2-L-2.jpg

What is yours?
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I think mine is a tie between two shots, both of which also came from a trip to Vegas (though neither of them was actually taken IN Vegas).

[Click the pics to see the full-size version]
    This is the visitor's center at Valley of Fire State Park, northeast of Vegas. I like it because of how well it captures the bright Mars-like coloration of the rocks, and how it shows the visitor's center blending so well into the existing area instead of standing out like a sore thumb.
    th2009-04-19_091.jpg

And this one was not taken by me, it's OF me, standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon for the first time. I like it because it's one of the few shots from that trip that I'm actually in, but I also love how the guy who took it for me used the Rule of Thirds so well to make me the focal point, while getting a deep enough DOF to keep the far canyon walls in sharp focus. It also captures the beautiful, subtle colors of that part of the canyon and the deep blue of the sky that day.
    th2009-04-20_062.jpg

Both of those pics mean a lot to me; they were both taken on great days in my life.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 26, 2009
    OK, Brad, I'll play. It's hard to choose only one...there are a number that I like for different reasons. Still, this is the one that I'm ordering the biggest metallic print of:

682413821_Ps9Yg-L.jpg

This was shot no more than 100 meters from my apartment on a street that I have passed by daily for five years, but never quite saw as clearly before. It's a personal reminder to me that while gear and PP are all well and good, photography starts with seeing.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I'll play along!
    In our part of Oregon, we don't have many days over 100 degrees F in the summer. One week this summer, we were over 100 for multiple days, and one day it reached 107! A friend invited my son and me to go to the beach with her and her kids that day. The beach was about 30 degrees cooler and very foggy, which made for some interesting (and some of my favorite ever) photos. Here's one of those...
    610120783_hSxmK-XL.jpg
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    thomasrtuckerthomasrtucker Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    This is an image from my Route 66 project that is developing. Although it does not resemble anything Route 66, I love the texture and super shallow depth of field. By far my favorite picture of the year. This is a row of rivits on a old bridge.

635005021_52oeb-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    This is one of my favorites of the past year, as my 11-yr old daughter agreed to pose for me in a very subdued manner.

We were on one of the many sub-levels of the Pike Place Market in Seattle. It was just past closing time during February when the tourist crush is past. My wife was still in a shop and my daughter and I were getting a bit restless. So I set up my off camera flash and diffuser and was able to rip off a few. My daughter lives in this hat during the winter and it very much communicates her personality.

478292414_7XBWP-L.jpg

M
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I live in Arizona and we have really great sunrises and sunsets....This is my favorite sunrise shot of the year.......

510729230_hQa8u-XL.jpg

azzaro
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    My fav photo of the year has to be this one:
    611005687_HS9U4-L.jpg

There are *many* technical incorrect elements in that frame, but it was the exact moment where I began to understanding flash.

My goal for 2009 was to explore artificial light and it's been a painful journey. I went to Joe McNally's workshop in July, and this was the frame where the light bulb went on for me. I still have a lot to learn, but it's starting to make sense now.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    745489725_5VSz8-L.jpg

This is my best picture of the year, i took it just a few days ago. It was the last day before she left for australia for 8,5 months and a beautifull snowy day. We build a snowkangaroo and threw snowballs at each other. It reminds me of better times and makes me want to see her again. :cry
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge
    Mine would have to be this one. It's the new bridge being built over the Colorado River so that traffic doesn't have to be routed over the Hoover Dam any more. The two sides of the supporting arch is just been joined for the first time after many years of construction, and welders are connecting the rebar which is what made that red trail falling into the river.

588913960_bB4Am-XL.jpg
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    This was at a renaissance festival and I just loved this guy’s outfit. He would lean against a tree and say welcome to the forest as people walked by, scaring most people… ha ha. It took a steady hand… it’s a 3 image HDR, which is what gave it it’s cool colors.

478724811_kKPUJ-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    It's either this one:

717692924_gsVwy-L.jpg

or this one:

662836311_MrSUo-L.jpg
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Far from my best but it is one of my favorites

743019632_ZZrS9-XL-1.jpg
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Still on the cusp of between a little girl and a solid pre-teen. For that reason this one will likely remain a favorite for a long long time to come.

617805383_QroMe-L-2.jpg
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I took this shot last month at the Roger Albert Clark Rally when it passed through Dumfries, Scotland. I have recently attended a number of rallies but I was quite pleased with the way this shot turned out with the spray.
    Regards
    Bob

751752949_fV7GN-L.jpg
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    This one is my favorite for 2009 for a number of reasons. One; it was my first time shooting in a studio (and with models) since the late 1980s, and that day reminded me of the fun I had back then. It is also the reason I'm currently buying some better studio strobes (Although, this one was shot with hot lights.). Two; I'm very pleased with the fact that I got exactly what I'd intended. Three; It's one of several photos from that day that helped her get a regular (albeit lesser) role on an upcoming television series.
    681170977_3ZYbe-XL-1.jpg

This is my second favorite for 2009 because, although I was shooting from the hip . . . er, tripod and counted the exposure time myself, it still came out very well. It helped a day that hadn't gone at all as planned end on an up-beat.
    491872005_Yu22g-XL.jpg

I have several more that I could submit; choosing was dificult. But, I also have tons of PC (Pure Crap) from 2009 that will never see the light of day. Oh, those hundreds we shoot to get the few that we show. That is what photography is all about. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I am new to photography, I just got my first DSLR about a month ago. This picture may not be much, but it's my favorite.

751636618_3oYCb-L.jpg
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    This is my favorite from 2009. It was taken at an R/C Model Fly-In on a foggy morning in May. I just knew this was going to be "The One". Later in the year, I offered the image to Balsa USA, the manufacturer of the kits modeled in the photo, to be used in an advertisement in Model Aviation Magazine. They gave me Photo Credit (but spelled my name wrong eek7.gif ).548556739_R4FKG-M.jpg
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I love, love, love this image! Great capture thumb.gif .
    kdog wrote:
    Mine would have to be this one. It's the new bridge being built over the Colorado River so that traffic doesn't have to be routed over the Hoover Dam any more. The two sides of the supporting arch is just been joined for the first time after many years of construction, and welders are connecting the rebar which is what made that red trail falling into the river.

588913960_bB4Am-XL.jpg
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    It was a good year for me, with lots of learning (and waaay more to go) and shooting but I think this one does it for me.

505760119_hQkF3-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks! It was pure luck that I stumbled across that particular scene that evening (been over the dam 100 times before that too.) All I can say is always, always, have a camera with you. deal.gif
  • Options
    earwigearwig Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2009
    I like this one from a trip to the Laphroaig Distillery last month.

718184122_CGXnS-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    johnhoeferjohnhoefer Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2009
    Agreed. The photo is stunning. I have lurked for a while, and this so far is my favorite picture. I am taking my first photography class and they asked us to bring in some of our favorite pictures. This was one of them.

edit: I guess I haven't figured out how to reply with the picture in the reply. It was the picture of the bridge over the Colorado.

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin John. If you click on the Reply button in the message box that has the picture, it will embed it. Else, you get the other person's quote, as you did here. Kdog, those couple you shot of the bridge are just amazing!!! Any more as it has neared completion, or since you are a person of interest now, have you stopped shooting it? [that was you that got pulled over for shooting this bridge from the other side right?]
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    tiggrtootiggrtoo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I just took this one yesterday, and I think that it is my favorite so far this year.

[IMG]http://[/img]751963811_VGgK9-L.jpg
    Ted G.
    Thought before action, if there is time.
    http://tedgriffithphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    This is great work everyone's showing off. Thumbs up to us all :)

Here's my favorite from 2009. It was the first time I saw this type of bee, a green metallic bee, which I love. It's from a ridiculously hot week this summer when I got four or five real portfolio-quality images, and really started to get a feel for what I need to do with my camera and flash to get the image I wanted.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Knowing me, what else but a mountain shot?

401396598_zCBEs-XL.jpg
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Took the wife out for her birthday (we don't get out much just the two of us) and snapped this one in downtown cowtown.. my favorite of the year (i think) :D

752608495_h8EXP-L.jpg
    Devin
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Nice shots everyone. Happy New Year
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 3, 2010
    Nice shots everyone. Happy New Year

15524779-Ti.gif Thanks for kicking this thread off, Brad. thumb.gif
  • Options
    videotape74videotape74 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    745489725_5VSz8-L.jpg

This is my best picture of the year, i took it just a few days ago. It was the last day before she left for australia for 8,5 months and a beautifull snowy day. We build a snowkangaroo and threw snowballs at each other. It reminds me of better times and makes me want to see her again. :cry

this is one of the nicest pictures i've ever seen. great shot, beautiful girl...and what a smile.

you'll see her again! :D
    Nikon D200
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro Nikkor
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
    Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF