Options

Canon Lens line up changes underway?

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Cameras
Canon has removed several very popular lenses from its USA web site.

http://www.canonrumors.com/ says this is often the prelude to changes in the line up.

Interesting times. The 70-200f2.8 IS lens is missing - this has to be one of Canon's most popular pieces, so a replacement must be underway.

Anyone speculate?

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 2, 2010
    Three of the 70-200mm "L" lenses are missing:

f4L USM
    f2.8L IS USM
    f2.8L USM

Maybe version II models?

The 24-70mm, f2.8L USM is also missing.

I'm guessing that some models are being suspended (sadly) and some models upgraded, probably with more attention to corner and edge sharpness in FF bodies. Possibly some new IS systems?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    The current list at CR seems to include almost every single popular Canon lens. Seems unlikely, surely? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    It has to be a mistake. I can't believe that they would announce new models to 80% of their product line. Unless they are giving up and letting Nikon have digital slrs.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Great --- and I just got the 70-200 2.8IS for Christmas.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Great --- and I just got the 70-200 2.8IS for Christmas.
    so you got one of the all-time best lenses on the planet, don't be grouchy!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    so you got one of the all-time best lenses on the planet, don't be grouchy!

Not grouchy -- just wondering what I could of had instead :D

I see they are announcing something on Jan. 5th. and the 9th. I know nothing about this site -- just found it on a google search.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    So many lenses have been removed (well over a dozen) that I have extreme difficulty believing that Canon is going to replace them all at once. Canon always spreads out lens introductions; they have never, in the 20+ year history of the EF mount, introduced more than four lenses in one month (according to the Canon Camera Museum database), and never even a dozen in a single year.

There are absences here that kind of make sense taken individually, like the fact that of the four 70-200mm models, only the f/4 IS is still listed (I can imagine that they might discontinue the non-IS models without replacing them, and the f/2.8 IS uses an older, two-mode form of IS that would be a good candidate for upgrading to the new Hybrid IS), but then there are other absences that are harder to explain, like the removal of the 800mm f/5.6 IS, which was just introduced in 2008.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I think it's premature to take it entirely at face value and just assume that all the missing lenses are being discontinued. Marketing 101 tells you that you don't drop a successful product just because you're planning to replace it; you wait until the new one is ready and THEN replace it. You don't throw away potential sales on an old model until you are ready to give your customers something better.

I'm sure Fake Chuck Westfall would argue that this is just more evidence that Canon Inc. is run by idiots... well, we'll see.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I cannot imagine a BETTER replacement for both the 24-70 L 2.8 and the 70-200 L 2.8 IS. I have both and these both take such excellent images! If anything, I would think that they are only going to give them IS improvements, as the optics are already superior! Given Occam's razor I would tend to think that these are accidental omissions or at worst some kind of hardware update on the electronics. JMHO, as I am still just an average hobbyist!:D:D:D
    Ozone
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    most of the lenses are still on the Japan HQ website : http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/all-products.html

no special annonucement in the Japanese main webpage.

They may launch the new marketing campaign on lenses and camera line up to counter the challenge from the close competition - Nikon and Sony.

Going to Tokyo, Japan for business next week and check what is going on there.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Interesting that most lenses that are missing were put in the product archive:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ArchiveAct&fcategoryid=2091

as if they were obsoleted by newer products.

My guess is a change in USM motors for the entire line. (Just a guess.)

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 3, 2010
    No one noticed the Extender EF 1.4x II is in the product archive. Does that mean new lenses will have additional control that cannot be met with the existing extenders?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    No one noticed the Extender EF 1.4x II is in the product archive. Does that mean new lenses will have additional control that cannot be met with the existing extenders?

The original EF 1.4x and the model II only differed in the addition of weather seals in the latter. I would not think that a new model would in any way obsolete the older models. Maybe the new model is available in white and black? (That assumes that there is indeed a new model.) Marketing departments move in mysterious ways.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    It does seem awfully bizarre. Then again, maybe if all those lenses really are discontinued and new models being introduced (although it really does seem unlikely) the used market should have some yummy goodies on it soon for those of us who don't care if we have the latest-and-greatest as long as what we have does the job we need :D
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Rebate
    There are some hefty rebates through the end of January on several of these lenses.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    canon rumors is not gospel. Go back and look at the specs of the 5d II. was exactly accurate.

canon probably pulled these lenses to raise the MSRP.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    holzphoto wrote:

I agree.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    holzphoto wrote:
    canon rumors is not gospel. Go back and look at the specs of the 5d II. was exactly accurate.

That may be true. As the Yen has been weakening from 120 Yen/USD to todays 93 yen. It lost more than 20% in 2 years.

It may be good time to stock up.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:

Looks like the site is experiencing difficulties:
    "The Canon USA Consumer site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. "
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Try just going to www.canonusa.com and drilling down to the lenses... That seems to work.
    mercphoto wrote:
    Looks like the site is experiencing difficulties:
    "The Canon USA Consumer site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. "
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    DPReview is reporting that the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM has been announced:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010508canon70200isii.asp

While Canon claims to have improved the internals, the outside looks largely unchanged. It even still has two IS modes (normal and panning) which surprises me a little; I had thought they might make the lens automatically detect what sort of stabilization was needed.

MFD is reduced to just under four feet, which is nice. AF is claimed to be somewhat faster and quieter, not that the old one was any slouch in that department. It still takes 77mm filters.

The lens seems (from the figures given) to be very slightly longer and thicker (by two or three mm) than the original f/2.8 IS, but at the same time, slightly lighter in weight (by 100g, about 3.5 oz).

The DPreview report does not mention a suggested retail price.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    ivar wrote:

I just read this -- wonder how much it's going to be......
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 5, 2010

Wow, that's unexpected. I wonder if it will be even sharper than the 70-200 F4 IS now? mwink.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    I see still no change to the 100-400 lens. That update has been speculated for so long that I thought eventually it would actually happen. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Aaaaaaand I just ordered mine, first on the list with my good friends at Tallyn's, I hope to have it in April! :D
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    I just read this -- wonder how much it's going to be......
    I do not know for sure, but I expect it to be same (or a tiny bit less) as the current Mk I retail price.