Options

system error(nofiles)

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in Bug Reporting
I left my laptop uploading a bunch of images last night, and when I came back to it this AM, I was greated by the message "Error response from SmugMug system error (nofiles)"

It looks like some kernel parms need to be bumped up...
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I left my laptop uploading a bunch of images last night, and when I came back to it this AM, I was greated by the message "Error response from SmugMug system error (nofiles)"

It looks like some kernel parms need to be bumped up...
    For future reference - your SmugMug nickname valkyrie
    Sorry about your troubles. I've never heard of this error before. Your upload log does show errors (stats tab of your control panel). So it could be a connection error.
    Could you provide some more details? How many photos did you try to upload? What size were they? Which uploader did you use? What operating system and browser version?

If you haven't done so, give it another try with our Simple uploader and the Send To SmugMug uploader.
    If it works with Send To SmugMug but not the Simple uploader, see if you need a new version of java. Get it from www.java.com .

If you've done so and still have problems, email us at the helpdesk with all details and a link to this thread as well.
    Also include a screenshot of your whole screen showing the error that you reported earlier if you're able to reproduce it so that we can see it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    Sorry about your troubles. I've never heard of this error before.
    I have - it's the result of either (a) an OS kernel running out of available file handles, or (b) a shell process running into it's limit of open file descriptors.

In either case, if the system can't open a file because it's run out of file handles, it'll throw a "nofiles" error and terminate the process.

Find a Unix admin and ask them about it.
    Could you provide some more details? How many photos did you try to upload?
    There were two batches - one of ~50, and another of ~180. The batch of 180 pics was the one that failed after uploading 108 pics. Since I wasn't here, I don't know if the smaller batch was uploading when the larger batch failed.
    What size were they?
    Unknown. I'd expect under 6MB.
    Which uploader did you use?
    LR plugin.
    What operating system and browser version?
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. No browser was in use at the time.
    If you haven't done so, give it another try with our Simple uploader and the Send To SmugMug uploader.
    I simply told the LR plugin to restart, it (hopefully) figured out which images hadn't been updated, and I had it restart the gallery export. It's running right now, and has ~15 more pics to go.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    It's happened again....
    But the SM gallery I've put the screenshot in appears to be 'stuck' with a 'processing image' icon.

The screenshot is in this gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    But the SM gallery I've put the screenshot in appears to be 'stuck' with a 'processing image' icon.
    ...and... it's still processing!

Kinda odd for a 100K jpg. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    Happened again
    while uploading pics to this gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    ...and... it's still processing!

Kinda odd for a 100K jpg. headscratch.gif
    still processing... 3 days later?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    still processing... 3 days later?
    I have one hang now and them and it's easier to delete and upload again.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    and again!
    while uploading to this gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    and another one while uploading to this gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    and again...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    and again...
    Tim? I see all photos processed in that gallery. http://valkyrie.smugmug.com/gallery/9390368_GHKra#629089342_7JzsY

and this one, too
    http://valkyrie.smugmug.com/Travel/2009-Road-Trip/2009-08-232-Gunnison-CO/9388700_4XuGi#628811393_ak2Ho

Please write our heroes for fastest service, okay? Thanks :)http://smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    The galleries are all fully populated, so that the images are there isn't surprising. What I'm doing right now is re-processing them and sending in the updates. So, the question is if the image that's there is the replacement the one I'd uploaded or not. I don't have an easy way to tell, and all I got back from the LR plugin was "0 of x images uploaded" so I'm guessing that the upload didn't go.

Since this hasn't been a 'right now' problem, and a support rep had responded here, I figured I'd just update this as I went along with the expectation that someone would be monitoring this and figure things out eventually.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    Ok, I sent an email in, and I got a chuckle out of this report that came back after I submitted the form:

One of our lovely Support Heroes

Is there something you guys want to make public about the SH group? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    It's happened again.

No response from the help@ email I sent in earlier either. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    No response from the help@ email I sent in earlier either. headscratch.gif
    Well, I got a response, and he said it was a "connection error".

Unfortunately "system error" is -not- symptomatic of a connection error - it's a OS error.

So what do I need to do get this escalated to someone who'll actually do some digging?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    I got the message again while updating this gallery.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Got another one - and since there's no "stats" on the upload page, I can't see what got uploaded last or what error was reported.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Well, I got a response, and he said it was a "connection error".

Unfortunately "system error" is -not- symptomatic of a connection error - it's a OS error.

So what do I need to do get this escalated to someone who'll actually do some digging?
    Tim - please write me, ATTN: Andy at the help desk.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Tim - please write me, ATTN: Andy at the help desk.
    Note sent.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Note sent.
    I should note I've swapped emails with Sebastian, and that I've found out I have a debug file which includes the nofiles error. The only gotcha is that it's 294 MB in size.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    I've communicated with a higher-level technical resource who indicated that this is one of those wunnerful intermittent problems that IT folks just love to have to figure out and fix.

Hopefully they'll find and fix it soon before too many follicles are lost. thumb.gif
  • Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Im having the same problem! I love smugmug.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Robertk wrote:
    Im having the same problem! I love smugmug.
    Hi please write our Support Heroes and let us help you directly from the help desk. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Hi please write our Support Heroes and let us help you directly from the help desk. Thanks!
    and make sure it's gets escalated to the right people - don't let them try and foist it off as a "communications problem"
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    I have traded many emails with support about upload errors. My final response from Andy after about 3 weeks of sending information to the support heros was:
    Hi Robert, OK - unfortunately these things can be hard to pin down. We have 100s of thousands of folks uploading with no trouble right now, still, we want to fix you!

What also usually happens is the issue goes away as quickly as it comes. Try again this weekend, and holler at us if you still have troubles, okay?

It appears (hopefully) that my other upload problems (wrong format) have magically disapeared but now Im getting a nofiles error quite often. It doesnt show up in the error log either.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 5, 2010
    Robertk wrote:
    I have traded many emails with support about upload errors. My final response from Andy after about 3 weeks of sending information to the support heros was:
    Hi Robert, OK - unfortunately these things can be hard to pin down. We have 100s of thousands of folks uploading with no trouble right now, still, we want to fix you!

What also usually happens is the issue goes away as quickly as it comes. Try again this weekend, and holler at us if you still have troubles, okay?

It appears (hopefully) that my other upload problems (wrong format) have magically disapeared but now Im getting a nofiles error quite often. It doesnt show up in the error log either.

Hi Robert,
    As you can see by this thread, the "no file" issue isn't an easy nut to crack. As you say, there are no errors in your upload log. It is almost like your connection isn't connectiing to Smugmug. I am sending you some suggestions.

Please hang in there with us and we WILL get to the bottom of this thumb.gif

Cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Im hanging in there.