Options

The proposal in the park in the rain

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Can only echo the sentiment: WOW. bowdown.gif

But can I also add (speaking as a girl...)... not only kudos to Shay for SPECTACULAR pictures but to dude there for even coming up with the idea of stealth photographing the proposal?!?!? There's a guy that *gets* "romantic"!!!

Truly a beautiful set of photographs. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    naeconaeco Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2009
    Absolutely amazing set of photos! Thanks a lot for realizing this beautiful photo set, Mr and Mrs Stephens! :)

These images bring out a lot of emotional feeling. Each and every single one are very well done and touching.

I found one of your photos out there and got here thanks to your name is the photo's credit. Showed it to my wife and got complained again that we never got to the proposal :p (as a matter of fact, proposal's kind of unpopular where we live, but still)

Again, amazing work !
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
  • Options
    KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Simply incredible. What a great job! clap.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Whatever happened to Shay? Haven't seen him around in a long while..he is missed
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    WOW! That's cool. And so well done. It's a definate no second chances kind of shoot and you did an amazing job. Thanks for the inspiration. This is along the lines of what I hope my photography developes into. Catching life moments for people. Again...well done. Not sure if it came up already in this thread (I'll go back and check) but how far back were you from the event? What lens did you use at what focal length? Again...great work.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    kpagekpage Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    wow!!!! those are some AMAZING shots!
    Just a girl playing with a camera trying to learn as much as she can.
    www.kp-photos.com : facebook.com/kpphotos
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    Those are beautiful! That is the kind of work that I want to produce, when I do get to producing my work that is:D since I am still an amateur, I would like to know how you shot in the rain. Do you think you could show me the EXIF?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif oh my goodness.. i looked at those shots about 5 times. I love them!!! I love everything about them!! KUDOS!! great job!!!!!!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Those are beautiful! That is the kind of work that I want to produce, when I do get to producing my work that is:D since I am still an amateur, I would like to know how you shot in the rain. Do you think you could show me the EXIF?
    All .... this is an old thread. It's been 1.5 years since Shay last posted on DGrin. I don't know why. I just know that I and others still miss him.

All this doesn't detract from the fact that Shay's work is beautiful - just don't expect an answer.
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    absolutely gorgeous and how wonderful for the new bride to be.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    All .... this is an old thread. It's been 1.5 years since Shay last posted on DGrin. I don't know why. I just know that I and others still miss him.

I'm glad someone brought this thread back to life... about a week ago LPS was mentioned somewhere and I thought of Shay and in turn this very thread. I still love these images.

I definitely miss Shay and his wonderful photography.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    Does anybody know where he is or what he is doing?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    jaypaul0001jaypaul0001 Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    wowwwww....
    Wow!! what a moment!! so romantic!!
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    This photo shoot has taken on a life. I love the photos and and am amazed by nearly 1/2 million viewers.

Great work and a great response. clap.gifbowdown.gifbow
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Each time I look at these pictures they just take my breath away. By the way, does anybody know where he is yet?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Yep, takes my breath away about sums it up. Amazing,wings.gifwings.gif thank you soooo much for sharing this. Just wonderful stuff. bowdown.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Each time I look at these pictures they just take my breath away. By the way, does anybody know where he is yet?

Dunno, but his profile says:
    "Last Activity: Jan-20-2008 01:33 AM"

I miss Shay! Always love his work.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Shima wrote:
    Dunno, but his profile says:
    "Last Activity: Jan-20-2008 01:33 AM"

I miss Shay! Always love his work.

not too long ago after reading this thread i tried doing a search for him and his website. Nothing. did he disappear completely?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    not too long ago after reading this thread i tried doing a search for him and his website. Nothing. did he disappear completely?

His web DOMAIN "SHAY STEPHENS .COM" is for sale.......

HERE

When I GOOGLED, shay stephens, the 1st site returned is his SMUGMUG splash page......then I cliked contact at the top and got the page linked above............

It doesn't seem that he has been active at all on any forum that he used to frequentne_nau.gifdunno: DPR, Ubuntu....none of them......Too Bad.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    TelephotoTelephoto Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I think he's dead.

His business address and phone are disconnected. He posted many times in here about vague health and personal issues.

Major talent, but business records show his annual business income under $70K with 2 employees, not much to actually live on.

Its a real shame that people with such outstanding talent are recognized so little financially.

Tele.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    BeachBill wrote:

No Longer listed on the show me the PROS page......

heres that addy:
    http://www.smugmug.com/artist-in-residence/
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    No Longer listed on the show me the PROS page......

heres that addy:
    http://www.smugmug.com/artist-in-residence/

Yeah, they should probably take down that page since it is one of the top ten results in Google.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Shay is one of the major reasons I am a Wedding Photographer. He was an inspiration and a great mentor & teacher, I sincerely miss his insights. My understanding is that shortly after they relocated to the San Diego area he and Jennifer had split up and he stopped shooting weddings. I had not heard about any health issues.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    Shay is one of the major reasons I am a Wedding Photographer. He was an inspiration and a great mentor & teacher, I sincerely miss his insights. My understanding is that shortly after they relocated to the San Diego area he and Jennifer had split up and he stopped shooting weddings. I had not heard about any health issues.

So this would make some sense then:

Found on what looks like a newsletter from an school near San Diego

"Shay Stephens, our Music Liaison on Parents’ Committee....."

Well, at least he didn't disappear off the face of the earth. It was truly mind-boggling to think he just vanished.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Telephoto wrote:
    I think he's dead.
    Nope, I conversed just two days ago with him. He's quite alive, I assure you.

Mabye one day we'll see him here at Dgrin again.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Nope, I conversed just two days ago with him. He's quite alive, I assure you.

Thank you for clarifying Andy, of course I wasn't around when he was active in here but I was intrigued by some work of his that I'd seen, and it was really unsettling to me that I couldn't find anything post 2008. I kinda thought he had passed or something. Good to know he's ok!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Andy wrote:

That would be great. He really gave a lot to the forums and to the members here. I took his workshop with Jeff and a few others here. Shay is very special and missed! Sometimes life just happens in ways not expected. When you talk to him next, please send our warmest regards.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    this was the first I saw of this thread.... and these shots were AMAZING!

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.