Options

Canon 7D Dedicated to: "All things 7D"

UWsmuggerUWsmugger Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 30, 2010 in Cameras
Last month I purchase a Canon 7D and have had some fun playing with it and doing a little serious photography with it.

With this new camera out in the marketplace I thought it would be great to have a thread solely dedicated to the "7D" as a way for those of us who own one to help each other out and for those who are thinking of buying one to jump in and ask whatever questions they have.

So let's start a new thread dedicated to "all things 7D". :clap

Since I'm recommending starting this I'll throw out the first salvo:

With the great video feature what is the minimum CF card size recommended? I would be shooting mostly pictures with an occasional video. But it hit me that maybe it's best to have two CF cards with one dedicated to those situations where we are do heavy video shooting. So rather than a 16GB have 2 - 8's or instead of an 8 have 2 -4's. What are your thoughts on this? Also any card rec's as well. (I'm aware of the speed need and UDMA specs.)
UWsmugger :thumb

Canon 7D & 20D;

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited January 22, 2010
    UWsmugger wrote:
    ... With the great video feature what is the minimum CF card size recommended? I would be shooting mostly pictures with an occasional video. But it hit me that maybe it's best to have two CF cards with one dedicated to those situations where we are do heavy video shooting. So rather than a 16GB have 2 - 8's or instead of an 8 have 2 -4's. What are your thoughts on this? Also any card rec's as well. (I'm aware of the speed need and UDMA specs.)

The Canon 7D will record video to a maximum of 4GB file size or 29 minutes and 59 seconds, whichever you hit first. Depending upon your application, anything above a 4Gig card should be suitable. Many people do like the 8Gig cards because a dual-layer DVD is 8.5Gigs, making for a relatively good match for backup.

The highest recording rate for the 7D will still work fine with a medium speed CF card. In fact Canon only suggests using a card with 8MB/s. I do recommend Sandisk cards for Canon dSLRs just because my own experience has been excellent with that combination and because the tests that Rob Galbraith does with card speeds consistently show the Sandisk cards to be either fastest or among the fastest coupled with Canon cameras.

My recommendation would depend on whether you value having more cards for more total shooting time, or if the transfer speed into the computer is more important.

The minimum I suppose I would recommend just now would be the Sandisk Extreme III, 8GB card. These are currently a very good value and fast enough for most shooting uses. The Extreme IV cards are also very good, faster but a little more pricey.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I've had my 7D for about 3 months now and I am really enjoying it. Like the idea of a 7D thread.

I mainly shoot my boys in sports and have found the 7D to be a great improvement over my previous XSi.

I have shot some video with it. Just this weekend I shot the 60 fps mode for the first time and was a little dissapointed because my target (boys pitching) was a little out of focus where previously, my videos have been sharp. I suspect it is my fault though as I was in a difficult to focus environment (lots of nearby targets to focus on). Overall, I have found the 7D focus to be a huge improvement over the XSi. As for the megapixels, I really enjoy being able to crop heavily (don't have a lot of good, long lenses) and still have a really nice, dense image.

As for the sharpness issue which has been discussed quite a bit, I haven't noticed it but I don't think I shoot enough to really notice it at this point. Again, overall, the image is an improvement over my previous camera. :D

Wayne in Oregon
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    CF Card and Video Focus
    Thanks Ziggy. I'm surprised Canon says 8/mbs as these require UDMA speed cards. I did some pricing around and Amazon has the Sandisk 8GB Extreme CF memory card - UDMA 60MB/s 400x for $59.40 which seems too good to pass up. That's cheaper than what they are selling the Extreme IV for and about the same as the Extreme III.

I haven't used the video that much but I did have some focusing problems (alright I was chasing our dog around so it's wasn't a very fair test) but was wondering if it does better to use Al Servo mode?

This works great for me with sports photography but doing a fast perusal through the manual I didn't see if Al Servo could be used for video. I'll need to try it out. Try it yourself Wayne, cause if that works for video, that will certainly help our focusing issues.

Canon 7D & 20D;
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    UWsmugger wrote:
    This works great for me with sports photography but doing a fast perusal through the manual I didn't see if Al Servo could be used for video. I'll need to try it out. Try it yourself Wayne, cause if that works for video, that will certainly help our focusing issues.

I'm pretty sure my problem was operator error. I've shot previously with the kit zoom and the video turned out really well. With a good DOF, I was able to track atv riders for a good distance (moving towards me) and they were in focus the whole time. I shot the boys pitching with my 85/1.8 and I was in a pretty dark gym. I had the aperature set @ 2.0. I'm sure that was a big part of my problem. Not much room for error.
    *I think I had my AF on One Shot. I don't think AI Servo is applicable for the video application. It's either manual focus or a really slow automatic version which I try to avoid.

Wayne in Oregon.
  • Options
    kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    It's a great body. Canon hits homerun definitely. Can't wait for 7D FF version.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    The AF for video (in all dSLRs with a video capability that I know of) uses contrast based methods and they are very poor at fast moving subjects. The AF is also not very good for stationary subjects for that matter.

Video in a dSLR is an emerging capability and dSLRs do not make good general purpose video acquisition devices.

The Canon 7D, and other Canon dSLRs with a video capability, do not replace conventional camcorders for general video work. A current dSLR with video may be useful for:

Indie style videos. (Generally manual focus and using special rack/pull/follow focus devices to help manage focus.)
    Other video work centered around still/stationary subjects and only requiring short to moderately long "takes".

Conventional camcorders have greatly increased DOF, compared to how a dSLR is typically used, and very specialized algorithms for the AF section and highly specialized lenses too. Until manufacturers really design video capability into dSLRs, and not just slap it into the camera as is the current state, will we see a dramatic improvement in AF capabilities. I do predict that specialized video lenses will be required for best results.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    kewlcanon wrote:
    It's a great body. Canon hits homerun definitely. Can't wait for 7D FF version.

The Canon 1D MKIV is the professional equivalent of the 7D prosumer model. The expected/anticipated 1Ds MKIV will be FF but generally with reduced frame rate and reduced acquisition speed compared to the 1D version. The 1D series are Canon's rather unique 1.3x crop format cameras.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    The 1D series are too heavy for me. I'd like to see a new camera with FF sensor on a 7D body type and features. Will probably be my last time buying a camera wings.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon 1D MKIV is the professional equivalent of the 7D prosumer model. The expected/anticipated 1Ds MKIV will be FF but generally with reduced frame rate and reduced acquisition speed compared to the 1D version. The 1D series are Canon's rather unique 1.3x crop format cameras.
  • Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    I just placed an order today with B&H for the 7D+28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens to supplement my older 350D. To me, the ability to shoot video is nothing more than a bonus feature that I'll probably rarely use. The more important feature for my use/need is the crop sensor. Until I can start saving more money, I'll rent a long, fast lens when I need it.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    I got mine yesterday wings.gif . I have just a few questions. I tried to download a couple of test shots last night by opening them in PSE 7.0, which in turn opens ACR for RAW processing. However, it wouldn't recognise the images headscratch.gif . I have the original Digital Photo Professional that I got with my 350D (2006) installed on my computer and I never really use it, but I tried to use it to open the test shots, and it wouldn't open them either ne_nau.gif .

Do I need a newer version of ACR? Should I delete the old DPP and install the new one?

The reason I haven't been using the DPP is that when I open a RAW image from the CF card, it automatically opens ACR and allows me to process it then convert it to JPEG to open in PSE 7. I think it's easier than opening two seperate programs individually.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    I got mine yesterday ...

Do I need a newer version of ACR? Should I delete the old DPP and install the new one?

The reason I haven't been using the DPP is that when I open a RAW image from the CF card, it automatically opens ACR and allows me to process it then convert it to JPEG to open in PSE 7. I think it's easier than opening two seperate programs individually.

Yes, if you want to continue to use ACR as your RAW processor it needs to be updated to one that understands your Canon 7D RAW files. Unfortunately that usually means a newer version of PSE (I believe PSE 8) and you may still have to go to the Adobe site to grab the latest version of ACR as well.

You may also be able to use the free Adobe DNG converter which "may" allow you to open the DNG-RAW files in your previous version.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes, if you want to continue to use ACR as your RAW processor it needs to be updated to one that understands your Canon 7D RAW files. Unfortunately that usually means a newer version of PSE (I believe PSE 8) and you may still have to go to the Adobe site to grab the latest version of ACR as well.

You may also be able to use the free Adobe DNG converter which "may" allow you to open the DNG-RAW files in your previous version.

I was afraid of that. Can you explain to me DNG? I'm a little confused still by DNG, TIFF, 8 bit, and 16 bit. I just shoot RAW and convert to JPG.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    I was afraid of that. Can you explain to me DNG? I'm a little confused still by DNG, TIFF, 8 bit, and 16 bit. I just shoot RAW and convert to JPG.

DNG is an open standard for RAW files, established by Adobe for the purpose of creating a RAW format without the obsolescence of the proprietary manufacturer RAW formats.

You acquire the free DNG converter, process your proprietary RAW files into the DNG format, and then (hopefully) you should be able to open the DNG files with "most" of the RAW image data still intact even if you use an older RAW converter (as long as the older converter supports DNG files.)

Of course you don't gain the benefit of a more modern RAW converter with it's potentially better algorithms and processing, but you do get to maintain your same workflow and open more modern RAW files without incurring extra cost.

I have an older laptop with Win 2000 and I can process the RAW files of even my most modern camera through a DNG converter (for as long as Adobe continues to support Win 2000 with the DNG converter, a possible stumbling point) and I can use older RAW converters to open the DNG files. It works pretty well for this application and only one camera has failed to work to my satisfaction.

Of course it does take time to process the files to DNG and it does create duplicates of the files, taking up lots of HD space.

Start at the link below and, if you decide you want to try it, the download links are in the upper right of that same page are in the upper right of the same page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    I've tried to save as DNG before, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't give me a thumbnail view in the folder. I leave most of my images with the image # as it comes out of the camera and only name the folder, using the thumbnails to identify each image when the folder's open. With DNG, I'd have to name every single image to know what it is headscratch.gif .
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    At the bottom of the DNG converter window, how do you have your preferences and JPG preview set?

Also, which OS?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    Can't answer right now. I'm away from home for the week. The OS is Windows XP.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    I have medium JPG previews turned on for my DNG conversions. On XP, in Thumbnail view of folders I cannot see thumbs for either CR2 or DNG (I don't think I have the Canon codecs installed.)

I use Irfanview, Picassa and Fastone for thumbs, all of them free and they all work on CR2 and DNG files with embedded JPGs. They all also allow file selection and then can open the selected file in your editor of choice.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I am also a new 7D owner. I bought it just before Christmas last year. Before that, I started a thread here about what to buy and especially Ziggy has been a great mentor, thanks again Ziggy! ;-)

But now I realize that I never followed that up with the results of my shopping frenzy... nor why I choose to buy those items. Se here it goes:

- Body: just the 7D, no kit lens. This because I was told that the kit lenses don't really match up with the 7D and it saves me some $$$ to spend on better glass.

- Standard zoom: I first wanted all L glass but after some (read Ziggy) made me read more about the EF-S lenses, I ended up with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. This lens is expensive but it's also everything you want for a standard zoom on the 7D. I love it. My problem was that the equivalent L lens didn't have IS and I really wanted that for the standard zoom.

- Ultra-wide zoom: Ziggy pushed me towards the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and I tried to buy it but it wasn't available anywhere I looked. Then in one shop the guy made me look at the Tokina ATX Pro SD 12-24 f/4 (IF) DX 2. He put it on a body and I played with it in the shop and was happy with it. It costs less than the Canon lens, I like the manual focus mechanism better, plus it has a fixed f/4 throughout the zoom range. I recently made my first landscape photo's with it and I like it much; at 12mm it was even a bit too wide for some shots so I think I can live with 12mm and won't miss 10mm (as long as I don't know better ;-)

- Telephoto zoom: this was a big one for me and the primary reason to spend all that money. We live on a boat and all the photo's turn out with something really interesting but also really small and in the distance. I was recommended the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM and I am so happy with it!! I even managed to take hand-held 1/40s shots at 200mm so the IS works very good. But I already know I will want more so I'm looking at that 1.4X extender too...
    I need a fast lens because the boat always moves so I need a fast shutter time. I hope my choice for the f/2.8 model allows me fast enough shutter times with the extender!

- Macro: I didn't talk/ask about this before because I already knew what I wanted: the new Canon . I played with it for both macro and portrait (head or head&shoulders shots) and love it for both. I need more stuff for this though (see below)

- Filters: I got Hoya HMC Super UV filters for each lens but a HD version for the wide angle. I must admit that I didn't check if the HD is really needed for the wide angle because I like to keep those filters on the lenses. I just learned I should remove them in low light conditions but am only ready to do that while inside (I am not really interested in inside photography though).
    I also bought the Hoya CIR-polarizing filter but only used it for testing up 'til now. My test was of an art reproduction behind glass at an angle that had a nearby window reflecting into it so much that you couldn't see the picture itself. With the filter I managed to get rid of 90% of that reflection and I am really impressed because I really tried to find the worst angle and almost fell over when I saw the results, I couldn't believe it!

- Flash: Ziggy told me to get (for starters!) two 580EX-II flashes so I got one instead ;-) I am impressed with it. The 7D has a wireless transmitter so I used it wireless a couple of times and it works really good. I did have some trouble in Av mode with the camera going to ridiculous long exposures but found the user setting to correct that. It's probably easier to shoot Tv mode but I always want full control over DOF. I changed the user setting so that the camera stays between 1/60 and 1/250s but when you shoot stationary objects from a tripod the default is better.

- Remote trigger: I bought the cheap RS 80N3 and it works well but feels really cheap.

- Case: I bough a Nanuk 940 case which is much like a Pelican case. I bought all this stuff in Holland and there you see Nanuk more than Pelican. It is big and heavy which is fine for us because we travel with a boat. I need it to be hermetically sealed because of the salt environment. I have room to spare in it which is good because I have ordered more items ;-)

- Table/fun tripod: I don't know how to call it really but it is the Jobi Gorilla-pod for SLR-Zoom camera's. It works well with all but the 200mm lens. I didn't buy the head but miss it so it's on the way now... I will use this mostly for outdoors photography.

- Book: Canon EOS 7D Digital Field guide by Charlotte Lowrie. This is how the manual should have been. I bought the Kindle version from Amazon and use it with their Kindle-App for the iPhone/iPod-touch. You can take it anywhere that way, works great.

Things I didn't buy but missed and they are on the way now:

- Tripod: my tripod is just silly and instable so I ordered a decent one: Manfrotto 190 XPro in aluminium. I won't be hiking with it a lot so no need for carbon I think. I don't know how it is because I don't have it yet but based my choice on recommendations and reviews and price. I ordered the 488RC4 ball head with it plus some extra plates for that.

- Monopod: My monopod is even too short for my wife and I don't know why I have it. I ordered the Manfrotto 680B with 234RC head. It'll probably still be too short for me (I am over 6'6" tall) but we'll see how it is. I find it really difficult to find monopods for tall people and will probably look into ways of extending it. Anyone with idea's?

- Clamp: Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp with 2908 Standard Stud. I hope to use this instead of the tripod while on board and anchored. You probably only need this when you live on a boat ;-)

- a lens pen: I normally use those special lens-paper thingies and an air-bulb but when cleaning the other day I remembered how I hate those. I almost don't dare to say it but I ordered the lens-pen from Nikon ;-)

- Jobi ball head: The BH-1 ball head for the Gorilla-pod. I think any head will fit but my idea was that another cheap ballhead never hurts even when it turns out not good enough for the 7D (I still use a point and shoot too).

- CF card: I have one of those expensive 60 MByte/s Sandisk ones (should have listed that above but it's here now...) but ordered the Kingston Elite pro 32G 133x too. I think it will work great but as I don't have it yet, can't confirm that now. I started shooting in RAW + JPG but switched to RAW-only after I found I worked on every RAW and never used the JPGs. This Kingston card is cheap and big and my experience with Kingston has always been positive but again, I can only confirm it to work well after I get it...

- CF card storage: no question, the special Pelican case.

- Flash: This I miss the most right now... a good flash for macro. I tried it with the 580 but it is no good for it. I will probably use it wireless as a 2nd flash if I get that to work the way I want it, but what I ordered is the Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite. It is expensive but I have high expectations ;-)) Please note that when you have the 100mm macro lens (which has 67mm threads) you also need to buy the Canon Macrolite Adapter 67. I think many buy that only after they find out they need it for the ring flash. I already know this spot in the jungle in Panama here (that's where we are now) with thousands and thousands of those leaf-carrying gardener-ants who cut this trail into the ground. That's where I will first test the ring-flash (it's "dark" there under the trees). That's also where I will test the video modes!

I will post separately about my computer and software adventures with the 7D!

But as this is about photo's let me end with linking a photo for each lens from my list. These aren't particularly good or bad but I know how I missed posts with photo's when I was researching lenses so I only feel I should post some here...

1. Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
    766665690_MWt6D-M.jpg

2. Tokina ATX Pro SD 12-24 f/4 (IF) DX 2
    766666422_DwGaR-M.jpg

3. Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
    774135504_D79pC-M.jpg

4. Canon macro EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
    766566139_jC3PH-M.jpg

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    Nick, this is fantastic. thumb.gifclap.gif

Olease do keep us posted about your journeys, both the nautical and the journey in photography.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    DeVerm wrote:
    - Monopod: My monopod is even too short for my wife and I don't know why I have it. I ordered the Manfrotto 680B with 234RC head. It'll probably still be too short for me (I am over 6'6" tall) but we'll see how it is. I find it really difficult to find monopods for tall people and will probably look into ways of extending it. Anyone with idea's?

Giottos has several monopods that go up to or over 180cm (70.87 in.) in length. Once you add the tilt head, quick release plate, and account for the height between the base of the camera and the viewfinder, that should be more than enough to get to eye level, even for you. :D

I'm 6'5" and I have the Giottos MM9780 (177cm) on my wishlist. I plan to set it up with a RRS QR plate and Manfrotto 234 swivel/tilt head, as suggested on Really Right Stuff's site. The Manfrotto 680B only extends to 60 inches, so I would think that you would be most uncomfortable using that while standing. It would be fine shooting from your knees or a chair on your boat.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    Whoa DeVerm! You spent some money! Originally I was just going to get the body with no glass, but I found a deal on a kit with the 28-135mm/f2.8 IS USM, 8 gb CF card, and a small cleaning kit for only an extra $200. I didn't feel like I needed another lens, but after handling it a little, I'm so glad I did mwink.gif .
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Thank you for starting this thread and for all that are/will contribute. It will make biting the bullet that much easier for me when my savings pile tells me I am ready.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Okay, about the 7D and the computer/software...

The Canon software that comes with the camera is interesting but I have this feeling that I will only be using the EOS utility for tethered shooting. If you have not tried that yet you must do it tonight!! Try the live-view mode!

Actually, this was the last drop for me (I wanted it for a long time already) so I ordered a new Apple laptop (the smallest Pro model, 13" screen I think it is). My reasons for tethered shooting are:

1. outdoors macro. I am not going belly-down to photograph those ants in the jungle here. Reason is that they have soldiers protecting the workers and they venture well out of the path and are as big as my finger nails. Also, it's a jungle and they have about every nasty poisonous snake here that exists (all but mamba, cobra and copperhead). The bushmasters are big so I would notice them but the coral snakes and fer de lance might well be under that heap of leaves! So, the camera will go down but I will be up and using the laptop.

2. on the boat. The camera with the 200mm lens will probably be clamped on a railing in such a position that I have no good access to the viewfinder and the light will make it difficult to see the LCD. If I use a USB cable with the laptop, I can sit in the shade on something that is made for sitting on.

I really really like the 7D with the EOS utility. You can even do manual focus on it while zooming in to 10x to confirm focus... all on the laptop screen. The only thing better than this is the wireless grip but I find that too expensive. Also, what I miss in the EOS utility is the possibility for geo-coding the images captured. We have a bluetooth (and regular serial ports) NMEA signal on the boat 24 hours a day and that includes top precision GPS (it's a boat...) but EOS utility has no way of using it. I hate manually entering coordinates and up til now don't keep a computer log of the NMEA stream (we have a computerized ships-log but that isn't compatible). The wireless grip would be able to fetch that bluetooth signal and geocode the photo's so this issue is still bugging me....

On to other computer work. I already owned IMatch for organizing all the pictures. It's a nice program but it couldn't handle the RAW format from the 7D. Later, I downloaded that Windows codec from Canon to make windows understand the 7D RAW files and now IMatch could convert them. But I wasn't impressed with it at all. I downloaded a trial for Adobe lightroom and that was much better. I also downloaded the lightroom 3.0 beta because the trial was expiring and that is what I am using now. For me, it will even replace IMatch completely because there is nothing in IMatch that I miss with Lightroom. I ordered Lightroom v2 and hope to get a break for upgrading to v3 later. What I also like is that I get both Apple and Windows versions.

Next I tried PhotoShop. I have an old version but it integrates with Lightroom very well. Lightroom creates a copy in TIFF and launches PS. It will stack that edited copy with the RAW image in Lightroom. I ordered the Mac version of PS elements to get up to date software and I think it will have everything I need when I integrate it with Lightroom.
    Also: I like the Lightroom plug-in for SmugMug. It has all kinds of smart options like only replacing the meta-data and keywords on SmugMug etc. It's much better than what is available for IMatch.

Before I started with the Adobe software I did some editing with the Canon DPP program but I redid it all in Adobe later because the results are that much better. I like the clone stamp in DPP though....

Hardware: I am switching to Apple hardware and also some software for the Mac. I will also use bootcamp for Windows XP and I even got Parallels but not for anything 7D related. IMatch is for Windows only but like I wrote I think I will stop using it. With rendering photo's you always want the fastest CPU but I think the Macbook Pro's and Mac Mini give acceptable performance. Their NVIDEA video controllers are nice for this application. I am sure I will regret writing this when I start editing video from the 7D ... ;-)
    I have avoided the Vista mess completely and will probably not go into Windows7 either. My background is all Unix, Linux and other variants but I don't think I will use that for anything 7D related.

Next up is HDR. I have no experience with it but will start testing it as soon as I can find the time. Yesterday I played with the 7D to find how to do the bracketing and as soon as I find out which settings work well, I will start using exposure bracketing for landscape photo's I take, so that I get some material to start with.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Alright, I'm having issues headscratch.gif . I use PSE 7.0 currently to process my JPEG images, and using my 350D (Rebel XTi) if I shot in RAW and tried to open a RAW image in PSE, it would open ACR to do RAW processing to convert to JPEG. Now if I shoot RAW with the 7D and try to open a RAW image, I get a Red X warning that it doesn't recognise the file. Do I need an update for ACR? I even tried to open them in the DPP, and even though it showed a thumbnail image of each file on the memory card, when I tried to open the RAW images, all I got were blank (grey) thumbnails ne_nau.gif .

Can anyone help me pull my head out of my :moon?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    Alright, I'm having issues headscratch.gif . I use PSE 7.0 currently to process my JPEG images, and using my 350D (Rebel XTi) if I shot in RAW and tried to open a RAW image in PSE, it would open ACR to do RAW processing to convert to JPEG. Now if I shoot RAW with the 7D and try to open a RAW image, I get a Red X warning that it doesn't recognise the file. Do I need an update for ACR? I even tried to open them in the DPP, and even though it showed a thumbnail image of each file on the memory card, when I tried to open the RAW images, all I got were blank (grey) thumbnails ne_nau.gif .

Can anyone help me pull my head out of my :moon?

You need to update your RAW converter, which might need to include a new version of PSE. Alternately you might be able to use the free Adobe DNG converter to convert your CR2 files into DNG files and the DNG files may open with your existing version of PSE.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Alternately, if you use Windows or Linux, you can get RAW Therapee which is a freeware converter as well as basic image editor.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

There are also Mac RAW converters but I am unfamiliar with those.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    :whew that did it! Thanks Ziggy. I start to get really stressed when I have to do some kind of computer download. I'm not the most computer proficient person.

I'll have my GF's son with me all day tomorrow because they've closed schools due to the possibility of snow (in Mobile, AL), so I plan to make him my guinea pig. I also got a new gel holder and gels for my 430EX.

Snow day = Play day!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Adobe Lightroom Too
    I got mine yesterday wings.gif . I have just a few questions. I tried to download a couple of test shots last night by opening them in PSE 7.0, which in turn opens ACRE for RAW processing. However, it wouldn't recognise the images headscratch.gif . I have the original Digital Photo Professional that I got with my 350D (2006) installed on my computer and I never really use it, but I tried to use it to open the test shots, and it wouldn't open them either ne_nau.gif .

I know you have already have received a response on this from our Ziggy our wonderful moderator, but your question reminded me that Adobe has a 7D update (I believe it was in v. 2.6) for Lightroom. I use Lightroom for all my photos and Adobe is very quick on updating for all the new cameras.

My only concern is that I do not want all the other camera updates but these come along with program updates as well and I do not see a way to separate them out.

Anyways, just a heads up for Lightroom users. :D

Canon 7D & 20D;
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Panorama Shooting
    I'm going to be off to Israel & Jordan soon and am looking forward to really putting my 7D to the test. One of the main items on my photo agenda are certain pano shots. Here's where I'm at and looking for your input:

Looking to get the Beno travel agent for my travel tripod with the 360 degree dial head attachment. I will be shooting vertically and have been recommended to shoot with a 50% overlap by several photographers. I can rotate my lens in its holder (Canon 70-200 USM IS) to get vertical.

I know there is the problem in doing this as the camera will not "sit" directly over the middle of the tripod, but the adapter is about $800. How "off" will the photos be with out this bracket adapter (the one I looked at was the Quick Time VR Head - Manfrato)?

Any other suggestions? ne_nau.gif Also any other pano shooting tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canon 7D & 20D;
  • Options
    FeatherstoneFeatherstone Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2010
    New to Forum and EOS 7D
    wings.gifI am excited, overwhelmed and intimidated!
    Just purchased:
    Canon EOS 7D Body <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Zoom Lens <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens <o:p></o:p>
    2 SanDisk Ultra 11 8G media cards
    <o:p>Previously was using a Fuji Finepix S9000 - had no idea how much I was stepping up. Looking forward to reading lots of posts and getting a jump on a very big learning cure.rolleyes1.gif The goal is to open a portrait studio by summer!</o:p>
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    Kingston 32 GByte CF card
    Hi 7D lovers ;-)

I can now confirm that the Kingston 32 GByte 133x CF works perfectly in the 7D. It's cost is a factor of 8 less than the 60 MByte/s Sandisk I have...

I also have the Canon ring flash with the adapter for my Canon 100mm 2.8L IS USM macro (read back in this thread for details). Works perfectly, it's almost feels like you're cheating ;-)

I also got the Manfrotto tripod and monopod and heads. The tripod is super, the monopod too short for me (I'm over 6'6" tall) but still doable while the old one I had was ridiculously short.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.