Options

#43 Comments? Suggestions? Theme Worthy?

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited February 5, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Comments on this? Theme worthy? I really like the detail, however, I'm kind of stuck on the right cropping (if I'm even going to use this). It's a pan of 15 shots at 210mm.

Suggestions? Or scrap it and move on...

HDR (I know, I like interesting pp)

778932563_FSan8-L.jpg

Non HDR

779715143_xk3dG-L.jpg

Detail

779713087_4vQ5E-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Hello there,
    I really like the PP in #1, but there is so much to look at it might work against you.

I really like #3 also. It's somewhat abstract though, so it will work for some and not for others.

Great shots.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Would be nice if you could get someone on the wall. It'd make it clear what we're looking at.

In the first, the scaling/location makes it look like the whole thing might be small (i.e. nothing seems to indicate the scale).

Where are you taking the picture from? (Also, in Seattle, I've taken some cool pictures using my widest angle lens while inside the climbing wall structure, but always wondered how to take a picture of it from outside that includes everything).
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I'd also include the sign -- I think that's the problem with the 3rd picture (and its abstractness).

I much prefer the non HDR version, but I only think HDR works if there's really something interesting in the entire dynamic range. Otherwise it just creates clutter.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Man, I need to move to Seattle. Although, rumor has it that a similar tower enclosed by windows might be built in Ocala * fingers crossed! *

Anyway, could you set it up for an even longer single exposure? I wonder whether that would help clarify things a little more.

I'm mixed about the comments on the sign and about someone climbing... if you have a climber + long exposure, then I don't think it would come out that great, but it might help some people figure out what they're looking at if you don't do a long exposure. The sign seems distracting to me... there's a lot going on, a ton of tiny details, and then a giant block sign with thick white letters... doesn't really jive with the rest of the image for me.

The nice thing about the HDR, though, is that you can see what's going on in the office windows to the left of the tower, which creates an interesting detail. Whether that's too much detail and just distracting instead... I'm not sure. I guess it depends what you're going for.

Wow, I'm not sure that my post is actually helpful at all, more like rambling. eek7.gif Heh, sorry about that. :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I like the HDR. I like the detail shot the best because its the most interesting comp. This is an interesting structure, but your perspective on it is straight forward. Can you try a different angle/diff perspective? Can you get more detail in-camera with a longer exposure?
    Cheers,
    Mark