Options

Photography and charm / social skills?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    I did get this message, and I know Liz did. Sometimes my enthusiasm gets the better of me. Thanks for the wisdom and experience. I have withdrawn the kit for making these and limited the jpegs of Liz's pass to maximum M, too small to be really useful for someone trying to customize. But really, there is no trick to making these in PS once you get the idea. It's not like counterfeiting where you are trying to duplicate something that's intentionally hard to duplicate, nor even like trying to make something really beautiful.

But, boy, I did have fun making these. If anyone wants to stage some sort of event and issue press passes for it, contact me!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Suppose we remove all traces of deception and pretension from Liz's badge:

Mod edit: images removed

Liz should use here own phone number and probably one of her own photos on the back. After that, this is really just a variation on the business card. It isn't a press card and doesn't pretend to be.

OK, two questions:
    1. Does it work for Liz as a medal, testimonial, and diploma?
    2. Is it OK with the powers that be?

Just asking. Couldn't quite bear to let that nice design go completely to waste. Maybe a luggage tag?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    1. Is it OK with the powers that be?
    :nah It´s not OK to use Dgrin´s name.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    :nah It´s not OK to use Dgrin´s name.

Got it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    As a former news photog I endorse and echo B.D.'s comments regarding creating and wearing a fake press pass. Media credentials issued by the media organization are nothing more than tacky business cards ... while they may impress the general populus, they have no currency in a 'real' news situation.

As for street photography ... I found that one who works the streets, (so to speak), develops a sixth sense of when and who can be openly photographed and one that requires a subrosa approach. Over time one learns how to melt into the background. I found that looking and acting professional goes a long way in how people react to the camera.

I also believe in the "moving target is hard to hit" approach. Just shoot and walk ... even if someone yells at you keep moving ... shoot and walk .. shoot and walk.

Gary

PS- B.D. How's that GF1 working out for you?
    G
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote:
    >snip<As for street photography ... I found that one who works the streets, (so to speak), develops a sixth sense of when and who can be openly photographed and one that requires a subrosa approach. Over time one learns how to melt into the background. I found that looking and acting professional goes a long way in how people react to the camera.
    >snip<
    As with so many things, there is no substitute for real world experience. I've been shooting pictures actively for about 25 years now but mostly they've been of nice, inanimate objects. In taking pictures of people I feel as if I'm starting from scratch.

press.jpg

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Doug ... for the neophyte ... the shoot and walk methodology is a good place to start ... you just got to do it. I suggest starting at a public/touristy venue before you tackle a more real but potentially hostile environment. In SoCal I'd suggest Hollyweird or Downtown Disney ... dunno about AZ.

36955995_QFtAG-M-1.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Seefutlung wrote:
    36955995_QFtAG-M-1.jpg

Perfect! Liz, take note. And you won't even need dgrin's permission.

It reminds me of a favorite quotation from Weegee:
    Weegee wrote:
    f you are puzzled about the kind of camera to buy, get a Speed Graphic ... for two reasons ... it's a good camera, and moreover, it's standard equipment for all press photographers ... with a camera like that that the cops will assume you belong on the scene and will let you get behind police lines.

Another piece of advice from him that might help everyone is:
    Weegee wrote:
    On news stories, neither permissions nor relases are needed except when photographs are used to advertise commercial products. Pictures of houses or buildings can be published without consent of the owner, but if a man objects to your taking a picture of his property, he can order you and your camera off it -- that's trespassing -- but he cannot stop you from taking a picture providing you are standing on the street or sidewalk which is public property and belongs to everyone.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Perfect! Liz, take note. And you won't even need dgrin's permission.

It reminds me of a favorite quotation from Weegee:

Another piece of advice from him that might help everyone is:

rolleyes1.gif oh that photo is too funny.

This has been a great thread.

It reminds me of a childhood story.
    I was in a race in the 3rd grade. I was the slowest kid on the team, all bony knees and long legs, but no grace.
    I was sweating coming in last. An uncle gave me a pill (which I found out later was a vitamin) and told me it would give me speed and stamina, but only if i took it immediately before the race. I did and I won :)

A placebo press pass.

No worries about me using it please.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2010
    Your uncle is right ... when you see a fast breaking news story ... swallow your press pass. :D

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed