• Options
    Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    It takes 95mm filters. WOW !
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Nice. They also added OS to the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 17-50 f/2.8, introduced an 85 f/1.4, and introduced a ridiculous 8(!)-16mm rectilinear ultra wide zoom.

I'm excited to see some reviews and prices!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Very interesting. I'll be interested to read reviews comparing the optics of the BigMa 0S vs the BigMa I (or is it the "classic") and you just KNOW that someone's going to be doing such a review.

One also has to wonder why the increase in the filter size, especially considering the classic has an aperture range of f/4 - f/6.3 whereas the new one is from f/4.5 - f/6.3 headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010

I'm excited to see some reviews and prices!

15524779-Ti.gif An 8-16mm would make a perfect companion to my 17-40. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    "Last but not least, a dedicated adapter that extends the length of the hood for APS-C users is supplied as standard."
    ok stupid simple question why would the APS-C sensor require a longer hood vs. a full frame. I thought the purpose of a lens hood was to prevent direct sunlight from extreme angles from entering the glass which would be a physical property of the hood extended x length from the front element of the lens. An APS-C sensor (as I understand it) acts as a multiplies of focal length 1.6x for canon which should have no effect on the relative angle of a light source or size of the hood. what am i missing? mind you I only recently started shooting with an APS-C camera after 15 years of film and never really used a lens hood as i simply put the sun to my back or framed my shot according to the light effect I wanted.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Dang looks like it is time to sell my 50-500 and get ready for the OS version......but actually I have been thinking of sell the BigMa for a 150-500 as I never have used the lower focal lengths....except once or twice.....normally I just switch cameras..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Just0a0guy wrote:
    why would the APS-C sensor require a longer hood vs. a full frame.
    The longer the hood, the more it vignettes. Since the APS-C sensor is smaller than the full frame sensor, the APS-C sensor can tolerate more vignetting in the image circle without noticing it in the "cropped" image.

This is a great idea and all the lens manufacturers should follow Sigma's lead on this. Of course, we know Canon won't.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Dang looks like it is time to sell my 50-500 and get ready for the OS version......but actually I have been thinking of sell the BigMa for a 150-500 as I never have used the lower focal lengths....except once or twice.....normally I just switch cameras..............

I wonder how it will compare to the 150-500? I was thinking the 150-500 would be the lens I need before my next yellowstone trip. The few reviews I have read about it sound favorable. Hopefully someone does a shoot out between these two big lenses so I can decidene_nau.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    There are many times I wish I had the Bigma I did buy the the 170-500mm early on in my camera journey. But many times walking around with one lens on shooting wildlife it would have been nice to drop down to 50mm to catch a sunset or other vista. Or other opportunities where the big telephoto could not get it in frame
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    There are many times I wish I had the Bigma I did buy the the 170-500mm early on in my camera journey. But many times walking around with one lens on shooting wildlife it would have been nice to drop down to 50mm to catch a sunset or other vista. Or other opportunities where the big telephoto could not get it in frame

That huge range is a big appeal, it seems almost superhuman when you look at the other offerings out there.

Also I have to say for about the price of a Nikon/Canon 70-200 VR/IS being able to probably (since the prices have yet to be announced) get their stabilized 70-200 plus a Bigma would create a serious telephoto duo clap.gif

Edit:

I just noticed this is my 500th post clap.gif got to say Dgrin is a great forum and part of my daily internet browsing now.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I know my BIGMA has been a great lens but I still find myself crying damn I need more more more lenght but 38K for my dream lens {siggies 200-500 f2.8} is reaching a bit, not to mention haivng to hire sherpas to sherp it around for me:D but a the 300-800 @ 12K would be nice but still gotta have those Sherpas.....:D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    I know my BIGMA has been a great lens but I still find myself crying damn I need more more more lenght but 38K for my dream lens {siggies 200-500 f2.8} is reaching a bit, not to mention haivng to hire sherpas to sherp it around for me:D but a the 300-800 @ 12K would be nice but still gotta have those Sherpas.....:D:D:D

The 200-500 F2.8 looks like it should be mounted on a military vehicle lol3.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited February 26, 2010
    Finally, Sigma has at last, and at least, posted their announcement of their new lenses that were announced for PMA 2010:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-corporation-announces-five-new-lenses-three-new-cameras-at-pma-2010
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Finally, Sigma has at last, and at least, posted their announcement of their new lenses that were announced for PMA 2010:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/sigma-corporation-announces-five-new-lenses-three-new-cameras-at-pma-2010

Don't suppose there is any word on when prices and availability will be announced?
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Don't suppose there is any word on when prices and availability will be announced?

While their official announcement just says "spring" for all items, I'm betting that pressure is heavy for the first 4 of the 5 lenses mentioned. This will be especially true for the APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM and APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM because no doubt the sales of the current non-OS versions will dry up as people wait for the OS versions to be tested and prices established.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While their official announcement just says "spring" for all items, I'm betting that pressure is heavy for the first 4 of the 5 lenses mentioned. This will be especially true for the APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM and APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM because no doubt the sales of the current non-OS versions will dry up as people wait for the OS versions to be tested and prices established.

The 50-500 OS lens is up on adorama and b&h for $1600. I want one, but alas, with a new 14 year old daughter in the house (we're adopting), getting out to shoot is simply not happening much anymore.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    The 50-500 OS lens is up on adorama and b&h for $1600. I want one, but alas, with a new 14 year old daughter in the house (we're adopting), getting out to shoot is simply not happening much anymore.

huh. that might even be worth it! then again, the 1.4 on the 70-200 VR is pretty nice already.

naw, I'm good. but if they could just solidify their quality (Sigma, that is), that could be a great seller
    //Leah
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Before I get too excited I want to see the real world reviews. THis will be especially true for the focus speeds. Face it the BigMa is a dog when it comes to it.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Joves wrote:
    Before I get too excited I want to see the real world reviews. THis will be especially true for the focus speeds. Face it the BigMa is a dog when it comes to it.
    headscratch.gif Never had a problem with mine...
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I have recently been look and considering Canon's 100-400. How would people rate the BigMa 50-500 in comparison? Of course now it becomes even more difficult because not only does the Sigma go 50 wider and 100 longer, but it has OS for the same price as the 100-400.

I am looking for a lens primarily for wildlife and birding opportunities. I would also be looking at the 17-50 (now with OS) to put on a second camera to compliment. If these updated lenses have good quality I just might have to make the switch to Sigma for my lens needs!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I have recently been look and considering Canon's 100-400. How would people rate the BigMa 50-500 in comparison? Of course now it becomes even more difficult because not only does the Sigma go 50 wider and 100 longer, but it has OS for the same price as the 100-400.

I am looking for a lens primarily for wildlife and birding opportunities. I would also be looking at the 17-50 (now with OS) to put on a second camera to compliment. If these updated lenses have good quality I just might have to make the switch to Sigma for my lens needs!

Early reviews of the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II VC are somewhat discouraging:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-VC-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/482-tamron_1750_28vc_canon

I regard the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm as slightly less overall image quality than the Canon 100-400mm, but there are certainly enough excellent images on the Internet from the Bigma to show that in good light and capable hands it is a decent performer.

I really like my Bigma on the 5D MKII, but I was less enthusiastic with the lens on either crop 1.3x or crop 1.6x cameras.

I too am interested in the formal reviews of the Bigma OS version.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I really like my Bigma on the 5D MKII, but I was less enthusiastic with the lens on either crop 1.3x or crop 1.6x cameras.

To what do you attribute that? I swear my 5DMKII has breathed new life into my 100-400 as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    To what do you attribute that? I swear my 5DMKII has breathed new life into my 100-400 as well.

Lower photosite density and high pixel count allows the 5D MKII to accept lower resolution input, which is measured by unit density. Effectively the 5D MKII, and other FF imagers to date, just don't require the high resolution lensing that a higher density imager requires to produce an image of equivalent detail.

Taken to an extreme, a large format lens, specifically 4" x 5" or larger capable lens, generally does not do so well if adapted onto a smaller format imager. A large format camera has a rather extremely large image size on which to spread the available resolution. Large format lenses simply do not require as much resolution per unit area simply because they have so much extra area to cover.

To put numbers to the phenomenon, look at how the same lens (Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM) performs on a crop camera (50D, 15 MPix) versus a FF camera (5D MKII, 21 MPix):

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/421-canon_85_18_50d?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/419-canon_85_18_5d?start=1

At f1.8 the 50D yields:
    • Center, 2267
    • Edge/Border, 2183

While the 5D MKII yields:
    • Center, 3082
    • Edge/Border, 2916

Both of these measurements are in: Line Widths or Pairs per Picture Height (LW/PH) and MTF50.

You may think of these results as a "relative" measure of printable resolution. (It is misleading to think of these measurements as absolute or quantitative however. The numbers are also somewhat skewed by the mismatch in total pixel count between the 2 imagers.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Doesn't the 50-500 OS also have better glass in it than the non-os version?

I'm interested in the 17-50 os, but am thinking it still won't beat my EFS 17-55 which is an absolutely awsome lens for me.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Doesn't the 50-500 OS also have better glass in it than the non-os version?

I'm interested in the 17-50 os, but am thinking it still won't beat my EFS 17-55 which is an absolutely awsome lens for me.

Both the original versions of the Bigma and the OS version are very similar optical construction and both contain 4 elements of Sigma's "SLD" designated glass. The OS version has 2 additional elements but the same number of lens groups. Only controlled testing will disclose which might be better.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, the new Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 OS does not beat the original non-OS version in optical performance according to 2 tester's reviews, and the original (non-OS) better version does not beat the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM overall. The Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 is still a decent performer at any rate and I would be proud to have one. The Tamron is capable of professional results and costs a fraction of the Canon lens, so it should not be taken lightly.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2010
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Bigma OS. Got it today and the one thing I can say is that it's HUGE (which we all knew) and it's Heavy! I can use my 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens without issue, but this thing will get some getting use to. Also it dwarfs my camera - it's actually pretty silling looking on my T2i, but does okay with my 50d (both with grips). I'm thankful I have a good mono pod.

We're going to the Virginia Safari Park Satuday and I'm pretty sure I've conned my daughter into a trip to the zoo Thursday. I'll post some pics when I get them.
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    WOWOWOW!!!! clap.gif

These are great additions and upgrades to Sigma's lenses. I look forward to seeing reviews of the 8-16mm also. That looks like quite a lens.

I also look forward to tests of the new Bigma against the old Bigma.

Anyone hear any rumors on pricing? Edit: they seem expensive, but understandable so.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    WOWOWOW!!!! clap.gif

These are great additions and upgrades to Sigma's lenses. I look forward to seeing reviews of the 8-16mm also. That looks like quite a lens.

I also look forward to tests of the new Bigma against the old Bigma.

Anyone hear any rumors on pricing? Edit: they seem expensive, but understandable so.
    1599 for the new bigma
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    1599 for the new bigma
    Ya, I noticed that one but am wondering about the other ones, mostly how the price of the new 70-200mm OS compares to Canon original 70-200mm IS.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2010
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Bigma OS. Got it today and the one thing I can say is that it's HUGE (which we all knew) and it's Heavy! I can use my 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens without issue, but this thing will get some getting use to. Also it dwarfs my camera - it's actually pretty silling looking on my T2i, but does okay with my 50d (both with grips). I'm thankful I have a good mono pod.

We're going to the Virginia Safari Park Satuday and I'm pretty sure I've conned my daughter into a trip to the zoo Thursday. I'll post some pics when I get them.

Congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53