Options

Portrait of My Brother

2»

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    Ok. I almost got it I think. I have been working with the extract and finally got it figured out...I am having trouble with the render light affects though...Are you using the default setting? Where are you positioning the light source? I am either blowing out one side of his face and leaving the other black or blowing out the whole image... I have to master this technique hehe

mike
    Mike, I sent you a private message about ten pages long..:D
  • Options
    michael972michael972 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2004
    Thank you..... :)

lynnma wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    My attempt
    After hours of trial and error, I've wound up with this. I still like yours better. Did you ues a solid black background? Yours seems to retain more detail, especailly around the goatee and eyes. I did all the sharpening tricks that you suggested.

4394920-O.jpg
    lynnma wrote:
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    That looks pretty good, micheal. thumb.gif Only problem area is top left quadrant of his head - it doesn't blend smoothly with the background.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    Yeah..I see that now...Glad you pointed that out before I sent it for printing...Wonder what I can do to correct that...And by the way I bought the book you reccomended by Kelby...it is a fantastic resource.

wxwax wrote:
    That looks pretty good, micheal. thumb.gif Only problem area is top left quadrant of his head - it doesn't blend smoothly with the background.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2004
    My final rendition.
    My final rendition.

wxwax wrote:
    4398518-O.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    Yeah..I see that now...Glad you pointed that out before I sent it for printing...Wonder what I can do to correct that...And by the way I bought the book you reccomended by Kelby...it is a fantastic resource.

Cool! I love easy to use instructions. I'd say I have ADD, but really it's just that I'm intellectually lazy!

The outline of his head is still slightly off. I didn't see Lynn's instructions. Are you layering/masking his head over a background? If so, either the way you extracted his head was a little rough, or the masking is slightly off.

In either case, the best way to make it better is to zoom in until you see the individual pixels, then do your repair work.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Michael, Here's my go at removing that orange cast... Still needs a bit more work to give it some depth, but I think it might be headed in the right direction?
    ginette

4416402-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    And in Black & White?
    ginette

4416691-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    And in Black & White?
    Michael, maybe some of these will help...
    Let me know what you think?
    ginette

4417295-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Wonderful!!! Please explain the technicque!

AltPro wrote:
    And in Black & White?
    Michael, maybe some of these will help...
    Let me know what you think?
    ginette

4417295-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    Wonderful!!! Please explain the technicque!

Michael,
    Really the techniques I use have come through education, and trial and error. The one I use to do this for Black & White, is very simple.
    First, SAVE the Original as a PSD file.
    This is very important, as PSD does not compress the image and therefore does not degrade the image when the file is opened and closed, or manipulated. When opening and closing a JPG file, each new change and subsequent close compresses the image further and casues loss of minute detail.

Adjust and balance levels for RBG Mode.

While in the RBG mode, Magnify the Irises of the eyes.
    Using the magic wand, set at 15-20 select the iris. (To add to the selection, hold the shift key andclick) For the finer detailwork, I use the lasso selection tool to add (again shift click) or subtract (option click) to my selection.
    Once satisfied with the selection, Copy the Iris selection to the Clipboard. And SAVE AGAIN Under another name, ie MichaelsBro-B.psd

Now convert to Grayscale Mode

Convert again to DuoTone, Select TRI-Tone
    For this image I used:
    Black
    PANTONE Hexachrome Black C
    Pantone 402C

Duplicate the background Layer, Title as "Work Layer."
    Working in this work Layer,
    First adjust Levels
    Adjust a BIT in the Highlight end of CURVES to deepen the shadow side of the face.
    Now adjust Brightness & Contrast, I added +6Contrast
    +2 Brightness
    Keep finessing the controls, Levels, Curves, B&C until you are satisfied. Use the Original Background to monitor your changes.
    Once Happy with the results, SAVE, Keeping Layers.
    Then Merge Layers Down, Or Flatten Image.
    Now Convert back to RBG
    Again Duplicate Background as above
    Paste in the Irises.
    Working in the Iris Layer
    Save Again, New Name
    ie C
    Adjust Color (Control B)
    As his eyes looked to be Blue, to me, I over adjusted them to the blue range, don't be afraid to move the slidders around.
    Take the copied background layer, put it over the Iris layer, and adjust Opacity, I used 48%
    SAVE Again
    Merge all layers and Voila. That should be it!

Hope I didn't forget anything.

I'll look it over again tonight when I get home, or if you have a problem with what I said, let me know.

Hope that helps with the B&W
    ginette
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Thank you.

AltPro wrote:

Michael,
    Really the techniques I use have come through education, and trial and error. The one I use to do this for Black & White, is very simple.
    First, SAVE the Original as a PSD file. This is very important, as PSD does not compress the image and therefore does not degrade the image when the file is opened and closed, or manipulated. When opening and closing a JPG file, each new change and subsequent close compresses the image further and casues loss of minute detail.

Adjust and balance levels for RBG Mode.

While in the RBG mode, Magnify the Irises of the eyes.
    Using the magic wand, set at 15-20 select the iris. (To add to the selection, hold the shift key andclick) For the finer detailwork, I use the lasso selection tool to add (again shift click) or subtract (option click) to my selection.
    Once satisfied with the selection, Copy the Iris selection to the Clipboard. And SAVE AGAIN Under another name, ie MichaelsBro-B.psd

Now convert to Grayscale Mode

Convert again to DuoTone, Select TRI-Tone
    For this image I used:

Black

PANTONE Hexachrome Black C
    Pantone 402C

Duplicate the background Layer, Title as "Work Layer."
    Working in this work Layer,
    First adjust Levels
    Adjust a BIT in the Highlight end of CURVES to deepen the shadow side of the face.
    Now adjust Brightness & Contrast, I added +6Contrast
    +2 Brightness
    Keep finessing the controls, Levels, Curves, B&C until you are satisfied. Use the Original Background to monitor your changes.
    Once Happy with the results, SAVE, Keeping Layers.
    Then Merge Layers Down, Or Flatten Image.
    Now Convert back to RBG
    Again Duplicate Background as above
    Paste in the Irises.
    Working in the Iris Layer
    Save Again, New Name ie C
    Adjust Color (Control B)
    As his eyes looked to be Blue, to me, I over adjusted them to the blue range, don't be afraid to move the slidders around.
    Take the copied background layer, put it over the Iris layer, and adjust Opacity, I used 48%
    SAVE Again
    Merge all layers and Voila. That should be it!

Hope I didn't forget anything.

I'll look it over again tonight when I get home, or if you have a problem with what I said, let me know.

Hope that helps with the B&W
    ginette
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2004
    michael972 wrote:
    My final rendition.

4398518-O.jpg
    Well done Michael,
    good job. The back ground I used was done with a "gradient" tool thayby having it darker one side. The only thing I can see you could improve on would be to take a very soft eraser and remove some of the edging on his head. Or, make the back ground lighter in that area or both. the gradient tool is underneath your little paint bucket on your tool bar to the left. It acts like a paint bucket but grades two colors light to dark, or how ever you want it.
    Try it and see if you like it.
    Well done.
    Lynn