Options

Nikon Lense suggestions

ThePhotographerThePhotographer Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited March 18, 2010 in Accessories
Hey guys, was hoping for simple advice on Nikon Nikkor lenses and what you all use/prefer. I'm open to any suggestions. I'd like to stick to Nikkor, cost isn't really an option as I plan to save up for whatever I feel is appropriate and will benefit me the most.

I currently own a D40 with a 18-55mm lense and shoot mostly portraits, etc. You can see my work at http://www.facebook.com/mjphotographyonline

At this point, Ive been looking at a Nikon Nikkor 55-200mm Zoom Lens features VR Image Stabilzation, f/4-5.6G, IF-ED, AF-S, DX

or a

Nikon Nikkor 16-85mm Zoom Lens features VR Image Stabilzation; f/3.5-5.6, AF-S

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance everyone!!!:thumb

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Can't go wrong with a Nikkor 24-70mm, f2.8. My favorite portrait lens on a DX body.
  • Options
    unrlmthunrlmth Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2010
    You might want to wait around and see if the come out with a updated 85 f/1.4.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Mitchell wrote:
    Can't go wrong with a Nikkor 24-70mm, f2.8. My favorite portrait lens on a DX body.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will be checking into that as well, ASAP! I'm pretty sure I want the f2.8 due to shooting portraits....
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    unrlmth wrote:
    You might want to wait around and see if the come out with a updated 85 f/1.4.

I would love to wait for such a lense... but at the same time, I'm getting alot of clients and really need something that I can pick up in a couple weeks/a month or so... But def. thank you for your input and suggestion! I will keep my eye out to see if they do release such a lense.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Keep in mind the limitation of your D40. This body does not have a built in AF motor and will only AF with AF-S lenses.

While the 85mm, f1.4 is a fantastic portrait lens, it will require MF on your body.

The Nikkor 24-70mm, f2.8 lens I recommended is AF-s and will AF on your camera.
  • Options
    davidzvidavidzvi Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    D40 with 24-70? The 24-70 is a great lens but it is in a different class than the D40 and the 2 lenses you mentioned. I mean the body is selling anywhere $200-$400, the lens is $1750 new. If you are willing to look outside Nikon I have 3 options for you, two are FX if you plan on switching some day, one is not.

First DX Sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM, most of this gallery was shot with one:

http://www.blueberryphoto.com/Client-Area/Natalya-Sarah

Second and third, Sigma's and Tamron's eq of the Nikon 24-70.

Sigma - make sure you are looking at the new HSM version (Sigma's version of AF-S as Mitchell noted is required for the D40). There are older versions that did not have HSM. The only complaint I have heard of the lens is maybe a little soft in the corners, which since your camera is a DX body you are still in the sweet spot of the lens.

Tamron's version is a 28-75 instead of 24-70 (you also need to look at the new version with the built in motor). The Tamron built in motor is also the slowest of the bunch.

The Sigma 24-70 is the most exspensive at around $900, the 50-150 is next at $750 with the Tamron coming ing last at $450. These are new prices, but the 50-150 and Tamron can be found used for less.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    davidzvi wrote:
    D40 with 24-70? The 24-70 is a great lens but it is in a different class than the D40 and the 2 lenses you mentioned. I mean the body is selling anywhere $200-$400, the lens is $1750 new.

David, he is a professional photographer and is looking for a good portrait lens. His original post said "Hey guys, was hoping for simple advice on Nikon Nikkor lenses and what you all use/prefer. I'm open to any suggestions. I'd like to stick to Nikkor, cost isn't really an option as I plan to save up for whatever I feel is appropriate and will benefit me the most."

If cost is not really an issue, I stand by my recommendation. Granted the body is outclassed by the lens, but I used that lens on my D70 with good results. It's a lens he could have for the rest of his career. I'm a big believer in buying the best glass you can. The results are worth it.
  • Options
    davidzvidavidzvi Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Mitchell wrote:
    If cost is not really an issue

You'll get no argument from me that it is worth the money. And if cost is not an issue it is the best. And when you add in the DX crop factor the focal length is great for portraits.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Thanks again EVERYONE! And I do mean everyone for all your input and suggestions... I do believe that whatever lense I purchase, it will need to function properly with my D40 (thank you Mitchell for pointing that AF-S out) and will also be something I will want to use, regardless of my D40 body now or a future Nikon body I get later. THANKS!!!!!! I think I have my answer ;)
  • Options
    TonyGTonyG Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2010
    Thanks again EVERYONE! And I do mean everyone for all your input and suggestions... I do believe that whatever lense I purchase, it will need to function properly with my D40 (thank you Mitchell for pointing that AF-S out) and will also be something I will want to use, regardless of my D40 body now or a future Nikon body I get later. THANKS!!!!!! I think I have my answer ;)

One of my favorite lenses to use on a nikon dx sensor has been the tamron 28-75
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    for what you get back, from a cost point of view.... Nikkor's 50mil, f1.8 is absolutely insane. It won't AF on your body, though....

~100.00 bucks.
    IMO every Nikon Guy, should have one.
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2010
    I"ve shot sooooo many portraits with that lens....it is so wonderful, light and just does what it's supposed to and gets out of your way.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln