Options

Street Photography and the Camera

mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
edited May 14, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I'm curious what cameras other photographers use and their feelings towards it. Walking around NYC I've seen a lot of street/PJ photographers and I don't think I've seen the camera twice. Personally I use a Nikon D300 almost all the time but I really like my little Leica D-Lux 4. It's small, quiet and it's daytime picture quality is fantastic. If it had better quality 800 to 1600 I would most likely use it all the time.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I use the Pentax K7 that is in my Signature, with the 17-70mm and sometime the Zigview R.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Olympus E620--
    I shoot both with my pancake 25mm f2.8
    or my kit lens 40-150mm.

I like the swivel screen-and for a DSLR it's not that big, especially when paired with the pancake.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I have my Nikon D80 and usually have a 28-105 mounted and usually carry a 55-200.

Kris
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 15, 2010
    Canon 50D. Different lenses depending on my mood. mwink.gif

Contrary to general wisdom here, I use a 70-200 fairly often. I don't find that it makes me more obvious on crowded streets because the people I am shooting are usually too far away and lost in their thoughts to notice.
  • Options
    KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    prefer to use something ard 100mm at least, I feel its easier to get a candid shot from some distance away. Besides, many people are just not comfortable with getting photographed by strangers.
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Two entry-level Nikons...a D40 and a D60. Often I'll go out with the 18/55 on one body and the 55/200 on the other. I've been shooting more with the 18/55 lately, but I still use the 55/200 quite a bit.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    I'm curious what cameras other photographers use and their feelings towards it. Walking around NYC I've seen a lot of street/PJ photographers and I don't think I've seen the camera twice. Personally I use a Nikon D300 almost all the time but I really like my little Leica D-Lux 4. It's small, quiet and it's daytime picture quality is fantastic. If it had better quality 800 to 1600 I would most likely use it all the time.

It depends when and what for me - I am spending allot of time now with my Panasonic GF1 with the 20 1.7 - which makes it a 40mm. I can either use the live view screen, an add on electronic finder, or an optical 40 mm finder I got. It's tiny, which is nice, though I'm not a believer in the theory that a large camera is a hindrance. I also use an Olympus E-3, with either the 24-120 equivalent zoom, or the 21-44. And then there's the older Oly E-330, with a fully articulated live-view LCD that allows its use like an old TLR. That one is great with the 21-44 set at 21, and with a 21 optical finder.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    And Oly E-P2 with a 17mm f2.8 (it has the field of view of a 34 mm) and and nikon 50mm 1.8, longer lens but the 1.8 aperture is awesome. Love this little camera, like BD's it can be used with the live view or an Electronic View Finder and there are some Optical viewfinders as well. Does great in low light and has Image stabilization on the sensor, so all lens's take advantage of this. The best part is that it fits in my jacket pocket (without the viewfinder attached), so now I take my camera wherever I go...

Its great that there are adapters for just about any lens out there to use with the micro 4/3 system.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • Options
    ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I carry a Nikon D90 and a D200, and it depends on any given day whether I'm carrying one or both bodies. I tend to shoot mostly with a run of the mill 50mm f1.8 prime, although recently I've been carrying a friend's 80-200 f2.8 tele, which has been a lot of fun to shoot. I'll be looking for an 85mm prime to sub for the 80-200 when I return it, I think.
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:

Leica M9 - the camera I've been waiting for since I switched to digital from the Leica M6 and 7. It's all about the lenses.

Tina
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Leica M9 - the camera I've been waiting for since I switched to digital from the Leica M6 and 7. It's all about the lenses.

Tina
    Wanna trade kits? :D

I use a pair of D80s for everything. One generally has a Tamron 17-50 2.8 on it while the other has a Nikkor 80-200 2.8 push-pull. It's not much but it does the trick. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    5DII with 85 1.2 II...pretty much all the time
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Canon S90 but going 4/3rd's soon I hope :D
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    Personally I use a Nikon D300 almost all the time

Still have the top secret Nikon glass, or did you give it back?

I use whatever is handy. Usually an EOS 40D, or Rebel XTi, though I still love some of the shots that come out of my little Kodak EasyShare P850.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Edited. I'm happy to answer questions about a shot but my inventory of kit doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    K200D and FA 50 1.4. Really want a DA 35mm 2.8 for a walkaround.

Just bought an LX3 though, so looking forward to using that when the big unit isn't practical.
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Nikon D90 with the 18-105 kit lens on it most of the time. I bought a Nikon 35mm f2 not long ago but have not used it much. My back up camera is my old CoolPix 8700 which works surprisingly well as long as nothing is happening fast; you could eat lunch during the shutter lag and in-camera processing.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    Depends on the day and my mood. Usually I carry my D90 with 35-70 2.8 or 30 1.4. Sometimes I carry my M3.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    Walking around NYC I've seen a lot of street/PJ photographers and I don't think I've seen the camera twice.

I think the responses here support your observation. A little of this, a little of that...I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I think the responses here support your observation. A little of this, a little of that...I'm not surprised.
    The funny thing is in Philadelphia I'll run into a couple people with a Nikon D90 or several with the same Canon.

As for lenses I almost always use a 20mm 2.8 or a 35mm 2.0 on my D300
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    Got a 5Dmii and all the cool lenses. Since I got the GF1, it's left at home except ballet or when I know it will be really dark and a big camera excused. GF1 isn't perfect, but it's a great camera in a small package with the 20mm f/1.7. All my best shots are with it since I got it. The best camera is the once you've got and this one is easy to have all the time.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ejg1890ejg1890 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I will use either my D90 or D300s.

However, the choise of lens depends on what I want to shot. Lenses in the past have been the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 24-70. What I use not is an ultra wide, 35mm or 50mm and either 100mm or 70-200mm for candid shots in a city.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    I was out in NYC a couple of days ago and I came across 3 people with Leica M9's. It made me think about this Daido Moriyama video about being a slave to the camera and using a compact P&S.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXghTaROw9A
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    mikepenn wrote: »
    I was out in NYC a couple of days ago and I came across 3 people with Leica M9's. It made me think about this Daido Moriyama video about being a slave to the camera and using a compact P&S.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXghTaROw9A
    THank you for sharing this. Very interesting. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I'll almost always use a 50mm F1.8 & a MII N. Though my future telephoto would be for condensed cropped shots.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I don't really care about gear…

…it's all about the end result!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Amen. The best camera is the one in your hands when you see a gorgeous image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Watching youtube is painfully difficult behind the "great firewall..." But agree with the sentiment that the best camera is the one you have with you. The question is how to have the best camera / lens combo with you all the time.

There's a guy I've met casually in Shanghai a couple of times. Last time I randomly ran into him he had a D3x with a 70-200 VRII, an M9 with a Noctilux and a Hasselblad around his neck. He went on to complain that his eyesight prevents him from manually focussing. He's also popular on Flickr.

Oh for the money.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Watching youtube is painfully difficult behind the "great firewall..." But agree with the sentiment that the best camera is the one you have with you. The question is how to have the best camera / lens combo with you all the time.

There's a guy I've met casually in Shanghai a couple of times. Last time I randomly ran into him he had a D3x with a 70-200 VRII, an M9 with a Noctilux and a Hasselblad around his neck. He went on to complain that his eyesight prevents him from manually focussing. He's also popular on Flickr.

Oh for the money.

Maybe his poor eyesight is do to the lack of blood flow to his brain from having three cameras around his neck. :ivar
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    mikepenn wrote: »
    Maybe is poor eyesight is do to the lack of blood flow to his brain from having three cameras around his neck. :ivar
    rolleyes1.gifrofl