Options

Artistic photos

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited March 26, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I see a lot of beautiful images here, and I ask myself the same question every time. Do you all have much success in selling your artistic photos? If so where do you sell them?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    I love taking artistic photos and some of them sell occasionally. Mostly I find the art photos bring the clients in, the portraits and weddings pay the bills. To make the art photos sell I think you need spectacular marketing in an over-saturated market.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote:
    I see a lot of beautiful images here, and I ask myself the same question every time. Do you all have much success in selling your artistic photos? If so where do you sell them?

Can you define or provide some examples of "artistic photos" ?

Sam
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Can you define or provide some examples of "artistic photos" ?

Sam

I'm guessing he means Fine Art photography. Not portraits or wedding stuff, but images that you'd hang on the wall to beautify your place. Landscapes, still life, architectural, whether pure or altered.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    Jon is right. I'm refering to the great scenic pictures that I see all over this board. Nature, landscapes, fine art prints that people would by for wall hangings.

I'm in the process of turning some of my better images into what I would call "Inspirational" art with bible verses and inspirational quotes on them. I'm just wondering how any of you make a living at this type of work.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    fine art, well sorta art?
    fredjclaus wrote:
    Jon is right. I'm refering to the great scenic pictures that I see all over this board. Nature, landscapes, fine art prints that people would by for wall hangings.

I'm in the process of turning some of my better images into what I would call "Inspirational" art with bible verses and inspirational quotes on them. I'm just wondering how any of you make a living at this type of work.
    Fred this may surprise you but I sell out wherever I go. I do not have use of right side and only partial use of left hand and I take photos of birds,animals etc. Because I can not operate the settings on a camera,change a lens I do not get the best pure shot so I make sure I am super close and go for color. I do not have any photoshop either so my $25.00 dollar editing programe is it. So my 'work' is considered art they tell me and if you are able to go to large shows which have an art section you may surprise yourself at how well you do.I only went to 2 saturday shows and made well lots[many thousands,to emarrased to say here] Note I did not sell on the poor me handicapp as I was not there to much, and when I was no one even noticed until they wanted something signed. So take a chance and try it you will not know until then.People want all sorts of art for their walls. P.S.- most popular size matted for me was 22x26[3 inch matte] GOOD LUCKthumb.gifthumb
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    It's really tough to sell art prints online. I've had my art print galleries up for over a year, and the only sales I've made from my site are through people I have met in person. People who really care about art like to meet the artist. People who don't care about art flock to major sites like art.com first.
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2010
    For those of you who do Art shows, and fairs, what do you bring to sell? Do you bring framed prints or just smaller unframed prints, maybe with matts? Tell me about your set up.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote:
    For those of you who do Art shows, and fairs, what do you bring to sell? Do you bring framed prints or just smaller unframed prints, maybe with matts? Tell me about your set up.

I did one festival where I had framed prints hanging from the walls of my booth, as well as crates of matted prints.
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Seems the most popular set-up for an art fair is a 10'x10' canopy. My show set-up will include mesh walls from which Framed pics are hung (another alternative is free standing backboards around perimeter of space). The hanging framed prints draw people into your space. Once inside I have several print bins filled with mounted, matted, and clearbagged prints. i generally keep those in three sizes, matted to 8x10, 11x14, 16x20. This allows the purchaser to readily pick up a standard frame of their choice. I print and mount and mat myself. Pricing varies wildly from area to area throughout the country and even the size and prestige of the show. I only do smaller local shows. my pricing is in line with most photographers in the area and matted bagged prints in the bins are selling for 8x10 $10.00, 11x14 $25.00, 16x20 $55.00.The bagged prints sell way more than the framed prints. There is also the gallery route if you choose to go that way. The others comments are on target. I don't sell nearly as much online as at shows. Although you are mainly interested in art prints, event photography may be another story. Go to the soccer game, shoot the kids, pass out cards and upload to smugmug. Parents can then go to your site and order their rising stars pic. Sorry I've rambled on so long. Hope there might be something here to help.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Selling prints on the internet is a TOUGH market.

Go look at any stock site, those photos sell for pennies, name your subject...good luck competing with that.