Options

Exifs

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 28, 2010 in Finishing School
I have recently changed computers from XP to Windows 7. In XP when I right clicked on an image, in the list I had 'Exif' I don't see that anymore when I right click on an image in Windows 7. I know if I go to the bottom of the list and click on 'Properties' and then 'Detail' I can get an exif. If anyone can tell me how I can go about getting Exif back in the list I would appreciate it.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    canon400d wrote:
    I have recently changed computers from XP to Windows 7. In XP when I right clicked on an image, in the list I had 'Exif' I don't see that anymore when I right click on an image in Windows 7. I know if I go to the bottom of the list and click on 'Properties' and then 'Detail' I can get an exif. If anyone can tell me how I can go about getting Exif back in the list I would appreciate it.
    Regards
    Bob

You must have loaded some utility in Windows to give you this function, as EXIF is NOT built into XP, I have checked three machines here, one from work and two of mine at home, and none of them have any EXIF function when right clicking a photo
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    You must have loaded some utility in Windows to give you this function, as EXIF is NOT built into XP, I have checked three machines here, one from work and two of mine at home, and none of them have any EXIF function when right clicking a photo

Yes I probably did but to be honest I can't remember. I have checked my old XP and it is definately there.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I'm thinking it might be a browser add-on.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    I'm thinking it might be a browser add-on.

At the moment I just can't think how to make it appear. But I must say it was extremely useful.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    I just upgraded Firefox to version 3.6.2 and in doing so I got a message that my Exif Viewer v1.51 add-on was no longer compatible so Firefox disabled it.

Could the same thing have happened to you ne_nau.gif ?
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    I just upgraded Firefox to version 3.6.2 and in doing so I got a message that my Exif Viewer v1.51 add-on was no longer compatible so Firefox disabled it.

Could the same thing have happened to you ne_nau.gif ?

I have also downloaded 3.6.2 although I never got a message of any kind relating to Exif but I am sure you could be right. As I have said one can go into Preferences and Detail and it is there.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I'm not sure what tool/function your previous EXIF option was invoking but...

Do yourself a favor and install PhotoME. It's free:

http://www.photome.de/

It will add an entry to your Explorer context menu and optionally install plugins for Internet Explorer and Firefox so you can view the EXIF data there too. In addition, PhotoME has a very nice user interface, excellent Maker Notes smarts, is fully GPS aware and integrates nicely with Google Maps and Google Earth, and tons more.

Every photographer needs this excellent tool and it's a delight to use.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    malch wrote:
    I'm not sure what tool/function your previous EXIF option was invoking but...

Do yourself a favor and install PhotoME. It's free:

http://www.photome.de/

It will add an entry to your Explorer context menu and optionally install plugins for Internet Explorer and Firefox so you can view the EXIF data there too. In addition, PhotoME has a very nice user interface, excellent Maker Notes smarts, is fully GPS aware and integrates nicely with Google Maps and Google Earth, and tons more.

Every photographer needs this excellent tool and it's a delight to use.

I also updated my Firefox and lost my Exif Viewer functionality as a result. I just looked at PhotoME. Since I don't run parallel programming on my MAC I assume it won't work for me. But, it raises a question - it is an Exif data editor? Does that mean it would let someone edit someone else's metadata? I hope not. headscratch.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2010
    You can go here and install Fxif. It's plain and simple and they say it runs on all platforms.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    You can go here and install Fxif. It's plain and simple and they say it runs on all platforms.

Merci beaucoup!clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2010

Thanks Malch for the link and you to Chuck for yours. I have downloaded PhotoMe and it sure does give you all the information one requires.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    canon400d wrote:
    I have downloaded PhotoMe and it sure does give you all the information one requires.

Glad someone had the cajones to try it ;-)

Here's a tip that will reveal a feature that might otherwise take a while to find. At the top left of the PhotoME window (next to File Menu) click the magnifying glass.

Now, at the bottom of the PhotoME window, locate the "Find" box. Enter some partial term like "lens" or "apertu"...

Neat, eh?