Options

CS5 or bust

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited April 2, 2010 in Finishing School
Is anybody here not going to be able to live without CS5? :D

I'll resist as long as I can, but as they say, sort of, the mind is unwilling but the photographer in me is weak!

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited April 2, 2010
    NeilL wrote:
    Is anybody here not going to be able to live without CS5?
    It certainly has aroused my interest but I'll wait for some real-world feedback. The content-aware stuff looks like a time saver, but the programmer in me doesn't expect miracles. TBH, I am more interested in the improvements to ACR, especially if the promised noise-reduction improvements make it into the CS5 release. I am a little concerned about the resource requirements, as my computer is going on three years old and is running 32-bit XP and I have no desire to upgrade it till USB3 is fully implemented and the price of solid state drives comes down a bit more. So even if CS5 lives up to its promise, I may decide to wait another year or two. We'll see. I still have a long way to go in taking better pics to start with, and frankly I think I have more to gain there than in ever more sophisticated PP software.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    There is certainly an argument for
    1. wait for the reviews
    2. wait for the inevitable .1 bug fix update
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    It certainly has aroused my interest but I'll wait for some real-world feedback. The content-aware stuff looks like a time saver, but the programmer in me doesn't expect miracles. TBH, I am more interested in the improvements to ACR, especially if the promised noise-reduction improvements make it into the CS5 release. I am a little concerned about the resource requirements, as my computer is going on three years old and is running 32-bit XP and I have no desire to upgrade it till USB3 is fully implemented and the price of solid state drives comes down a bit more. So even if CS5 lives up to its promise, I may decide to wait another year or two. We'll see. I still have a long way to go in taking better pics to start with, and frankly I think I have more to gain there than in ever more sophisticated PP software.

I am a CS5 beta-tester (I assume everyone knows Adobe gave us permission to identify ourselves about a week ago). CS5 has some features that have me hanging close to the tipping point, but I haven't decided yet if I want to make the jump from CS4. Pretty sure I'd make the change if I was using CS3, but CS4 . . . ? Cost v. benefit and all that.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    Richard wrote:

Yes, R, there are many similarities between your situation and mine. I too am butting up against the limits of my machine faced with the ever increasing demands on it. I think your point about emphasis - SW or shooting skills - is very salient for me as well.

Neil

• Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    AFBlue wrote:
    I am a CS5 beta-tester (I assume everyone knows Adobe gave us permission to identify ourselves about a week ago). CS5 has some features that have me hanging close to the tipping point, but I haven't decided yet if I want to make the jump from CS4. Pretty sure I'd make the change if I was using CS3, but CS4 . . . ? Cost v. benefit and all that.

Very interesting. And cost v benefit not only in $ but learning effort, time spent on photographs in post and so on, and also artifice v skill, reality and fakeness and those philosophical concerns, the effect on saleability of photos of their being more and more recognisably the products of editor and PS rather than photographer and camera, etc, etc...!

Neil

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 2, 2010
    It is even harder to decide if you also plan ( and who doesn't?) to upgrade to LR3 when it is available, and wlll offer the new ACR raw processing engine and the reported improved world quality noise reduction feature.

LR3 might be enough to keep one from just jumping on the CS5 bandwagon - at least for a while.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    It is even harder to decide if you also plan ( and who doesn't?) to upgrade to LR3 when it is available, and wlll offer the new ACR raw processing engine and the reported improved world quality noise reduction feature.
    LR3 might be enough to keep one from just jumping on the CS5 bandwagon - at least for a while.

Agreed. It really depends on how much additional work you need to conduct after rendering your raw files in something like LR. IF you decide you want to work with Smart Objects and embed the raw data, then you’d want parity with ACR and the newer Lightroom. For Mac users, the 64bit update to CS5 with plenty of ram may be worth the price of admission alone thanks to the speed increases.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    How does the new Aperture stand in relation to the prospective CS5 and LR? Anyone with an opinion? Or the new CaptureOne5Pro, for that matter.

Neil