Options

Bikini shoot

OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
edited July 26, 2005 in People
Lauren and I grew up together. She's now an aspiring model. We've decided we'll become famous together. She needed her portfolio updated, and I'm making a portfolio so we went out for as shoot. She's more gorgeous then I knew. I didn't have a play the posing wait game with her, she got right into it. :D

9post-vi.jpg

Damn lens flare. Before I realised, a drop of water from her hair had hit the lens. About 10 or so shots, including this one, were ruined.

2new-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope no one is offended.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Awesome!
    Great model! Man, you're in luck:-)clap.gif
    (I like the second shot best, first has some lighting issues, but she's nice in both:-)
    Bring some more!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    (I like the second shot best, first has some lighting issues, but she's nice in both:-)
    Can you elaborate so I can learn in the future? :D
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    :jawdrop

I also like the second shot better overall but I like her eyes in the first shot, they are bright blue and are well complimented by her top. I think the background of the first shot is maybe too bright. In the first shot she was facing away from the sun so her eyes were wide open, which I like because she has very beautiful eyes, but it also left her in shadows. I think you could compensate for this by useing a flash or reflectors. But then again I have never done anything like this so I may be talking out of my :moon. Does any of what I said make sense?
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Hi Owen,
    Owen wrote:
    First off, You lucky dog you:D. I like both poses, but I think it's the lighting on her shoulder and arms that seem too bright. I also see a lens flare (or something like that) on her left (our right) wrist area. I like the backlighting in the hair on #1 and her expression in both shots.

What PP did you do for her, if any. Definitely a beautiful model. I have a problem with her right hand pose as it looks contorted. Some of this seems to come from the fact that she is so thin so maybe a different angle with the hand/wrist.

Thanks for sharing (gonna share some more, won't you?),
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Offended? How could anyone be offended at these pictures? Very nice! thumb.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    What lense flare drop of water are you talking about. All I see is :jawdrop . The first one has super harsh shadowing on her. Her eyes are amazing in this shot but the brightness from behind on the right is causing some blow out. Not a super big deal however to fix it you would have had to use a reflector or a flash (strobe light or flash like a sigma super or a 580ex) to provide even fill light from the front. God you are lucky to get to practice with her.

OK Now that it was pointed out I see the lense flare. But again who notices that right away. Look at her.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I'll be very offended
    PeterGar wrote:
    Offended? How could anyone be offended at these pictures? Very nice! thumb.gif
    If Owen doesn't post more. I have to agree with others above about the eyes in the first, kinda hidden in the second.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Not sure if something's wrong with my computer or something, but the photos aren't showing up at all.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Uh oh... she heard us talking about her and now she's shy and is hiding.mwink.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    OK......quick, someone tell me how to sign up for the Bikini viwing option. ne_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Sure
    Owen wrote:
    What Dragon said:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Yup, I agree with everyone here...
    that the photos would benefit from some fill flash, reflectors or even shooting with overcast weather (so that you wouldn't get that harsh sunlight). That said, this is often the problem with *my* outdoor photos as well, so I gotta pay more attention to that.
    Even so, I think your photos are great in almost every other way, aside from the fact that I'm still looking for that lens flare, heheheh... If the subject was a little less erm... distracting, I could probably find it... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks so much for sharing, Owen!
    I'm looking forward to seeing more from you, not only because of the good looking model, but more because your shots are really nice!

Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thi,

man that lense flare was hard to find. Look at her left hand (very hard spot to focus on I know) its kinda right above her wrist there.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    therootheroo Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Oh thats where
    Had to look for over 15 minutes to find the lens flare finally got to the wrist.
    Share more, like the pics
    Theroo
  • Options
    melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    OK, here is my $0.02:
    1st pic:
    Eyes are great, play them up! Color of her top excellent choice. Background too busy especially with the pattern of her top. Change rt hand position, looks awkward.
    2nd pic:
    ?change camera angle so she's glancing up and toward you (will make eyes look bigger and bring out color more). Brutally honest suggestion: add inserts to swimsuit top for a little more lift and curve.

Thanks for the post!
    ~mel
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Not sure if something's wrong with my computer or something, but the photos aren't showing up at all.
    Same here

James.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    You wanted more... ;)

10-vi.jpg

7new-vi.jpg

Thanks for the feedback so far. :)
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I think you could compensate for this by useing a flash or reflectors. But then again I have never done anything like this so I may be talking out of my :moon. Does any of what I said make sense?
    Nick
    It does make sense... and that's exactly what I did. I was shooting with a fill flash (hot shoe) and using a homemade reflector. It was hard to aim the reflector and shoot at the same time -- I need an assistant! :P Part of the reason her eyes are so bright is because of the reflector.

Thanks for the feedback. It does make sense, and yes that is what you would do-- so much sense that I did it! :P

Owen
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    What PP did you do for her, if any. Definitely a beautiful model. I have a problem with her right hand pose as it looks contorted. Some of this seems to come from the fact that she is so thin so maybe a different angle with the hand/wrist.
    Hey Chris,

First of all, thanks for the CC and observations. I knew about the lens flare-- from a droplet of water. About 10 *really* good shots were ruined because of it. We're planning on doing shoots every 3 or 4 weeks to keep her portfolio up to date-- and because we enjoy it tremendously. icon10.gif

"so thin"? She'd laugh if you told her she was thin. Infact, modelling agencies have turned her down because she's too big and not toned enough. She's stunning in my eyes. The life of a model is harsh and ruthless.

I did a bit of healing here and there mainly to even out tan lines, remove some small blemishes and I actually touched up her mouth. She tends to bite her lip with her incisors so I removed the glimpse of her tooth.

I duplicated the layer and brought the levels way up and set the blend mode to multiply and did some gaussian blur (between 2 and 10), and then heavily USM the original layer (200-400). If the noise is pretty harsh I run it through Neat Image. I find using the skin as the sample you can really smooth them out and get that "model" affect. I also adjusted the saturation to make it look more "magazine".
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    mel wrote:
    Brutally honest suggestion: add inserts to swimsuit top for a little more lift and curve.l
    Hehehe. Or do some photoshopping. ;) She's the first to admit she's a bit.. erm... small. :)

Thanks, Mel.

Owen
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    more of Lauren...

18-vi.jpg

22-vi.jpg

Lens flare. :(

23-vi.jpg

19-vi.jpg
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I'm jealous of your photographic skills. Those photographs are amazing! :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I'm jealous of your photographic skills. Those photographs are amazing! :)
    I'm just jealous that he knows Lauren! She is a beauty! Great shots!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    .... It was hard to aim the reflector and shoot at the same time -- I need an assistant! :P Part of the reason her eyes are so bright is because of the reflector.
    Owen
    One assistant, willing to travel every 3-4 weeks. Call me at 1-800-2AS-SIST.:D rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    I'm glad most of you have realistic critiques.

Someone at dpreview told me that they're "over processed" and "barbie smooth"... too bad that's how she is naturally.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    I'm glad most of you have realistic critiques.

Someone at dpreview told me that they're "over processed" and "barbie smooth"... too bad that's how she is naturally.
    She's a beauty Owen and you did a nice job capturing her thumb.gifthumb

As far as the "over-processed" comment, I don't see it.

She has beautiful eyes. So please take this with a grain of salt. In some of the pics they (her eyes) look unnaturally light and lacking contrast. Almost as if you brightened them during post. Which is not a bad thing. I do it occassionally also. But the lack of contrast bothers me. If you didn't brighten the eyes, then please disregard my comment :D

Lucky you to have a beautiful friend like Lauren to pose for you clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Another.

(yes, I know the eyes are bit extreme :P)

test-vi.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Thanks for posting these, Owen. I think you did a very good job!

I was wondering if you would consider posting an original, untouched shot from this series into the "Photoshop" section. I'd be interested to see what some of the PS gurus do to it and to see different takes on the same image.
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    *Really* good stuff Owen!
    Those are my faves so far, pretty good lighting in them, I assume this is due to the use of reflectors, since there aren't any hard shadows or something like that on her body.

Also, her skin doesn't really look over-processed nor it has any Barbie/plastic look. I see a very beliavable skin texture on them, and that's what I like!

Thanks so much again for keeping us posted!
    Take care!

-- thiago

Owen wrote:

22-vi.jpg

23-vi.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Also, her skin doesn't really look over-processed nor it has any Barbie/plastic look.
    -- thiago
    Hi Thiago,

Thanks for your honest critiques. The first picture you liked the most was the one that Michiel de Briede decided was overprocessed and "plastic". I posted an unprocessed version (for the most part) and he thought it was much better. IMO, it isn't suitable for her portfolio. Whatever! It's up to her anyways!

One of my favorites:

10new-vi.jpg

Owen