Options

noise reduction software...suggestions?

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited April 20, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm looking for a good, yet reasonably price noise reduction software and/or plug-in. I've had some dark churches recently for weddings and had to use high ISO, and sometimes I just could'nt nail the exposure perfect or the shutter was just too slow. any opinions would be great, I've heard of noise ninja before, but thats it.

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Check out Noiseware from Imagenomic. I love the batch processing feature of the standalone version. You can download and try the community edition for free.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    What are you using for processing software currently? The reason I ask is because if you use Lightroom or Photoshop, Lightroom 3.0 is known to be using noise reduction so advanced over the current version that some using the public beta are saying they won't need to spend extra money on a NR plug-in any more. It's expected that Camera Raw will have to share the same noise reduction code. Meaning if you intend to upgrade to the upcoming CS5 or LR3 you might want to hold off on a NR plug-in until you evaluate how well the new noise reduction works.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited April 19, 2010
    Another vote for NoiseWare. I did a fairly thorough comparison of NoiseWare, Noise Ninja and Neat Image about a year ago. I think they give similar results, but I preferred the user interface of NoiseWare. I have been quite pleased with it, and no longer worry about shooting at ISO 1600 or 3200.

One other thing to consider: the forthcoming upgrade to ACR in CS5 and LR3 is said to have improved noise reduction features. If you are planning on acquiring either one of these, you might want to wait to see whether it's good enough for your needs.

Edit: Colourbox beat me to the punch. Again. lol3.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    It's expected that Camera Raw will have to share the same noise reduction code.

wings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    Cuong wrote:
    Check out Noiseware from Imagenomic. I love the batch processing feature of the standalone version. You can download and try the community edition for free.

Cuong

hmmm...I'll have to check out the trial of that....i absolutely LOVE portraiture from Imagenomic...Hopefully this is just as good..lol....when you say batch processing, does that mean I could easily apply the application to say, all the pictures taken at a ceremony?....simliar to the sync feature in lightroom?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    What are you using for processing software currently? The reason I ask is because if you use Lightroom or Photoshop, Lightroom 3.0 is known to be using noise reduction so advanced over the current version that some using the public beta are saying they won't need to spend extra money on a NR plug-in any more. It's expected that Camera Raw will have to share the same noise reduction code. Meaning if you intend to upgrade to the upcoming CS5 or LR3 you might want to hold off on a NR plug-in until you evaluate how well the new noise reduction works.

I use lightroom 2.0, and photoshop CS3.....CS5 is long off as a upgrade for me, but I am hoping to upgrade my lightroom soon....maybe I would be better off....I use the noise reduction in lightroom now, but it always seems to make it a little too soft
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Kevin CTMP wrote:
    hmmm...I'll have to check out the trial of that....i absolutely LOVE portraiture from Imagenomic...Hopefully this is just as good..lol....when you say batch processing, does that mean I could easily apply the application to say, all the pictures taken at a ceremony?....simliar to the sync feature in lightroom?
    Yes, similar to the sync feature in LR even though it's not that instantaneous. You tell Noiseware which files or folders with the desired settings (noise reduction profile to use, where to save, file name format and file quality) and it'll do all of them for you in one big batch. Each file only takes about 5-6 seconds. This feature is a lifesaver for those who shoot events or sports.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Kevin CTMP wrote:
    I use lightroom 2.0, and photoshop CS3.....CS5 is long off as a upgrade for me, but I am hoping to upgrade my lightroom soon....maybe I would be better off....I use the noise reduction in lightroom now, but it always seems to make it a little too soft

You might try the Lightroom 3 public beta and see what you think of the noise reduction vs. softening of that new engine. I was a beta tester for CS5 (which has the same noise reduction engine a LR3). CS5/LR3 do a good job of reducing noise without serious damage to detail, but they are still applying noise reduction globally. I prefer the selective/targeted approach of some other programs. We all know that not all parts of all images have the same degree of noisiness, so why would we want to soften parts of the image needlessly?

Jerry
  • Options
    ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    NoiseNinja imo is the best solution, the guy who designed it is also a computer scientist! It uses some mathematical calculation to remove noise without muddying or reducing the quality of the overall image. It has plugins for Aperture, Elements and other Photoshops and also as a pre-bundled standalone .exe or .app.

It really is fantastic..