Options

Rope Jump Video! + Art!

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Journeys
Just how do you create a piece or art that is both different and catered to your tastes? This is a question that I am sure every artist thinks about. While I don't actually consider myself an artist I am enrolled in Art classes at the local university, UAA. Thankfully the semester is almost over and the constant barrage of projects and information that we all get battered with will soon end. I often assume the best way to finish is to get the best grade you can, although this hasn't always been my way of thinking. In previous years of college I floated my way through often failing classes because I no longer felt the need to continue going. This was often spurned by the possibility of a new adventure, a new climb or travel opportunity that I didn't have the mindset to turn down. Off I would go without withdrawing or even mentioning to my teachers that I wouldn't be returning. When the journey was over I would come back and attend a few classes. If I was lucky I would make it a whole semester before it was time to explore the next country on an ever growing list, usually I didn't make it that long.
Jump ahead and the influence of others has had an effect on me. I am back in school but this time I have changed my degree to coincide more with what I love to do. Photography drives me as much as climbing or traveling so it was only natural to seek a degree in photography. After 3 semesters I am now looking at my grades and scowling if I happen to acquire a B, how very unusual of a feeling. So when it came time to end my time in Color Design with Mike Conti my mind created an odd request, jump off something. The project is called Amaze Mike, basically it means we have to somehow amaze our teacher with a project that involves color in some shape or form. My idea? Jump off a bridge attached to a climbing rope and paint a canvas as we fly over it. I was going to need another person for this...
I convinced my classmate Alex Troutman to accompany me and to jump for his first time. I went to Blaines Art Supply and purchased a 62” x 48” canvas as well as non-toxic, washable tempera kids paint. I also brought along a white sheet so that we could catch as much paint as possible. Although it is non-toxic and washable I still wanted to keep as much as possible off the ground and we were not yet sure if we could even hit the canvas in the first place.
We drove out early in the morning to our bridge of choice and thus began the setup. We decided that the canvas would probably be great as would photography but the video was where our real project lie. Alex shot most of the video as I setup the jump, this being his first time he was really going to have to trust my ability to set it up. Shasta Miller was our assistant as it is great to have someone on the ground who could tie on the various things that were necessary for the setup.
I was able to get it setup and read to go within a few hours as we moved in a nice relaxing place, this was no time to rush. The test was done and soon it was time to jump. “what color should be use?” I asked. “Reach in and whichever one you pull out.” he replied. So naturally I pulled out a blood red that brought about nervous laughter between us. I walked out to the edge of the bridge, said some random words, and jumped. I somehow managed to strike the canvas on the first pass and on the several swings which come with a pendulum. It was this point when we both knew the project was going to work.
After 2 jumps each and some random rocks thrown in for extra detail we wrapped up and heading into my office where another 8 hours of laughter and video editing ensued. The final project was greater then we expected and hopefully will cause us to garner good grades. Doing what we love is amazing, doing it for school is just an extra bonus.

http://www.vimeo.com/11050205

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Now that's what I call artistic, imaginative, and adventurous.bowdown.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    Thanks cuong! I added more to the story and really appreciate the comment!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    My sleepy brain saw "jump rope", I think little girls, double dutch, hahaha, this was way better, please tell us when you get your grades!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 2, 2010
    I like that! A+ from the lower 48 judges!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Got an A+ And ended up with a 178 of 180 points in the class!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 2, 2010
    Prezwoodz wrote: »
    Got an A+ And ended up with a 178 of 180 points in the class!

That was so awesome and so creative too so you deserved that!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?