• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Like this one.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Its' nice, but…

…for me, there's too much contrast between the bike-cops and the scene they're surveying; they could almost be watching a giant TV screen; it would be nice for it to be more balanced.

As it is, they don't seem to be part of the same scene…

…perhaps that's the intention ne_nau.gif

- Wil

PS: First thing which came to my mind was MST3K (anyone remember that one? :D )
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Rainbow--I really like this one!

I like how the officers are in the dark area vigilant over the light area. I also like how the woman cop is in the middle---wonder if that was just second nature and the woman officer wound up in the middle, naturally protected on either side by the men, hmmm. I used to work for the P.D. in TX (911 dispatcher not cop) and I remember the women officers were always kind of protected, much to their chagrin.

Also really like your conversion.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I like this shot. Actually, I think that the woman appears to be the "leader" here and marches to her own beat (Not looking in the same direction as the other two).
  • Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    rainbow
    Really like this!
    The cops are detatched, yet watchful of the scene in front of them, love the "over the shoulder" viewpoint, and the crop on the right side: it just works.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 7, 2010
    I like this shot. The first impression is a familiar cops vs. demonstrators scene. But when I looked more closely, I noticed that the cops were on bicycles and there really weren't very many protesters. It's a long way from Chicago, '68 and it made me smile. Nice.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Like this one.

Glad you like it!
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Its' nice, but…

…for me, there's too much contrast between the bike-cops and the scene they're surveying; they could almost be watching a giant TV screen; it would be nice for it to be more balanced.

- Wil

Somewhat the intention, but also the dynamic range limits of dark uniforms in shadow and a park scene in full sunlight. But your impression of watching TV parallel is a good one because that it how the scene likely appears to these police officers.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    Rainbow--I really like this one!

I like how the officers are in the dark area vigilant over the light area. I also like how the woman cop is in the middle---wonder if that was just second nature and the woman officer wound up in the middle, naturally protected on either side by the men, hmmm. I used to work for the P.D. in TX (911 dispatcher not cop) and I remember the women officers were always kind of protected, much to their chagrin.

Also really like your conversion.

Thanks, Liz. You might be right in your impression or it may be that if there were two women and one man, the guy would be in the middle.
    sabesh wrote: »
    I like this shot. Actually, I think that the woman appears to be the "leader" here and marches to her own beat (Not looking in the same direction as the other two).

Thanks!

The police are engaged in light conversation as they are not really keeping an attentive eye on the demonstrators, but are there as a reserve should things turn for the worse.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I like this shot. The first impression is a familiar cops vs. demonstrators scene. But when I looked more closely, I noticed that the cops were on bicycles and there really weren't very many protesters. It's a long way from Chicago, '68 and it made me smile. Nice.

Thanks! After taking the shot, I did speak with another officer. He said they usually would not even be there for this demonstration except that they expected a counter-demonstration from "Tea Party" supporters and wanted to be prepared. Since these others were not present at that time, they were just passing time (probably at overtime pay...).
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Nice one thumb.gif Love the contrasting foreground and background for both
    visual value and then onto interpretation. Really makes me want to look
    into the background and look for what they might be looking for.
    :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Its' nice, but…

- Wil

Actually, Wil, that's what I find really arresting about the image!rolleyes1.gif And I can't help asking how Rainbow pulled this off?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Nice one thumb.gif Love the contrasting foreground and background for both
    visual value and then onto interpretation. Really makes me want to look
    into the background and look for what they might be looking for.
    :D Michael

Thanks!
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Actually, Wil, that's what I find really arresting about the image!rolleyes1.gif And I can't help asking how Rainbow pulled this off?

The police were poorly lit with a building behind them and a marquee above them. I metered more for them, thus overexposing the sunny background by about two f-stops (looking totally blown out). In PSE7, I used the recovery and darken highlights sliders to get the level in the photo.