Options

A Baby Session

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited May 30, 2010 in People
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to share a few baby shots. I'm always up for comments and critique. I'm in the process of putting photos onto my new smugmug site (which is far from being a "site" yet, lol). Anyway, thanks for looking. :D

#1 This is just to make you smile :D I couldn't resist adding text.

32100_1317652989257_1468723363_30818580_6445508_n.jpg

878526353_AcL6x-L-1.jpg

878521527_8SZWA-L.jpg

#4879633860_N6Wk8-L.jpg

866623606_PHte7-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    These are gorgeous!! I love the BG in number one, the text totally works!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    always look forward to your kid/baby shots. beautifully done!
    Kristen
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    #1 and #3 rock. Thank you for making me smile.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thank you Fstoplife, Kristen and Alex!

Fstoplife, glad you liked the text. I just couldn't resist doing it. I know it takes away from the photo a bit, but I thought it would make a cute little postcard for the grandparents with the text there.

Kristen, thank you! I so enjoy your kid shots too :) I LOVE the "Eyes" entry you submitted. Really eye catching, lol! Seriously though, that hat and the soft white b/g----yummy shot!

Alex, thank YOU for making ME smile. You are the master of lighting and many other things so I'm always glad when a shot I take makes the cut.
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thanks, Kelly!
    Kristen
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Man oh man - when I think back just a few short months... This is just INCREDIBLE work! Really beautiful, Kelly thumb.gif

What lighting are you using these days? It's gorgeous, whatever it is!!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    #1 is great and funny. Nice shots.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Great set! Hard not to smile when you look at these.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2010
    Thanks Diva, BradfordBenn and Surfdog for your comments. Diva I appreciate your kind words about my progress. Some days I feel I have learned so much and other days I feel swamped by all the technique left to learn! I'm feeling SO limited these days by my equipment (Rebel and nifty 1.8) but still chugging along. I just have always been so hard on myself about justifying 'indulgent' purchases. I want SO badly the 70-200 L lens (non-IS) for my daughter's sports photography--would love the IS but it is just insanely expensive. She is in both gymnastics and track and field and I'm shooting everything with my 50, lol. It was so funny because at her last track and field meet I took some action shots, but found myself drifting to portrait work, lol. It was a track and field event for cyring out loud and there I was taking headshots of her and her teammates. I want to excel in sports photography and I am determined to somehow justify that lens purchase! I think it would also be awesome for outdoor portrait work also. With 4 young kids I just don't see myself having any time (or courage) to sell my work...maybe someday! I did do a zillion mini-shoots of my baby boy though, and more than 1 person has said they think I'm crazy for not dipping into newborn photography. Confidence and equiptment are SO lacking. Are you shooting for pay now? You've come SO far in your headshots since I've been here too! All thanks to these forums!! Thank you Dgrin!

Hey if anyone wants to critique my quasi-sports work with my ridiculously short 50 mm portrait lens...go right ahead! ;) I'd love some feedback.
    http://kfsphotography.smugmug.com/Sports/Journee-Jeunes-22-May-2010/12271866_fHmWz#875982949_tzzhz
    Although I know everyone is going to say GO BUY THE 70-200 L...that 50 isn't cutting it!

Oh and Diva about the lighting. I'm still 90% all natural lighting (these were all natural window light). I've experiemented a bit with fill flash (on camera) with the 430 EXII using hss and exposure compensation. I'm more or less happy with the results of on camera flash for around the house shots. They don't look at all flashy with a bit of bounce and turning things down a bit. I bought a few cheap remotes a few months back and experiemented a tiny bit with them for off camera work. I'm not happy with the results though, as flash is strictly manual. I'd really love to have ettl and I'm only going to get that by forking out the big bucks for a nice pocket wizzards or going with a STE2. I'm leaning towards the STE2...let me know when you get comfy with your 7D and are ready to sell! ;)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Sooo beautiful clap.gif

I especially love #1 (great capture!!)

#2 is really cute too (I'd only do a stronger vignette, but that's just me)

#3 iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards the STE2...let me know when you get comfy with your 7D and are ready to sell! ;)

It's a deal (consider this a promise): if and when I sell the STE2, you get first dibs :D

And you should absolutely be doing newborn shots - this is GORGEOUS work. I know what you mean about confidence and feeling like it's one thing to do own family and another to be on the spot to HAVE to deliver but... your work is beeeeyootiful - you really have an eye for light thumb.gif
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Wow!!! Amazing photos!!! bowdown.gif
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Kelly,
    These are beautiful pictures. Don't under estimate your ability to make "equipment money" by selling your kids sports pictures and baby pictures on SmugMug. You may feel that you have a lot to learn, but your skills are well beyond the people who would be happy to have your pictures of their children.
  • Options
    telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    I love this set! The baby is just adorable! Your kid? :)
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    Angie, Diva, Tropico, Caspian and Telefotoguy! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and look! I appreciate your input. Angie, you are definately right that #2 could use a bit of burning around the edges. Diva, keep me posted on the STE2! Caspian...I appreciate your words of encouragment. I think one thing we all have in common as photographers is that we are never content (?) I always see ways I could have done things better, and I am always so critical of my shots. I wonder if this is a typical 'mindset' in this field? I suppose this is what keeps us growing. I will try to remember what you said-- and yes, equipment money would definately be nice!! Telefotoguy, yes this is my (very photographed) little boy. :) Thanks again everybody!
  • Options
    HomelandHomeland Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2010
    Beautiful photos and expressions!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    Lovely set, Kelly!!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography