Options

And now...glass

chasgrohchasgroh Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited June 1, 2010 in Cameras
D700 is happening, now I've got to gear-up for the summer...been using a D300 with my 80-200 f2.8 shooting marching groups on football fields and pageantry groups in gyms. With the crop sensor my reach is extended, but, of course, if I use the D700 I'm right where the lens *is*...I really need that extra reach and have decided to make the 200-400 f4 my new equipment goal. However, it'll have to wait a bit for me to catch up with the ol' funds...which leads me to this question: What if I got a teleconverter and used my 80-200; achieving the same zoom range, pretty much, as I had with the D300? I know sharpness may suffer, but with the better ISO performance of the D700 I *may* squeeze a couple of stops anyhow...enough that my shutter speed would be quicker and, thusly, help out the sharpness angle on *that* end. Thoughts? What's a good TC to use?

cg

Comments

• Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    As always, go with the 1.4x if you can for minimal degradation. You can also try the 80-400. It's not as fast as the 200-400 but it's more affordable even though the AF is slower. You can always rent too.

If you want to see my shots with the D700 and 200-400 F/4 they are here but this is from about 50 feet. Might not be comparable to your situation but it's the same setup after cropping: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=167930
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited May 23, 2010
    You might also consider a Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, f4-6.3 EX DG HSM. While the aperture does get pretty slow/small at the long end, overall image quality is still pretty good at 500mm. The HSM AF motor is pretty quick too. Unfortunately it works best in very good light.

A teleconverter should work pretty nicely with your 80-200mm, f2.8. As Rookieshooter mentioned you would probably be happiest with the results from the Nikon 1.4x converter, but many folks also like the 1.7x converter with that lens. The 2x converter generally gives too much loss in sharpness and contrast and edge aberrations to be much use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You might also consider a Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, f4-6.3 EX DG HSM. While the aperture does get pretty slow/small at the long end, overall image quality is still pretty good at 500mm. The HSM AF motor is pretty quick too. Unfortunately it works best in very good light.

A teleconverter should work pretty nicely with your 80-200mm, f2.8. As Rookieshooter mentioned you would probably be happiest with the results from the Nikon 1.4x converter, but many folks also like the 1.7x converter with that lens. The 2x converter generally gives too much loss in sharpness and contrast and edge aberrations to be much use.

...thanks, Ziggy and Rookieshooter...the 1.4 puts me pretty much where I was and with the ISO performance of the D700 I should actually have improved results...thanks!

cg
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    ...so I've received my TC14e II and promptly hooked it up to my new (back from Nikon and working fine!) D700...then went to attach my AF Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 D (also rehabbed at Nikon and perfect), and...ack! I must've read the specs wrong 'cause they won't align. Went online and found a surgical course of action (where you shave off a tang) which I'm quite capable of doing, and wouldn't mind BUT; will my auto focus work? Otherwise I'm still trying to extend the reach without hawking the farm...almost to the "what the hell" stage now...heh...

cg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited May 29, 2010
    Which Nikkor 80-200mm do you have? The TC-14E II is compatible only with the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D IF-ED AF-S.

The Nikon TC-14E II page has a compatibility chart:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2129/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-14E-II.html

If you have the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D ED (current model, no AF-S and not internal focus, also known as the 80-200mm, f2.8 ED AF-D) you might have to go with a third party teleconverter for maximum physical compatibility unless you go with the manual focus Nikkor TC-14B or TC-201, 2x converters (which I do not recommend).

In the case of a third party converter, it looks like folks are having pretty good results with the Kenko Teleplus Pro and Tamron SP series teleconverters.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Which Nikkor 80-200mm do you have? The TC-14E II is compatible only with the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D IF-ED AF-S.

The Nikon TC-14E II page has a compatibility chart:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2129/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-14E-II.html

If you have the Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D ED (current model, no AF-S and not internal focus, also known as the 80-200mm, f2.8 ED AF-D) you might have to go with a third party teleconverter for maximum physical compatibility unless you go with the manual focus Nikkor TC-14B or TC-201, 2x converters (which I do not recommend).

In the case of a third party converter, it looks like folks are having pretty good results with the Kenko Teleplus Pro and Tamron SP series teleconverters.

...well, I'm embarrassed to say that I flat didn't read the specs right, or didn't read the nomenclature on my lens correctly...my 80-200 is AF...not AF-S. Just had it in to Nikon and it's pristine, but no go on the ol' fit with the TC.
    I found the hack, and it's very doable...even had a conversation today with a tech/repair guy at the local camera emporium, he said it'd work. I'm going to verify by calling Nikon Tuesday...if there is any iffy-ness at all I'll just pack the thing and put it up for sale...problem is, if all goes wrong, that in order to do what I want I need to pick-up a used TC designed for that lens, 'cause they don't make 'em anymore! Heh, pretty wormy, but I'm steadfast in trying to get this resolved by the end of June...I actually have a Kenko 2x and it's never worked well with that lens, sigh...thanks for the help!

cg
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    I would return the nikon tc and buy the kenko 1.4. It will still autofocus with the kenko, assuming you need af.