Options

Selling digital files, pricing

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited June 11, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
What do pros typically charge for their digital photos? And is there a particular "best" way to do this from SmugMug? Or do you usually email the chosen photos after you get paid for them? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    A company I work for recently bought images from smugmug. We will do so again - main criteria:
    - Easy to search for a particular theme (content) so think about Tagging your images to make searching easier..
    - Very reasonable pricing. Great individuality, better effect than 99% of stock images which are outstandingly boring.
    - When we buy from an agency we normally pay 20-40$ for limited use of a stock image. The plus for an agency buy is that we trust that minor copyright issues are cleared and we are dealing with the agency (legal entity) who represents the photos - with Smugmug I am not so sure but I'll hold the photographer individually responsible in the unlikely event that any shit hits the fan. (The smugmug deal is basically between buyer and smugmug member).
    - Very easy payment and delivery. Via credit card. The pro account takes care of logistics as far as I can see. We simply download after payment.
    - Trust. The Smugmug folks seem to be a decent outfit and, implicitly, so are their members.

By the way, we do not want to own your digital master. Just to get a copyright disclaimer. Please keep ownership and responsibility for the original. Also bear in mind that we like to be a bit boring when we buy this stuff - it is adding visual interest to a carefully crafted story so it needs to fit. So keep the message very simple.

Other tips:
    - Keep the selection small. When I search for someone texting on a mobile phone I do not want to select from a library of 300 shots.
    - Think about the usage. In above case I do not really care about the girl's hair. I need an image to add visual interest to a story. Arty effects equal extra hassle because they distract the audience from the main storyline. Very rarely are stories written around a photo and then I would not expect to be buying such a photo via a stock agency.
    - don't back away from being responsible for what you are selling. I will never take ownership of your grey zones
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    GoofBckt wrote: »
    Or do you usually email the chosen photos after you get paid for them? ne_nau.gif
    Carrie, SmugMug can take care of all of that if you wish: http://www.smugmug.com/help/sell-digital-downloads

One can purchase digital files from your smug account like you would prints. After the customer has paid, he/she will get the option to download the files. It doesn't require interaction on your side thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    What you wrote is basically what I was thinking and I needed confirmation. Very good advice. I appreciate your time and thank you. :D

A company I work for recently bought images from smugmug. We will do so again - main criteria:
    - Easy to search for a particular theme (content) so think about Tagging your images to make searching easier..
    - Very reasonable pricing. Great individuality, better effect than 99% of stock images which are outstandingly boring.
    - When we buy from an agency we normally pay 20-40$ for limited use of a stock image. The plus for an agency buy is that we trust that minor copyright issues are cleared and we are dealing with the agency (legal entity) who represents the photos - with Smugmug I am not so sure but I'll hold the photographer individually responsible in the unlikely event that any shit hits the fan. (The smugmug deal is basically between buyer and smugmug member).
    - Very easy payment and delivery. Via credit card. The pro account takes care of logistics as far as I can see. We simply download after payment.
    - Trust. The Smugmug folks seem to be a decent outfit and, implicitly, so are their members.

By the way, we do not want to own your digital master. Just to get a copyright disclaimer. Please keep ownership and responsibility for the original. Also bear in mind that we like to be a bit boring when we buy this stuff - it is adding visual interest to a carefully crafted story so it needs to fit. So keep the message very simple.

Other tips:
    - Keep the selection small. When I search for someone texting on a mobile phone I do not want to select from a library of 300 shots.
    - Think about the usage. In above case I do not really care about the girl's hair. I need an image to add visual interest to a story. Arty effects equal extra hassle because they distract the audience from the main storyline. Very rarely are stories written around a photo and then I would not expect to be buying such a photo via a stock agency.
    - don't back away from being responsible for what you are selling. I will never take ownership of your grey zones
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    The SmugMug system works very well. I have used it to transfer images to the PR firm we use at work for press releases, photography is an avocation for me not my main vocation. Having the PR firm go through SmugMug means that they can browse the photos and get what they want. I get some proof that I provided the image and everyone walks away happy.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    But is there a way to set gallery prices for digital photos only, rather than differing sizes and finishes, etc?
    The SmugMug system works very well. I have used it to transfer images to the PR firm we use at work for press releases, photography is an avocation for me not my main vocation. Having the PR firm go through SmugMug means that they can browse the photos and get what they want. I get some proof that I provided the image and everyone walks away happy.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2010
    I meant digital sales . .

But is there a way to set gallery prices for digital photos only, rather than differing sizes and finishes, etc?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Please keep it simple.

We can easily downsize and crop images to fit so we prefer to buy rights for a straight forward jpeg with max detail.

In smugmug terms I would put the same price for any resolution. I either like your photo or I don't.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited May 31, 2010
    If you don't want to sell anything besides digital downloads, set the prices for everything else to zero ($0). You can do that on a gallery by gallery basis, so if you have some galleries that you intend to use only for selling downloads then you can limit the sales from that gallery to downloads.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    If you don't want to sell anything besides digital downloads, set the prices for everything else to zero ($0). You can do that on a gallery by gallery basis, so if you have some galleries that you intend to use only for selling downloads then you can limit the sales from that gallery to downloads.

--- Denise

Perhaps Goofbckt should ask this on the smugmug board - I don't understand how it works in detail.

If I was using smugmug to sell shots I would keep my site very focussed on that goal. I would open a second account for my personal stuff. Don't expect buyers to trawl through your galleries - they have a very specific problem to solve and quickly.

On my selling site everything would be for sale, albeit with different prices but nothing is free.

Keep the pricing and terms very simple. People who buy this stuff are usually under time pressure. It is about getting a good result quickly at a market rate. So it needs to be easy to find, they need to find you easily for a repeat buy, and it must be zero hassle.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited May 31, 2010
    On my selling site everything would be for sale, albeit with different prices but nothing is free.
    Agreed.

But she was asking about selling only digital downloads. Her smug site already has pricing for other items - so if she only wants certain photos to be sold as downloads and nothing else they would need to be placed in a gallery where the other items are not offererd for sale. Setting the price to zero (in the pricing tool) removes the ability to purchase that item, so it is possible to price downloads and disallow other sales. It's up to the gallery owner.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Good point.
    She has made many brilliant photos with a sensitive artistic spirit. There are also protected galleries for shoots - all in all a very personal and diverse site which respects privacy. I think she and I would get along personally should we ever meet. I like her already.

I try to help her in this thread to sell stock photos to an anonymous and sometimes brutal world.

The site she has is brilliant for people who know her or for people who are personally recommended, even for people who are looking for fine art.

It does not work as a commercial vehicle for stock photos.

So, eg, when she likes to sell horse pics she needs to have a site which people can find easily and which just contains horses.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    Thank you so much for all this. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. I know exactly what I'm going to do now, this was all a raging success as far as I'm concerned. :D
    Good point.
    She has made many brilliant photos with a sensitive artistic spirit. There are also protected galleries for shoots - all in all a very personal and diverse site which respects privacy. I think she and I would get along personally should we ever meet. I like her already.

I try to help her in this thread to sell stock photos to an anonymous and sometimes brutal world.

The site she has is brilliant for people who know her or for people who are personally recommended, even for people who are looking for fine art.

It does not work as a commercial vehicle for stock photos.

So, eg, when she likes to sell horse pics she needs to have a site which people can find easily and which just contains horses.