Options

How to let certain user download protected content?

ShingoShingo Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited June 5, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Here's the scenario, I shoot a body painting gig, the painter and model want access to the original pictures but the gallery is protected.

I want an easy solution to let the painter and model access the original full resolution files but everyone else see the files with the protected contents and watermark on.

It would be neat if you could select download and either buy them or download them with a password.

The only workaround I have found so far would be to duplicate the gallery, one private password protected and the other public. But I do not like this solution because it's bit more work and it's not efficient.

I'm new to smugmug, so maybe I miss something.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    I'm sorry, there's not a different way - wish I had a better answer for you!
  • Options
    TheDeepTheDeep Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Really wish you could do this. I assumed that you could set images into a "smart gallery" and then have different setting (protection, watermarking, sizing) for the smart gallery and the original. But apparently this is not possible.

When you do prepaid "work for hire" for a client, but also want to sell images to others, it would be really important to have a feature here the "client that already paid" could go in and download images. Hope something like this is in the works!

Meanwhile, is there at least a way to duplicate a galley (and then modify settings in that gallery) without having to re-upload every single image to a new gallery?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    TheDeep wrote: »
    Really wish you could do this. I assumed that you could set images into a "smart gallery" and then have different setting (protection, watermarking, sizing) for the smart gallery and the original. But apparently this is not possible.

When you do prepaid "work for hire" for a client, but also want to sell images to others, it would be really important to have a feature here the "client that already paid" could go in and download images. Hope something like this is in the works!

Meanwhile, is there at least a way to duplicate a galley (and then modify settings in that gallery) without having to re-upload every single image to a new gallery?
    There is no way to duplicate a gallery. Re-upload is the best option available.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    There is no way to duplicate a gallery. Re-upload is the best option available.

Oh no! In my specific case I Do not have those edites anymore... Ok next workaround: is there a way to download and entire gallery to my location and then re-upload same batch of images to a new gallery?
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    Oh no! In my specific case I Do not have those edites anymore... Ok next workaround: is there a way to download and entire gallery to my location and then re-upload same batch of images to a new gallery?
    See RapidFetcher here for downloading whole galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    See RapidFetcher here for downloading whole galleries.

This would look great but I see no windows 64-bit version :(
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    This would look great but I see no windows 64-bit version :(
    Can't windows 64-bit run 32-bit apps? It's just an app, not a device driver.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    Can't windows 64-bit run 32-bit apps? It's just an app, not a device driver.

I am testing it right now.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2010
    Thanks you for the link. I did not get it to work yet (fetching images list still... perhaps it is supposed to take this long...)

If this works the I will henceforth create two galleries for each upload I do, one public with smaller watermarked images and one password protected with originals. If course, that results in much longer upload times for me and more space used on Smugmug servers. If you could add functionality to reference same image but with different settings in different galleries, it would be a win-win for everyone and make us who sell both images and "gig" very happy campers!

Thank you again for your very fast replies!