Options

Summertime

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 13, 2010 in People
We spent the last week at Sandestin Resort on Mirimar Beach near Destin, Florida. This has become an annual pilgrimmage for us for the last dozen or so summers. Its hot, sandy, and fun...and the water was beautiful as we beat the inevitable oil that is to come.

So, I usually bring a P&S to the beach....to keep sand and water off my DSLRs, but decided to keep the 50D with me most of the time this trip. I tucked it with either the 50mm F1.4 or 17-55 F2.8IS in a gallon zip lock bag and dropped it in a beach bag. I just kept the 70-200 in the beach bag in its own zippered case. This seemed to be a good idea as I havent noticed any sand in the gear....yet. I only brought the flash out on the final evening for a shoot the kids wanted to do. There I used a 45 inch umbrella and single off camera 580EX with the STE2 in ETTL mode.

In any event, here are a few shots from our vacation...

1- A late afternoon natural light shot of Tina on the beach. We made the sunset trip every afternoon.

891583852_4B7wP-L.jpg

2- Again natural light and heavily backlit by afternoon sun. Tina brought an old friend along.
891580556_2Zstd-M-1.jpg

3- I dont know these folks, but I have heard them scream.:D
891581049_s99fu-M-1.jpg

4- My wife and I made early morning treks along the beach....coffee in hand. Our favorite time of day to be on the beach.
891581968_PPgoa-M-1.jpg

5-
891580212_cErqT-M-1.jpg

6-Some tornadic activity we spotted one morning following an earlier storm.
891582225_vtuYa-M-1.jpg

7-
891582508_jYKiQ-L-1.jpg

8-
891583226_acr3e-L.jpg

9-
891584397_z3X2g-L.jpg

10-
891584953_KUTPG-L.jpg

11-
891585712_hRZDK-L.jpg

12-
891581618_pqwV9-M-1.jpg

13-
891588149_ik3ZJ-M.jpg

14-
891587834_kfzuK-M.jpg

15-
891586831_HZp5s-L.jpg

16- Shot this at Baytown Wharf at Sandestin....a great place to shop, eat, be entertained.
891587631_ZmcLE-M.jpg

17- A high ISO natural light shot taken well after sundown.
891590145_9JkC2-M.jpg

18- The rest were shot with a flash and umbrella against afternoon light.
891591663_hAK9D-L.jpg

19-
891590333_VKPrP-L.jpg

20-
891590807_9dpTk-L.jpg

21-My girls!
891591132_wCq8J-L.jpg

22-
891590889_RDScq-L.jpg

23-
891590486_oYxtT-L.jpg

24- Beach Combers
891586693_Q9sVN-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Always a pleasure to see your shots, Jeff! That first one is your "trademark" style thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Always a pleasure to see your shots, Jeff! That first one is your "trademark" style thumb.gif

Thanks for commenting...and Ill add a final shot.

In this one....beyond and to the right of my people you can see a black umbrella. Several times early last week we ran across the Tennessee Titan cheerleaders and an enormous crew shooting photos and video on the beach and at the Baytown Wharf. Swimsuit calender is my guess...along with a "making of" video. They had some impressive gear! (the photographers did....for the record!!!rolleyes1.gif)

891650287_zVJCr-L.jpg
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Pretty, pretty!! clap.gif Your friends must envy you that you always get to hang out with such beautiful girls!! iloveyou.gif

Beautiful photos!!! Always nice to see your work! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. My daughter are impressed, too. I hope this inspires them to put up with my camera on trips.
  • Options
    Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    So inspiring. Makes me want to grab my camera and go to the beach. Such beautiful photos.thumb.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Wonderful set, as always. 8 & 11 are my faves from the set.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Wow - great set!
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Lovely variety throughout this series Jeff. Looks like you and family had a great time. All are very nice shots. I'm loving the one with the 3 colored chairs....just takes me there. Glad you found some time to get away as it sounds as though you've been real busy this past 6 months.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    The first thing that pops into my head is: "Oh Lord to be young again" :D

The second is: Very nice work! I think you captured the essence of these youg ladies.

Sam
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Excellent set of images - Really like the versatility in your lighting...And I think you timed your trip just right, because I hear that tarballs are starting to roll up on the shores of Fort Walton :-(
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Pretty, pretty!! clap.gif Your friends must envy you that you always get to hang out with such beautiful girls!! iloveyou.gif

Beautiful photos!!! Always nice to see your work! iloveyou.gif

Maybe....

But they don't envy me having to feed and clthe them...buy their cars and insurance....keep money in their pockets while they are away at school....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your kind remarks!:D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Wonderful set, as always. 8 & 11 are my faves from the set.

Funny....those two are nearly the same pose but with a shift in position on their part...and mine.

Thanks for commenting.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    Glad you found some time to get away as it sounds as though you've been real busy this past 6 months.

Thanks for looking and leaving a comment Dave.

Truth be told I have been far busier than I have let on here. Aside from the personal issues I have alluded to in other threads I have been under the gun at my full time job. I returned to 7 day 12 hour shifts per week until the end of July at the soonest. Im on the grind now!!!!...and wishing I were back there burning up on the beach.

I hope they are worth visiting this time next year....ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    The first thing that pops into my head is: "Oh Lord to be young again" :D

The second is: Very nice work! I think you captured the essence of these youg ladies.

Sam

Heh Heh rolleyes1.gif

I was invited to my very first sorority party a few months ago.....finally....but...I too am much too old to have a good time there.:D

Thanks for commenting Sam.thumb.gif
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Hey Jeff, another great beach series of your beautiful ladies and beautiful location. We talked locations last year after you posted and I mentioned Topsail Hill Preserve. The last few (begginning with the ones with the sea oats and boardwalk) looks like they could be from that location; am I right. We love the dunes, sea oats and uncrowded beach there. We head out July 10th for 8 days if the oil does not come in before us.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    rhondavid wrote: »
    Hey Jeff, another great beach series of your beautiful ladies and beautiful location. We talked locations last year after you posted and I mentioned Topsail Hill Preserve. The last few (begginning with the ones with the sea oats and boardwalk) looks like they could be from that location; am I right. We love the dunes, sea oats and uncrowded beach there. We head out July 10th for 8 days if the oil does not come in before us.

Alas I didnt make it to Topsail Hill. I left the resort early one morning to scout it, but the gate was still closed...too early!!!

But...

I continued exploring down HWY 30A and happened to find the beach where the photos you mentioned were taken. If you pass Topsail Hill and continue over the bridge on 30A this is the first public beach you come to. A couple dozen parking spaces and a public restroom are there. It's right next to a purple and yellow beach house.....and a little farther than "Stinky's" resturant.

It was much more peaceful at this beach rather than the one at the resort...and we spent most of our beach time there. I had heard that oil was to reach shore in Destin yesterday...but I am not sure if it did. Were it me, Id ask for a hefty discount and go even if oil is present...especially if you have a place with a pool. There is plenty more to do there than wade in the surf, and Im sure their economy would appreciate the trip. Dont miss the wharf in Sandestin Resort....especially at night. Lots to do there from concerts to movies to the piano duel. Check it out for sure!
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    SUCH a fabulous set Jeff!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed each and every picture! Your style is so amazing. Thanks for sharing the details on your setups. I always learn so much from your posts! Great memories and a beautiful family!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Gorgeous ladies + beautiful setting + stunning photos = fabulous memories saved!

Thanks for sharing your lovely work, Jeff!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2010
    kidzmom wrote: »
    Your style is so amazing. Thanks for sharing the details on your setups. I always learn so much from your posts! Great memories and a beautiful family!

Who?

Me?

I aint got no stinkin style!!!!rolleyes1.gif

...but seriously....thank you for commenting. I have gained much here on Dgrin myself, and am always happy to provide details on how any particular thing Ive done was accomplished.thumb.gif