Options

A dozen from Yosemite

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 11, 2010 in Landscapes
Yosemite is so amazing... here's a sampling of shots taken from dawn to dusk during my all too brief trip last week.

#1: Rainbow over Yosemite Valley (I'll offer this shot as an exclusive because all the other photographers ran away when it started raining!)

882441143_6reHL-L.jpg

#2: Fog over Yosemite Valley

882417742_yHGip-L.jpg

#3: Bridalveil Fall Rainbows

882011177_qrAb2-L.jpg

#4: Dogwood and the Merced River (unfortunately the Dogwood blooms were a little past peak when I arrived)

882437799_JzCUi-L.jpg

#5: Oncoming rain storm (which lead to the rainbow in the first shot)

882440213_sxvkU-L.jpg

#6: El Capitan and Half Dome at sunrise

882451288_ZjEEL-L.jpg

#7: Stormy day at Bridalveil Fall

882424448_z4qRg-L.jpg

#8: Sunlight over the valley

882433931_eJGPa-L.jpg

#9: Rainbows over Yosemite Creek

882422309_6EyHs-L.jpg

#10: Before dawn from Tunnel View

882455629_CFqkV-L.jpg

#11: Half Dome reflecting in the Merced (I took this shot while standing in the river)

882447673_pBNF9-L.jpg

#12: Gentle Giant (one of the many sequoias in the Mariposa Grove)

882447207_thRnd-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I have to be honest(with myself) here Ron and say that I wish that I had half the talent that you do!! These are incredible!! I truly am hard pressed to pic a favorite, but #8 is pretty incredible. The light is just amazing!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    3,8,9, and 10. WOWZERS. Very wonderful captures.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Really nice set of images. What a range of stuff here. Nice... thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Wonderful images, Ron. 1, 6 & 10 are simply gorgeous! clap.gif

Was it warm enough there for car camping yet or did you have to crash at the lodge?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Another set of awesome landscape photos, Ron! Thanks for sharing. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    YosemYosem Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    yosemite dozen
    I prefer images 1 and 9 out of the collection. Some nice finds from tunnel view and great variety with the river and fall images. Great work here
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Hi Ron,

Beautiful rainbow in pic #1, great light capture in #8. Very nice - All !!!!
    I may have been shooting on the other side of the mountain in Death Valley while you were in Yosemite. :D

I heard that the roads in the higher elevation were closed due to snow two weeks ago.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I love #12
    I never had the energy to get to Tunnel View at that time of day. The shot is beautiful...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    I have to be honest(with myself) here Ron and say that I wish that I had half the talent that you do!! These are incredible!! I truly am hard pressed to pic a favorite, but #8 is pretty incredible. The light is just amazing!

Ron

Thanks Ron, #8 was pretty cool, it was about 20-30 minutes after sunrise, I wanted to see if the fog in the foreground would light up.
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    3,8,9, and 10. WOWZERS. Very wonderful captures.

Thanks!
    Really nice set of images. What a range of stuff here. Nice... thumb.gif

There's definitely a lot of things to shoot in Yosemite - and their would have been even more if Tioga Pass or Glacier Point were open.
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Wonderful images, Ron. 1, 6 & 10 are simply gorgeous! clap.gif

Was it warm enough there for car camping yet or did you have to crash at the lodge?

It was cold the first day (sunrise was 28 degrees! It looks like temps are in the 80s now and there are flood warnings), after that it was moderate. I slept in the car when I was out shooting all night since sunrise was only a few hours later, but otherwise I was in a motel near El Portal which was more occupied in the middle of the day than at night.
    dogwood wrote: »
    Another set of awesome landscape photos, Ron! Thanks for sharing. :D

Thanks!
    Yosem wrote: »
    I prefer images 1 and 9 out of the collection. Some nice finds from tunnel view and great variety with the river and fall images. Great work here

I usually head up to Tunnel View to get an idea of what's going on in the valley (for instance, to see if there's too much fog below), and a lot of times, I remained there.
    Fred W wrote: »
    Hi Ron,

Beautiful rainbow in pic #1, great light capture in #8. Very nice - All !!!!
    I may have been shooting on the other side of the mountain in Death Valley while you were in Yosemite. :D

I heard that the roads in the higher elevation were closed due to snow two weeks ago.

Tioga Pass was still closed, not sure about the other roads east of Yosemite. I was thinking of heading to Death Valley if Tioga Pass was open but it wasn't, so it would be a 10 hour drive (which is doable, but it would mean I would have missed a sunrise, since I always like to shoot sunset in Yosemite).
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I never had the energy to get to Tunnel View at that time of day. The shot is beautiful...

One way is to just sleep in your car after shooting sunset, I've done that a few times :D
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Geez, what a fantastic series. 3, 6 and 10 are spectacular. I have to make it out there.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Awesome job as always
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Wonderful! When I tried to go there, the pass closed on me :( but one day I hope to go back. Since it won't be anytime soon thanks for the photographic trip through the park. clap.gif
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    I like #1 thru #12. that makes it easy as they were all great captures!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Geez, what a fantastic series. 3, 6 and 10 are spectacular. I have to make it out there.

Indeed you do! It's north of Joshua Tree :)
    Awesome job as always

Thanks Awais!
    Tharhawk wrote: »
    Wonderful! When I tried to go there, the pass closed on me :( but one day I hope to go back. Since it won't be anytime soon thanks for the photographic trip through the park. clap.gif

Well, you don't have to worry about me ending up on top of a mountain, so I'll let your photos substitute for that experience! Tioga Pass just opened today, so if you did find yourself down there, you'll be OK for the next few months.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    I like #1 thru #12. that makes it easy as they were all great captures!

Thanks Doug!
  • Options
    TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    You would love the mountains, especially from the top. Fear is a learned reaction. It can be unlearned. You can make fear make you smile (okay, okay, I am often scared shitless, but I just tell people it was awesome thumb.gif) and people are like, "Wow, that guy never gets scared." It's far from the truth; I just learn to like fear.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote: »
    You would love the mountains, especially from the top. Fear is a learned reaction. It can be unlearned. You can make fear make you smile (okay, okay, I am often scared shitless, but I just tell people it was awesome thumb.gif) and people are like, "Wow, that guy never gets scared." It's far from the truth; I just learn to like fear.

I only wish fear was the issue, it's more being out of shape - getting myself into that kind of condition would require work, man! Also it would require more advanced planning and some actual technical know-how than my current system (which is check the forecast a few hours before sunrise or sunset and drive forever and sleep never).

I'm as stupid and reckless as the next guy, here's an example:

605760028_Y3WQd-M.jpg

Not saying I wouldn't be afraid - I certainly would be - but that's not the thing that's blocking me (that comes later!).
  • Options
    filadogfiladog Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2010
    Beautiful photos.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I guess these are okay shots. j/k I do like 1 and 2 the best.

Here is some interesting info on what goes into opening Tioga Pass each year...
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    nice set (as usual ... it's sort of getting boring saying this :D). had been looking forward to seeing your rainbow shot at tunnel view... i guess it pays to be patient. great shot. that, in addition to the dogwoods over the merced (nice job in keeping the flowers sharp and movement free in the longer exposure) and the double rainbow at yosemite creek are my faves.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    BeachBill wrote: »
    I guess these are okay shots. j/k I do like 1 and 2 the best.

Here is some interesting info on what goes into opening Tioga Pass each year...
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Thanks Bill - it's amazing the work that goes into opening some of those mountain passes and higher elevation roads. Very dangerous stuff.
    dls wrote: »
    nice set (as usual ... it's sort of getting boring saying this :D). had been looking forward to seeing your rainbow shot at tunnel view... i guess it pays to be patient. great shot. that, in addition to the dogwoods over the merced (nice job in keeping the flowers sharp and movement free in the longer exposure) and the double rainbow at yosemite creek are my faves.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get around to processing them with that fancy new computer and software.
    filadog wrote: »
    Beautiful photos.

Thank you!
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Amazing shots, in this thread and your other night shots. I keep seeing everyones shots of Yosemite and get way too excited. I'll be there in 4 weeks today on a holiday from Australia and can only dream of getting shots like these. If mine are half as good I'll be very happy!

We've only got 2/3 days in the park due to a rushed 6 week trip travelling over 4500 miles. What are the must see spots for early July?
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote: »
    Amazing shots, in this thread and your other night shots. I keep seeing everyones shots of Yosemite and get way too excited. I'll be there in 4 weeks today on a holiday from Australia and can only dream of getting shots like these. If mine are half as good I'll be very happy!

We've only got 2/3 days in the park due to a rushed 6 week trip travelling over 4500 miles. What are the must see spots for early July?

Everywhere! All park roads are open as of a few days ago.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1930238002 is very good at highlighting the classic spots (Tunnel View, Glacier Point, Cooks Meadow, Valley View, the main waterfalls (Upper and Lower Yosemite, Bridalveil, Vernal, Nevada), and also Toulumne Meadows and Mono Lake.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Ron you are REALLY inspiring me to get back to Yosemite.

There are plenty of shots in this forum of this place and I'm consistently surprised at how different everyone captures them. I don't think I've seen a better shot from Tunnel View than your sunrise shot with the lightbeams. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Great series - especially the sunrise shot. I'm never awake early enough to shoot those and always wondered if they'd be worth getting up early for some day. :D

Where was the Bridalveil Fall rainbow shot from? Tunnel view pullout or along Southside Drive on the valley floor?

Thanks for sharing the pics.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Ron you are REALLY inspiring me to get back to Yosemite.

There are plenty of shots in this forum of this place and I'm consistently surprised at how different everyone captures them. I don't think I've seen a better shot from Tunnel View than your sunrise shot with the lightbeams. bowdown.gif

There's a chance I'll head to Yosemite later this month to try moonbows again, I'll let you know :) I might have to do the fly/rent a car thing rather than driving depending on how much time I can be away.
    Thwack wrote: »
    Great series - especially the sunrise shot. I'm never awake early enough to shoot those and always wondered if they'd be worth getting up early for some day. :D

Where was the Bridalveil Fall rainbow shot from? Tunnel view pullout or along Southside Drive on the valley floor?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

The Bridalveil Fall shot was from Tunnel View, taken around 4:30 PM (sun was at 267 degrees).
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Fantastic shots Ron - especially 2 and 6!
    E

ps - I love your 'blog' rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I've been to Yosemite many times, but you've captured in ways I've only dreamed of! All I can say is WOW!!! Love the dogwood pic...so creative and smart of you to shoot it that way. The rest are simply breathtaking...all the sorts of photos i wish i could get but somehow most often fall far short of. Your photos are truly inspiring and frustrating at the same time, Laughing.gif!

We were just there for a day trip on Labor Day weekend...something I do NOT recommend! The roads were jammed and it took hours just to get to Curry Village, and of course parking was not gonna happen, so we basically did a very slow drive through Yosemite Valley and out again. We came in from the west entrance along the Merced River instead of our usual HWY 41 route, so we missed the tunnel view this trip...but that's ok because we ran into some travelers who took that route and they were stuck in the tunnel with cars running their engines for 45 minutes! So no real photo ops happened this trip...just whatever could be captured from the seat of the car, sigh. But the waterfalls (well, what we could see of them) were awesome and I hope we can go back again real soon when it's a more normal time. With the heat of summer the flows disappear, so now is the time to go for the best waterfall shots (and this is actually a late season thanks to the above average snowfall this year).

Can't wait for our next trip there and I'll have your photos as the high benchmark for the sorts of shots to aim for. Thanks for sharing~ Nee
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Fantastic shots Ron - especially 2 and 6!
    E

ps - I love your 'blog' rolleyes1.gif

I think it's time I replaced it with a redirect again lol3.gif
    Nee7x7 wrote: »
    I've been to Yosemite many times, but you've captured in ways I've only dreamed of! All I can say is WOW!!! Love the dogwood pic...so creative and smart of you to shoot it that way. The rest are simply breathtaking...all the sorts of photos i wish i could get but somehow most often fall far short of. Your photos are truly inspiring and frustrating at the same time, Laughing.gif!

We were just there for a day trip on Labor Day weekend...something I do NOT recommend! The roads were jammed and it took hours just to get to Curry Village, and of course parking was not gonna happen, so we basically did a very slow drive through Yosemite Valley and out again. We came in from the west entrance along the Merced River instead of our usual HWY 41 route, so we missed the tunnel view this trip...but that's ok because we ran into some travelers who took that route and they were stuck in the tunnel with cars running their engines for 45 minutes! So no real photo ops happened this trip...just whatever could be captured from the seat of the car, sigh. But the waterfalls (well, what we could see of them) were awesome and I hope we can go back again real soon when it's a more normal time. With the heat of summer the flows disappear, so now is the time to go for the best waterfall shots (and this is actually a late season thanks to the above average snowfall this year).

Can't wait for our next trip there and I'll have your photos as the high benchmark for the sorts of shots to aim for. Thanks for sharing~ Nee

I love Yosemite (this was only my second visit, my first was in January), but I can't stand crowds and I knew it would be bad, even though the forecast was great for night photography, so I left on the Thursday before the onslaught :)

The water levels were much higher than when I was there in January and it was definitely noticeable. I may make a return trip this month if things work out, if not, it's likely I won't be back until winter.
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Yosemite is so amazing... here's a sampling of shots taken from dawn to dusk during my all too brief trip last week.

#11: Half Dome reflecting in the Merced (I took this shot while standing in the river)

882447673_pBNF9-L.jpg

What photographers would do to get a shotclap.gifclapclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Ron - thanks for the info on where you shot Bridalveil from.

As for water levels, if you want some good reflection shots off the Merced River, late Oct and beyond have worked out well for me. Levels and rate of flow are down enough that there are plenty of glassy-smooth sections. If the wind kicks up, you can get some cool textures on the reflections…

Nee7x7 wrote: »
    <snip>

We were just there for a day trip on Labor Day weekend...something I do NOT recommend! The roads were jammed…<snip>

I made the same mistake on Sunday of Memorial Weekend - but came back the next afternoon (Memorial Day itself) and the park was back to normal. Tons of available parking, almost nobody else on the trail to Mirror Lake, no lines at the shops on the valley floor…

But never again on the Saturday or Sunday of Memorial Weekend! (though we did see a bear as a consolation prize on the way out of the park Sunday) :D

The weather on Memorial Day itself was very cloudy as afternoon turned to evening. I'll take the clouds any day over the crowds though.