Options

Photos are being stolen from SM Here

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    This depends upon your point of view. If sharing with friends and family is your first priority, then today's default settings are perfect. Since I don't sell my images and thus there is no income on the line, I'd rather it be easy to share with my friends and family than worry about whether someone is stealing my images.

I, like you, want to share....don't sell and would opt for the inconvenience of security. It's just sensible to have the door locked instead of wide open. That's my point of view.
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I keep right click off and all my galleries unlisted as well as watermarked. I don't see a single one from my SM galleries.ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I keep right click off and all my galleries unlisted as well as watermarked. I don't see a single one from my SM galleries.ne_nau.gif
    If all your galleries are unlisted, then Smugmug provides no public access, thus no search engine will find them via Smugmug. How does someone from the public find your galleries? Or do you not share with the public?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I've filed a DMCA notice, you all should email legal@powweb-inc.com and do this:
    In order to substantially comply with the DMCA and our TOS, you must send a “Proper Notice”, as defined below:

"Proper notice" contains the following:
    a. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
    b. Actual identification of the material you claim violates your copyright, or if there is more than one violation, a representative list.
    c. Sufficient information to enable us to locate the material you claim infringes your copyright. Please include the URL, rather than a description of the content.
    d. Information that enables us to contact you. Anonymous DMCA complaints will not be honored.
    e. The following statement: "I have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."
    f. The following statement: "Under the penalty of perjury I state that the information contained in my complaint is accurate and I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright I claim is infringed."
    As you may know, we are a web hosting company. We are not responsible for the content posted by our customers who create and place content on websites that we host. We further do not "monitor" the websites that we host or prescreen the content placed by our members on their sites. However, when we become aware of alleged illegal infringing activity by one of our customers on a hosted site, which would be a violation of our TOS governing the member sites, we take such situations seriously, investigate promptly, and take appropriate action.
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    My photos are on that site also, but every one of mine that's there is also on Flickr. If it's not on Flickr, it's not on their site.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    jachang wrote: »
    My photos are on that site also, but every one of mine that's there is also on Flickr. If it's not on Flickr, it's not on their site.

NONE of the photos of mine they are using are from Flickr, just SM.

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I've filed a DMCA notice, you all should email legal@powweb-inc.com and do this:
    Andy -
    Thanks for the details.

I've also filed a DMCA notice.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Harryb wrote: »
    Apparently these fools are stealing everything that is in view. Why would anybody steal an image in this format?

32571300_paqVv-L.jpg

It has to be some automated process where they just grab anything they can get w/o any kind of quality control. It doesn't cost them anything and any $ they get is pure profit.

Yeah...they have 89 of mine and only 3 or so that are something anyone might want. Mostly family shots and tiny images. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Now I feel like a complete failure...................not one of my images is worthy of theft......:cry:cry:cry

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Now I feel like a complete failure...................not one of my images is worthy of theft......:cry:cry:cry

Sam

hah! Normally mine are not worthy of theft either but not so sure I like having them (finally?) taken...

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

Found tons of mine, but oddly enough they are almost all video thumbnails. I don't think they're being too picky!

Dave
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Found tons of mine, but oddly enough they are almost all video thumbnails. I don't think they're being too picky!

Dave

You know, that's strange. There was a link on that site to videos, and I found some of my videos there. When I clicked on one, it played right from their site. The site was called SonicoMusica. It's apparently for downloading/stealing free music. I think they got the videos from YouTube, though, not SmugMug. Then again, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    here is al ink to one of mine: http://tinyurl.com/2alfdh6
    this was grabbed while I had the colorful 3 PROOFS going across it and it you clik on it 2 times it actully brings up the current watrermark: My WEB ADDRESS

States it is off Dgrin.....here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=31608
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

Andy, I am confused. Are you saying email the above addy and do a cut/paste job on this quote?
    Quote:
    In order to substantially comply with the DMCA and our TOS, you must send a “Proper Notice”, as defined below:

"Proper notice" contains the following:
    a. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
    b. Actual identification of the material you claim violates your copyright, or if there is more than one violation, a representative list.
    c. Sufficient information to enable us to locate the material you claim infringes your copyright. Please include the URL, rather than a description of the content.
    d. Information that enables us to contact you. Anonymous DMCA complaints will not be honored.
    e. The following statement: "I have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."
    f. The following statement: "Under the penalty of perjury I state that the information contained in my complaint is accurate and I am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright I claim is infringed."
    As you may know, we are a web hosting company. We are not responsible for the content posted by our customers who create and place content on websites that we host. We further do not "monitor" the websites that we host or prescreen the content placed by our members on their sites. However, when we become aware of alleged illegal infringing activity by one of our customers on a hosted site, which would be a violation of our TOS governing the member sites, we take such situations seriously, investigate promptly, and take appropriate action.
    I have found some of my images on that site as well.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited June 17, 2010
    ...Are you saying email the above addy and do a cut/paste job on this quote?
    Use the specified email address and construct an email that follows the instructions included in that quote. There are two statements in there that need to be included in your email, but you will need to include the requested detailed information as well.

--- Denise
  • Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Use the specified email address and construct an email that follows the instructions included in that quote. There are two statements in there that need to be included in your email, but you will need to include the requested detailed information as well.

--- Denise

gotcha, thanks!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I didn't have a chance to search if there were any images of mine on the site as it appears the site/account has been suspended by their hosting provider.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I didn't have a chance to search if there were any images of mine on the site as it appears the site/account has been suspended by their hosting provider.

NOPE not suspended...it is still there in all its glory.........I just cliked on the link in the 1st post and went directly there.......and searched for Crumm Castle and there it is....with my waternark and all...and a lot of other peoples pix of the same Castle
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I've found 48 of my images on the web site.

I just filed a DCMA notice via e-mail with the hosting company.

Thanks for communicating this violation and the appropriate action to take.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    EDIT: Update by Andy, June 17th, 2010. The site has been suspended. We've validated this from a whole bunch of SmugMug employees trying the site.

20100617-q2t7k6id2me47d8258hrm7awj3.jpg
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Maybe Maybe not
    I see Andy's last post was at 1:54 pm EDT. This was at 2:15

904559407_UbrdV-L.jpg

Also, there's a lot of people over at NAPP contacting the owner's of the site too.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    ebwest wrote: »
    I see Andy's last post was at 1:54 pm EDT. This was at 2:15

904559407_UbrdV-Th.jpg

Also, there's a lot of people over at NAPP contacting the owner's of the site too.

It could take some time to show up for everyone is my thinking....
  • Options
    Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    As of 2:25 PM eastern daylight time the site is back up.

Would insert a screen shot but can't figure out how to get that done here.

There is more of my SmugMug stuff there today than yesterday. Seems that sending the DCMA notice callled attentiom to the site and they went and got more.

Ken
    Ken Kovak
    KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
    http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    This from the system admin at NAPP:

This situation was just brought to my attention. After some quick research; I have found that the fotosimagen.com site is using two web hosting companies. Though the powweb.com account is now suspended; they have a mirror of their site currently being hosted at another web hosting company called midphase.com. That is why some people are getting the site suspended message and others are still able to view the live site. It just depends on which DNS entry you're hitting when your browser loads the fotosimagen.com site. The technical details of this are beyond the scope of this post; however they have two DNS entries for each web hosting company; so it's basically a 50/50 chance on which one you get.
  • Options
    pwilderpwilder Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    Hi ebwest and others... I'm the system admin at NAPP. Your forum post was brought to my attention as well and since ebwest beat me to my own post here; but only posted half of my original message to our NAPP members; I thought I'd post the remainder of it for your reference; since it would potentialy be useful:

I have just contacted support@midphase.com and would recommend that anyone with an image theft concern contact them as well to file a formal DMCA takedown request. Since the web hosting company is in the USA; they will honor a formal takedown request to remove your specific image(s); and after enough of such requests they tend to eventually decide to shut down the entire website.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    pwilder wrote: »
    Hi ebwest and others... I'm the system admin at NAPP. Your forum post was brought to my attention as well and since ebwest beat me to my own post here; but only posted half of my original message to our NAPP members; I thought I'd post the remainder of it for your reference; since it would potentialy be useful:

I have just contacted support@midphase.com and would recommend that anyone with an image theft concern contact them as well to file a formal DMCA takedown request. Since the web hosting company is in the USA; they will honor a formal takedown request to remove your specific image(s); and after enough of such requests they tend to eventually decide to shut down the entire website.

Sorry about that. I thought I had gotten it all.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    If all your galleries are unlisted, then Smugmug provides no public access, thus no search engine will find them via Smugmug. How does someone from the public find your galleries? Or do you not share with the public?
    The galleries are linked from my main web site, and it is highly public. Still nothing. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    pwilderpwilder Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    Hello again. I made my initial assessment based upon what I had been told and what is being complained about in the NAPP forum; which was that this site is illegally stealing our images. After having a chance to look at the site further; it is essentially just a tacky search engine though. They are using Yahoo thumbnail images for the small images and not actually copying the full sized pictures. From the images I've looked at; they are linking to the images directly on our web server (or the Smug Mug site, etc.); just in a way that we don't really want them being used. That is a hazard of posting images online.

Essentially; DMCA does not apply in this case since they're not actually storing the images on their server; they're just linking to the original images; so they can't be taken down by the web host. There may be some other technicality that could be used to have the site taken down. I just haven't found it yet.