Options

6/17 Site issue

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited July 12, 2010 in SmugMug Support
My galleries are looking like moths got to them today. They're missing photos, photos aren't loading, sometimes the banner (hosted on SM) doesn't load... any tips to get them working properly?

For example, the first screengrab below is how this gallery

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/Client-proofs/naturally-knotty-three-models/12582858_VKHHd

looks in FF. The screengrab below that is another page (same gallery) in IE. I'm getting the same moth eaten look in Safari on a different computer.

125690015.jpg

125690016.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Hello Pete,
    We're sorry about the site issues you are currently experiencing with the photos not loading. Our engineers are working on it and should have the site fixed soon. Stay tuned, and I will post again with an all clear

-Zac
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    SmugMug issues today. Slow and broken images everywhere.
    Anyone else having issues with SM today? I'm having tons of problems last hour or so but status page doesn't have anything up for today.
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Yep.
    ToxMox wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with SM today? I'm having tons of problems last hour or so but status page doesn't have anything up for today.

Yeah it's crawling for me. This is the worst possible time too as I just released an event. Wonderful! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Just got this email from a customer;
    Should all spaces populate with a photo. I noticed I have lots of blanks on each page but it says it is done loading. Please advise.

I just checked my site, and had the same issue.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Our engineers are on this, guys. Sorry for the trouble. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    They say they're working on it:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=170502

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Hello Pete,
    We're sorry about the site issues you are currently experiencing with the photos not loading. Our engineers are working on it and should have the site fixed soon. Stay tuned, and I will post again with an all clear

-Zac

Shouldn't there be a notice on the SmugMug Status Updates page when something like this occurs? That's the first place I look when I suspect there are operational issues, and since there wasn't anything there today, I've been troubleshooting my recent maintenance all morning.
    http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Shouldn't there be a notice on the SmugMug Status Updates page when something like this occurs? That's the first place I look when I suspect there are operational issues, and since there wasn't anything there today, I've been troubleshooting my recent maintenance all morning.
    http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/
    I agree. This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Don't have a status page if you aren't going to promptly keep it up to date. It is also the first place I check when I have issues.
  • Options
    emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I did mention that I am getting blue boxes and ?'s.and its super slow loadingne_nau.gif
    I see it was acting up last night as well.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    ToxMox wrote: »
    I agree. This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Don't have a status page if you aren't going to promptly keep it up to date. It is also the first place I check when I have issues.
    We do update the status blog but this time I've asked our Ops and this issue is not system-wide. I, for example, here in NY, don't experience any of these issues. Our engineers are working on the problem right now and will be fixing it fast I hope.

I'm sorry for the trouble.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Even if it isn't system-wide, I don't see any reason not to post a status that there is an issue affecting a portion of users. I'm in NJ and AM experiencing issues.
  • Options
    BogeyBogey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    How about sending status updates to our email accts.
    Instead of us trying every hr or so can there be some type of status that is sent to our email accts.
    Andy wrote: »
    We do update the status blog but this time I've asked our Ops and this issue is not system-wide. I, for example, here in NY, don't experience any of these issues. Our engineers are working on the problem right now and will be fixing it fast I hope.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

Hey Andy, I know you're working on it, but just so you know, I also am in NY and I am experiencing issues. I'm in Rochester, NY.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Experiencing problems here in Syracuse as well.
    I understand that it may not be widespread, but when engineers are working on a problem, it should be posted in the status area.
    This way the people that are experiencing a problem know that there is one and it is being looked at, rather than searching Dgrin for answers.
    Why have a status report if it doesn't include all problems?

It's a ridiculously small world. My wife is a network engineer and she works for a huge global networking company, and they have been dealing with a fiber cut in there network. Smugmug is one of their customers. It may be completely unrelated but like I said, small world.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Problems here in London too. Empty grey sqaures everywhere headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    we're sorry for the delay in posting to the status blog: http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/06/17/6172010-site-slowness/
  • Options
    jbexposuresjbexposures Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    Several images not loading, site very slow
    Edit: I guess this could be related to the maintenance, but it was happening this morning, as opposed to tonight. Just curious if something else is making this happen.

Is there maintenance going on? I am having some recent galleries not loading some pictures, and the photos that are loading are extremely slow to load. I have tried accessing these galleries from two different ISP's with > 15Mbps bandwidth down. (Tried from PC at work, and from diff PC at home)

I attached some screenshots with examples.
  • Options
    nishnish Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Still a problem in the UK :(
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Andy, don't know if this helps, or not, but pics are also slow to load during 'proof delay' cropping.
  • Options
    bbrantbbrant Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    If it's any help, I've been having the same problems here in PA. Not only with my gallaries but others (such as most popular today & all time) as well. I'm new here but have noticed this a couple of times now within the past month. Does this happen often?

Brian
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/06/17/6172010-site-slowness/ we're all clear, and very sorry for the issue that affected you today.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Still slow uploading for me at 5:45pm EST
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Not my connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/850918901.png

850918901.png

Seems to be Smugmug:

850920745.png
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    SM Dead....
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Still dead:

850931751.png
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    I dont think its all clear yet:

850944324.png
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    No improvement:

850977567.png
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Hi Zanotti, I'm sorry. The issue has been fixed, so would you please write our Support Heroes and we'll run some diagnostics with you. Make your note ATTN: Cavig please. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    No improvement:

850977567.png
    I am experiencing equally crappy upload speed to SM. Just for reference my connection is 35/35 Mbps.
    850998054.png
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Not my connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/850918901.png

850918901.png

Seems to be Smugmug:

850920745.png

That just means somewhere in between Maryland and California things are getting slowed down, not necessarily at Smugmug. A traceroute can give you accurate info as it goes from computer network to computer network across the country and pinpoint delays.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me