Options

Bf-109 at Paine Field

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited June 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
the Flying Heritage Collection put on another of their "free fly" days today, featuring the Messerschmidt Bf109E-3 and the Russian Polikarpov I-16. i'd never seen a fully restored Bf109 until this one, and never one in the air (i believe this is one of only two flyable 109E's in the world), so this was a real treat in spite of the crappy light and dull overcast sky. this airplane will fly again in September, so i'll probably see it again then, most likely with better weather, but i wanted to get some shots now, just in case i couldn't make it to the September show. all but the last of these were processed with ReDynaMix to help counteract the lack of detail and the dull light. 40D, 100-400 at various focal lengths and settings...

IMG_3442rdx_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_3498croprdx_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_3428croprdx_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_3497rdx_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_3460sm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    Nice pictures!

You did a great job, especially with the low passes! thumb.gif

Shame the sky was a bit dull, but makes a bit of a change to see some 109s rather than the Spits, Hurris and P51s which seem to dominate most of the airshows these days (gotta be careful what I say here else they'll put me in The Tower eek7.gif )

Thanks again for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: If you're interested in Me 109 history, check out the biography of Erich Hartmann (WWII German Ace - 352 claimed, 1,404 combat missions, never shot down by enemy action)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Hey Rocky,

You got some very nice shots of a 109. I'd love to see a German-manufactured 109. I have seen one made in Spain.

Wil.....you're right about Hartmann having never been shot down. As you probably know, though, he did suffer a number of forced landings and bail-outs. Three of my favorite prints in my collection of aviation art are ones signed by Hartmann. That guy was a class act.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    Hey Rocky,

You got some very nice shots of a 109. I'd love to see a German-manufactured 109. I have seen one made in Spain.

Wil.....you're right about Hartmann having never been shot down. As you probably know, though, he did suffer a number of forced landings and bail-outs. Three of my favorite prints in my collection of aviation art are ones signed by Hartmann. That guy was a class act.

Tom

Tom, this one was built in Leipzig in 1939, and was shot down over the Channel in 1940. it was buried by storms, and lay hidden in the sand until 1988, when a Frenchman saw an odd piece of metal sticking out of the sand near Calais. 20 years and who knows how many $$ later, it's back in the air again...

the Spaniards did indeed make 109s, but they were powered by Hispano-Suiza engines, and the cowlings were a bit clunky looking. a number of 109s also served with the Swiss air force, and even the Israelis flew Czech-built 109Gs in the 1948 war with the Arabs.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Fine photography of this aircraft. Well done. thumb.gif Sky oh well but with the
    PP the result is nice. Prop blur is on the money in each. You also handled
    that lens wonderfully.
    I've never seen one fly but I have seen a lot of em. Only two airworthy
    is interesting. I've been in the area of the Augsburg factory many times.
    Michael
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Howdy Rocky,

These are stunning, really love the panning and blur of the Prop.

That had to be a wonderful experience.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Very nicely done, especially under less than ideal conditions.

Side story: The old Champlain Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ had a Bf-109 on display (Spanish built, I think). Long ago I happened to talk to someone from the museum about the plane and he said they disliked flying it because it had a propensity "to either catch fire or break" and had been forced to land on it's last three or four flights.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    vintagemxr wrote: »
    Very nicely done, especially under less than ideal conditions.

Side story: The old Champlain Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ had a Bf-109 on display (Spanish built, I think). Long ago I happened to talk to someone from the museum about the plane and he said they disliked flying it because it had a propensity "to either catch fire or break" and had been forced to land on it's last three or four flights.

Doug

haven't heard that the German-built planes had those tendencies, but i know they had some rather unpleasant handling characteristics, particularly on landing as a result of the narrow main gear track.
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night