Options

Pictures not in order

MossbackMossback Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited July 13, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I have loaded a whole bunch of pictures in to a gallery and they are not in sequencial order. I have the box for ascending checked but they are not displayed this way. Every so often you have one or two out of place. What gives?

http://gusinskyphoto.com/Golf/787-ME-Golf-Tournament-26-June/12710062_8aDSt#914755619_En8Cr

Comments

• Options
    Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Hi Gary -

I'm sorry you are having trouble with this - and thanks for the link/URL > makes this very simple to diagnose/fix -

I checked that gallery and the settings page - the AUTO SORT is set to NONE -

Screen shot - http://img.skitch.com/20100628-rk1mafp3cigi482pk6crstpagw.jpg

No worries - I've changed this to sort by FILENAME for you - should be all good now - if you have further issues, please shoot us an email on the help desk (help @ smugmug .com)

On a side note - I like the 'bold' numbers for the filenames - and at 972 images, the three digit name works, but moving to a four digit system will be a huge benefit if you ever top 1000 - something to think about -

:D

Here when you need us -

Sean
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Mossback wrote: »
    I have loaded a whole bunch of pictures in to a gallery and they are not in sequencial order. I have the box for ascending checked but they are not displayed this way. Every so often you have one or two out of place. What gives?

http://gusinskyphoto.com/Golf/787-ME-Golf-Tournament-26-June/12710062_8aDSt#914755619_En8Cr
    If you are sorting by filename, then 101 and 1000 will not sort the way you want (1000 will come before 101) because it's a pure alpha sort for filename, not a numeric sort. Numeric filenames would need to be all the same length in order to sort properly such as 0101 and 1000. Those would sort properly.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    If you are sorting by filename, then 101 and 1000 will not sort the way you want (1000 will come before 101) because it's a pure alpha sort for filename, not a numeric sort. Numeric filenames would need to be all the same length in order to sort properly such as 0101 and 1000. Those would sort properly.

Is there a way to set the camera so it always displays picture numbers with 4 digits?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Is there a way to set the camera so it always displays picture numbers with 4 digits?
    You have photo info turn off so there is no way to see the file numbers or camera used.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    What camera? All my Nikon dSLRs always do four digits.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    Canon XTI
    Sorry, but I don't personally know about Canon XTI camera settings. I'm sure what options are available is documented in your camera manual. For sRGB images, the EXIF standard provides for a three char prefix, a delimiter and then four digits of numbers. My out-of-camera filenames follow that standard like this: JF2_0356.NEF.
    --John
    HomepagePopular