Options

canon 7d /Canon EF 85/1.2L II USM ?!!

sharagim1sharagim1 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Accessories
i am so interested to buy lens EF 85/1.2L II USM but i have some problem
my camera is canon 7d and i think this lens isn"t good for this body ,is it right?
or i have to get canon 5d mark ll and then buy this lens ? or also i can buy this lens now and use it with 7d and for later , maybe new full frame camera will be realse or if it wont i can buy 5d mark ll.
this is just my idea and could be doesn"t correct
i will be happy who knows and have info about this just share it here. thanks
'
canon EOS 7D /canon 5d mark ll/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM/EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM/ canon lens 85mm 1.8

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    The 85mm f/1.2L should work fine on a 7D. All EF lenses should work on any Canon EOS camera.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    You can use the 85mm 1.2 on a 7D. It's a great lens.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    thanks guys for your respons
    but some of the photographer they are saying

You're not going to get the full benefit of a f/1.2 lens on a crop sensor body, this lens is almost pointless on anything but a full frame camera.
    The Reason you always see this lens on a full frame camera is because full frame sensors give you a better effective depth of field than a cropped sensor body.That's the thoery behind this statement, that's also why most users of this lens are professional portrait photographers using full frame bodies.

but i know this lens physically will be fit and works .am i able to got all the benefit of this lens on 7d the same as 5d mark ll ?

again thanks for take time and red my suggestion.
    canon EOS 7D /canon 5d mark ll/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM/EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM/ canon lens 85mm 1.8
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    I believe what they mean is that in order to achieve the same framing on a 7D (or any crop-sensor camera) as you would on a full-frame body, you will have to be farther away. This increases DOF. At the same time, the DOF you will get at f/1.2 on a 7D will still be less than you could get with any slower lens on the same camera. f/1.2 on a 7D may not be quite the same as on full-frame, but it's still less than f/1.4. To say that it's "almost pointless" is really sort of silly.

• Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    thanks craig for your explain
    you think is worth it spend almost $1900 for this lens ?
    have you ever had it before or now and how wast it the image quality and sharpness ?

after see the comment today and tomarrow i will be order on adorama or b,h photo.
    again thanks
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    I only know that particular lens by reputation. I have, however, shot a number of fast lenses in the f/1.4 to f/2 range on both crop-frame Rebels and the full-frame 5D Mark II, and while there is a difference in DOF, I don't think it's all that critical.

Whether or not the 85mm f/1.2L is worth $1900 to you is for you to decide. If it were me, honestly, I'd probably save my money and settle for the 85mm f/1.8 or the 100mm f/2. The only L lenses I own are zooms because the difference in quality between inexpensive zooms and pro zooms is pretty major, but the difference between inexpensive primes and pro primes is often much more subtle. But if you're sure you want the 85mm f/1.2L, I'd say go ahead and get it; I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,884 moderator
    edited June 21, 2010
    I suggest that renting the lens would give you an excellent opportunity to determine whether a purchase of the lens is justified.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    craig_d wrote: »
    I only know that particular lens by reputation. I have, however, shot a number of fast lenses in the f/1.4 to f/2 range on both crop-frame Rebels and the full-frame 5D Mark II, and while there is a difference in DOF, I don't think it's all that critical.

Whether or not the 85mm f/1.2L is worth $1900 to you is for you to decide. If it were me, honestly, I'd probably save my money and settle for the 85mm f/1.8 or the 100mm f/2. The only L lenses I own are zooms because the difference in quality between inexpensive zooms and pro zooms is pretty major, but the difference between inexpensive primes and pro primes is often much more subtle. But if you're sure you want the 85mm f/1.2L, I'd say go ahead and get it; I doubt you'll be disappointed.

you think i shouldn"t spend $1900 for this lens, and after get it i"ll be disappointed
    ok i"m still thinking on your advice but please give me option insted of 85mm 1.2, which porterit lens i have to get it ?
    i want to use it for portriet and wedding,
    again realy apprected for all your help
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I suggest that renting the lens would give you an excellent opportunity to determine whether a purchase of the lens is justified.
    ziggy thanks alot for your suggest yeh i have to rent it and see .
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Renting this lens before you make the purchase is a very smart idea considering it is such a large investment.

I own the 7d and have the 85mm f1.8. I love the lens! It is tack sharp & wonderful creamy bokeh. The lens also has a magical quality to it.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Stella7d wrote: »
    Renting this lens before you make the purchase is a very smart idea considering it is such a large investment.

I own the 7d and have the 85mm f1.8. I love the lens! It is tack sharp & wonderful creamy bokeh. The lens also has a magical quality to it.
    thanks sella for your input
    how much did you pay for your 85mm 1.8 ?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    sharagim1 wrote: »
    thanks sella for your input
    how much did you pay for your 85mm 1.8 ?

I paid about $380 for the Canon lens. I've only purchased from B&H photo, but you can find this lens through online vendors like Adorama, and Amazon.

There are also after market f1.4 lenses available. Bower & Vivitar sell for about $350. Ziess f1.4 sells their glass for a hefty $1283.

Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Rent it first and see how you like it. The AF is a tad slow, but other than that we haven't heard many complaints. It can be tricky shooting wide open but that's not a fault of the lens.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    in my opinion the big benefit of this lens (EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM) is 1.2 aperture which is ideal for portraits and weddings,
    but guys honestly its very hard for get decision and which one of the lens is the best between these :
    1)EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    2)EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    3)EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    4)or some other lens that"s i don"t know?!
    i will be happy if you have any idea about this
    thanks guys
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    in my opinion the big benefit of this lens (EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM) is 1.2 aperture which is ideal for portraits and weddings,
    but guys honestly its very hard for get decision and which one of the lens is the best between these :
    1)EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    2)EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    3)EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    4)or some other lens that"s i don"t know?!
    i will be happy if you have any idea about this
    thanks guys

What type of shooting do you do?? Perhaps that will help determine which lens you should buy. Are you a wedding or portrait photographer??

I know many wedding photogs use the 24-70 f2.8L as well as the 70-200 f2.8L. I own both lenses and love them.

These are all very pricey, and very wonderful lenses! But what one persons prefers to shoot with, may not fit another persons shooting style.

I would strongly recommend renting any or all of these lenses since you're uncertain about which to purchase.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Stella7d wrote: »
    What type of shooting do you do?? Perhaps that will help determine which lens you should buy. Are you a wedding or portrait photographer??

I know many wedding photogs use the 24-70 f2.8L as well as the 70-200 f2.8L. I own both lenses and love them.

These are all very pricey, and very wonderful lenses! But what one persons prefers to shoot with, may not fit another persons shooting style.

I would strongly recommend renting any or all of these lenses since you're uncertain about which to purchase.

thanks stella for input
    my answer to your question is portrait and wedding photography.(not long time )
    and i realy need one of the perfect
    portrait lens. but it"s very hard for make decision .
    my budget for this lens is about $2000 , $2400

today i review the EF 135mm f/2L USM and this lens doesn"t have IS and aslo Maximum Aperture 1:2.0 and EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM have IS and maximum aperture 1:1.2
    that"s perfect for low light spatially for the church
    but some of the photographer who have experience saying after buy it i will be disappointed
    even after get this lens by rental can i got it all the detail of this lens on short time? (i don"t think so)
    i"m still thinking on it and need advice who read my request and question.
    thanks for all your help guys
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    the 135 f2 is one of the finest lenses in the Canon range. If you need the focal length, you won't do much better.

For your needs, it actually sounds like the 70-200is would suit what you're looking for (either the Mk1 or Mk2 version).

Btw, there is no such thing as a "perfect" portrait lens - "perfect" all depends on context................ :D
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Btw, there is no such thing as a "perfect" portrait lens

Agreed! I just gotta ask, the OP says they have not been in wedding and portrait photography for a long time. Just what exactly does that mean, and how much photography experience does the OP have in general? If the answer is "not very much" then dropping that much money on the 85/1.2L is probably not a wise initial purchase.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    the 135 f2 is one of the finest lenses in the Canon range. If you need the focal length, you won't do much better.

For your needs, it actually sounds like the 70-200is would suit what you're looking for (either the Mk1 or Mk2 version).

Btw, there is no such thing as a "perfect" portrait lens - "perfect" all depends on context................ :D

Hi divamum
    thanks for input
    i have to say if you see my photography equipment, i do have
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and bought it when came to the market.
    now i"m looking the best portrait lens of canon brand.
    we just have 2 lens that"s Maximum Apertur is 1:1.2
    1)EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    2)EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM
    i don"t like 50mm f/1.2 and seems narrow depth of field and soft background blur so,
    anyway still i"m on it
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2010
    Hi divamum
    thanks for input
    i have to say if you see my photography equipment, i do have
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and bought it when came to the market.
    now i"m looking the best portrait lens of canon brand.
    we just have 2 lens that"s Maximum Apertur is 1:1.2
    1)EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    2)EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM
    i don"t like 50mm f/1.2 and seems narrow depth of field and soft background blur so,
    anyway still i"m on it

I'm a little confused now Sharagim.......you do not like the 50mm f1.2?? You don't like the bokeh from that lens??. ne_nau.gif If that's the case, then you may not like 85mm either.

I really think you should rent before purchasing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Agree with Stella - if you don't like the bokeh on the 50 1.2, you're unlikely to like the 85 1.2. Afaik the 85mk2 doesn't have IS (does it? Have I missed an announcement somewhere?)

Also... shooting with the 85 1.2 wide open will be extremely challenging, especially handheld, and probably not the most practical in a fast-moving situation like a wedding unless you're some distance away. The depth of field is going to be a sliver at the kind of distance you'd use it for a head and shoulders (or even 3/4) portrait. If you really want that focal length, try the 85 1.8 first. For shallow depth of field head and shoulders and 3/4 portraits you'll probably shoot it around 2.2-5.0 and it is killer sharp in that range. It's also about $300 (used). If you decide you like the focal length for portraits, then you can pony up for the 1.2. The 85 1.8 holds its resale value really well, so if you don't like it you won't lose much money if you sell it.

There's also a Sigmalux 85 1.4 about to be released. That may be another alternative, and will probably be at a price point between Canon's 1.8 and 1.2 models.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2010
    thanks stella 7d and devamum
    i just worte some wrong and i wanted to say EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    i saw some of the sample picture of my friend and i dodn"t like it. but i never see any sample of 50mm 1.2 of some of the people.
    anyway i"d like to have one of the strong Aperture like 1.2 and between 50mm and 85mm 1.2.
    now please tell me about compare between these lenses and which one if i buy it will be great
    i will appreciated for all your help and take time for me. thanks manuel

• Options
    edited June 25, 2010
    Sharagim......it looks like the lenes you own are the 10-22mm and the 70-200mm....is that correct? If so, perhaps you should consider adding the 24-70mm to your line-up so you have that range covered.

What type of events do you shoot?

Even the 50 1.4 is a great lens and if you don't like the shallow DOF from that lens, I fear you could make a costly mistake.

I'm sorry, but in this case I can't stress enough the importance of renting before you buy!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2010
    unfortunately 24-70 isn"t sharp that"s why pro photographer all the time saying this lens should be upgrade for IS and more sharpness
    and also 24-70 on 2.8 has some problem about something but i"m not sure for sharpness or something els.
    now i"m just looking for one the best prime lens for portrait and i"m just ready for buy 85mm 1.2 but i have some stress for focus at that lens. thanks stells for take time and all your help
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    unfortunately 24-70 isn"t sharp that"s why pro photographer all the time saying this lens should be upgrade for IS and more sharpness
    and also 24-70 on 2.8 has some problem about something but i"m not sure for sharpness or something els.
    now i"m just looking for one the best prime lens for portrait and i"m just ready for buy 85mm 1.2 but i have some stress for focus at that lens. thanks stells for take time and all your help

I'm not sure where you are hearing that the 24-70mm isn't sharp. Many pros use it and love it. It's quite sharp in fact.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you are hearing that the 24-70mm isn't sharp. Many pros use it and love it. It's quite sharp in fact.

Its one of their best lenses. Very sharp, great contrast and color. Very fast and accurate auto-focus. Whoever said this lens wasn't sharp is someone I'd stop getting advice from. :D
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    guys i just heard that the 24-70 is not sharp this wasn"t my idea(i didn"t have it).
    i"m working on the best and sharp portrait lens for my canon 7d and for future full frame ,

1) i"m not professional, but i do n"t want which lens and regret future why i didn"t get better lens. regards manuel
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I have heard the same thing. A google search shows many folks feel that way especially at the wide end at 2.8.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    yes again i saw today on the different site and different photographers
    says isn"t sharp lens especially on 2.8 .
    now i do have zoom lens 70-200 2.8 ll
    if i get one of the best prime lens for portrait will be great.
    regards manuel
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    I have heard the same thing. A google search shows many folks feel that way especially at the wide end at 2.8.

It's tack sharp on my 5d mkII at f/2.8, not sure where you heard that nonsense?

As for the OP. You really sound like a lens collector rather than a photographer. 85mm is quite a narrow field of view on a 7d, a 50mm 1.4 actually makes a pretty good portrait lens on that camera. You could use the money you saved to go on some photography courses and find out about depth of field etc. The 85mm 1.8 is actually a very sharp lens as well.