Options

Downloading from camera - problem!

katemburtonkatemburton Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 9, 2010 in Cameras
I have been downloading from my Nikon to Lightroom but all of a sudden yesterday I get the message that LR 'doesn't recognise the filetype'. I am shooting RAW but there hasn't been a problem until now.
There has been a previous thread on this but the suggestions didn't seem to work...

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    I moved this over to Cameras as it's not really a forum support issue.

Have you made any changes to the software recently? What kind of machine/operating system are you running LR in?

If you've installed anything new or maybe done some upgrades, those could affect installed software. If you're using a new camera body, it's possible you'll need to update your LR install.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I moved this over to Cameras as it's not really a forum support issue.

Have you made any changes to the software recently? What kind of machine/operating system are you running LR in?

If you've installed anything new or maybe done some upgrades, those could affect installed software. If you're using a new camera body, it's possible you'll need to update your LR install.

Thanks for replying - and sorry about the wrong forum space!
    I'm running LR on a Mac, Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I can't remember having made any changes to it or the camera, although it is a trial version of LR which I'll buy soon.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    Temporarily, use another method of getting the files onto the computer and then convert a couple of files to DNG to see if the DNG files are understood by Lightroom.

If the DNG files work OK then there is a problem with the RAW converter in Lightroom towards your native RAW files. If the DNG files don't work then the entire RAW conversion is messed up and would require re-installing Lightroom.

If you are using a USB cable from your camera to the computer to offload the files, there may be a problem with the drivers. HP printers that have built in card readers are known to cause these issues through the HP drivers.

Adobe DNG converter for MAC:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

If you are using a USB cable from your camera to the computer to offload the files, there may be a problem with the drivers.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Or the cable, for that matter - I've had downloads glitch because of a dodgy cable. If you have a different one, swap them out and see if it helps.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Also with regard to the cable, going through a hub can cause problems, try connecting directly to the computer.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    Also with regard to the cable, going through a hub can cause problems, try connecting directly to the computer.

Thanks everyone. I just simply plugged the cable into another USB port and the transfer worked fine. Gremlins!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I just simply plugged the cable into another USB port and the transfer worked fine. Gremlins!

It would be best to not do the downloads thru the camera but thru a card reader........they are cheap and cut the wear and tear on your camera and camera battery, plus you can still use your camera as long as you have at least 2 cards................. :D:Dmwink.gifmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    It would be best to not do the downloads thru the camera but thru a card reader........they are cheap and cut the wear and tear on your camera and camera battery, plus you can still use your camera as long as you have at least 2 cards................. :D:Dmwink.gifmwink.gif

Glad to hear you got it worked out. thumb.gif

But, piggy-backing on Art's comment and the OP's comment about a dodgy port .... I know this is sometimes like fighting City Hall - lots of noise but no real progress, but here goes again ....

The UBS port is (usually) powered. Behind that is the computer's power supply. You have a dodgy port - who knows where the power leads are on that. What if they are in the wrong place when you connect your camera to the computer?

This is one (of many) reasons I also strongly advocate using a card reader. You can still fry the card, but if that happens all your out is the price of the card (and the photos on the card), not the cost of replacing the camera. And, yes, it's possible to hose up the camera when you re-insert the card .... especially with CF cards and all those pins ... but if you don't physically force anything there will be no worries.

Anyway, just my $.02
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Good idea. I was about to buy one when this problem happened - I will go ahead and get one anyway. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    USB devices acting goofy can be a logical issue with the USB driver and not the device plugged into it. In this case, it sounds like it is a logical and not a physical problem. Re-plugging it in the same port does nothing because of the state the USB itself gets stuck in. Switching ports reinitializes hardware to a new port, and usually un-kinks the original goofy port if you want to plug it back into that one. (at least in my experience it always un-kinks the port with the problem) I've had it happen quite a few times for a crappy printer at my grandparents' and twice with my USB keyboard. If it still doesn't work then there is a bigger problem, either with drivers, or at a physical level... I'd avoid it if it still doesn't work after a driver refresh
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    USB devices acting goofy can be a logical issue with the USB driver and not the device plugged into it. In this case, it sounds like it is a logical and not a physical problem. Re-plugging it in the same port does nothing because of the state the USB itself gets stuck in. Switching ports reinitializes hardware to a new port, and usually un-kinks the original goofy port if you want to plug it back into that one. (at least in my experience it always un-kinks the port with the problem) I've had it happen quite a few times for a crappy printer at my grandparents' and twice with my USB keyboard. If it still doesn't work then there is a bigger problem, either with drivers, or at a physical level... I'd avoid it if it still doesn't work after a driver refresh
    This is the kind of high-tech explanation that makes sense to me! Thanks :)