Options

No Cake?

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited July 15, 2010 in Weddings
So, at the last wedding I shot a week ago they didn't have a cake... They had cupcakes. And, I asked them if they were going to do a cutting of the "cake" even though there wasn't one. And they said no. Their reasoning behind this came from the groom, "If we did that I would be too tempted to shove it all over her face. And then I will be in major trouble tonight!". THATS THE POINT OF IT!! You're supposed to embarrass your spouse lol!

Anyone think this is strange? I'm kinda new to weddings but I've always seen there be a cutting of the cake. Its like the kiss, its a staple shot. you have to have it.
Jer

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    So, at the last wedding I shot a week ago they didn't have a cake... They had cupcakes. And, I asked them if they were going to do a cutting of the "cake" even though there wasn't one. And they said no. Their reasoning behind this came from the groom, "If we did that I would be too tempted to shove it all over her face. And then I will be in major trouble tonight!". THATS THE POINT OF IT!! You're supposed to embarrass your spouse lol!

Anyone think this is strange? I'm kinda new to weddings but I've always seen there be a cutting of the cake. Its like the kiss, its a staple shot. you have to have it.

I've had weddings with no cake. Most recently a NYE wedding. They introduced several of their own fun traditions, and that's what it's all about these days, making a wedding your own and not conforming just to say you conformed. I am there to capture their day, not my idea of what should happen! ;)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Hey Jeremy, we've been confronted with cupcakes a few times of late. I don't know if it's a budgeting thing or what, but I'm not a fan.

We usually get some fun shots at cake cutting time and always enjoy getting some artistic cake shots. "Help yourselves to cupcakes" just isn't the same!

Here's a recent cupcake example - at least they had a proper stand:

923864535_VRk2s-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    david_h wrote: »
    Hey Jeremy, we've been confronted with cupcakes a few times of late. I don't know if it's a budgeting thing or what, but I'm not a fan.

We usually get some fun shots at cake cutting time and always enjoy getting some artistic cake shots. "Help yourselves to cupcakes" just isn't the same!

Here's a recent cupcake example - at least they had a proper stand:]

Thats what theirs looked like. I agree, its not fun, and it sucks for my portfolio. It was my second wedding, so I need a lot of portfolio help! lol
    Jer
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    urbanaries wrote: »
    I've had weddings with no cake. Most recently a NYE wedding. They introduced several of their own fun traditions, and that's what it's all about these days, making a wedding your own and not conforming just to say you conformed. I am there to capture their day, not my idea of what should happen! ;)

Lynne, I agree that its good to be different and that as the photographer we should just shoot what they want not what we want. But no cake? Thats just weird! There are some traditions in weddings that I feel should never be lost or forgotten. Smashing a cake in someone else's face is one of those :D
    Jer
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Smashing a cake in someone else's face is one of those :D

And don't forget the bride pretending to stab the groom in the back with the big knife! I'm all lost without that one!
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I've done lots and lots of weddings without cakes. Who says you need a cake to have a wedding? Personally I find it more interesting when a couple does away with "tradition" and does something cool on their own!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I've done lots and lots of weddings without cakes. Who says you need a cake to have a wedding? Personally I find it more interesting when a couple does away with "tradition" and does something cool on their own!

My thoughts exactly. Actually in Alaska right now with church weddings... foot washing is the popular thing to do.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I love cupcake wedding cakes! Easier to snag. :hide
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010

Just did one a couple weeks ago with cupcakes. All good by me! Now if they could only get rid of the YMCA and the Chicken Dance I would be in heaven! Jeremy, don't worry about your portfolio not having a cake shot... it won't kill you. Mostly you want shots that are romantic and candids that show emotion. Most people don't choose a photographer because they have a great cake cutting shot.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    unless the wedding cake explodes...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010

This is exactly my feeling. I've had couples do cupcakes, cheesecakes, pies, etc. They are all fun to me. And, given how common it seems to be to NOT have a cake, those shots are also nice to include since some of my potential clients are likely thinking of avoiding the cake, too.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Holy organically processed hay from a male cow!!!

I just went online and priced out wedding cakes!!!!!!!!!!

Some of these cakes cost more than a photographer. Another thing of note was how many cake websites didn't even have a price list! You have to make an appointment for a consultation, and for all I know financial verification.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Holy organically processed hay from a male cow!!!

I just went online and priced out wedding cakes!!!!!!!!!!

Some of these cakes cost more than a photographer. Another thing of note was how many cake websites didn't even have a price list! You have to make an appointment for a consultation, and for all I know financial verification.

Sam

Yeah I was spooked looking at it too! My friend makes wedding cakes for her business and she says wow to photographer prices as I say wow to wedding cake prices!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    The first wedding I shot had homemade blueberry pies, from organic blueberries that they had hand-picked locally. I thought that was pretty cool. And MUUUUUCH cheaper than a cake!

784408731_D7MN9-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Welcome to the world of wedding photography Jeremy. Although you want stuff for your port, the client is most important....so, no cake, cupcakes, raspberry tea, or purple smoothies....shoot creatively and it won't matter.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Lynne, I agree that its good to be different and that as the photographer we should just shoot what they want not what we want. But no cake? Thats just weird! There are some traditions in weddings that I feel should never be lost or forgotten. Smashing a cake in someone else's face is one of those :D

Well, if you want to keep traditions, what about Droit de Seigneur?

…c'mon, let's count the hands, who's for that one?

:D

- Wil

PS: Home-made Blueberry Pies! Brilliant idea! Yummmmmmm! clap.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Its not that I think it has to be a cake, its that they didn't do the feeding of the "cake". I could care less about what food their shoving as long as its getting plastered everywhere! Thats what I meant by the cake tradition... the feeding.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Well, if you want to keep traditions, what about Droit de Seigneur?

…c'mon, let's count the hands, who's for that one?

:D

- Wil

That has nothing to do with weddings wil... Are you looking to be the first guy to take the virginity from all the young virgins in your village? Where does this stuff come from? You really are an odd dude...

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with weddings… Where does this stuff come from? You really are an odd dude...

Matt

Ah, but it does, you see…

…try doing some research!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Its not that I think it has to be a cake, its that they didn't do the feeding of the "cake". I could care less about what food their shoving as long as its getting plastered everywhere! Thats what I meant by the cake tradition... the feeding.
    But not everyone "gets" the meaning any more. And not everyone who even has a cake does a cutting. And those that do the cutting certainly don't smash the cake. I think about 50% of those that have had a cake smashed it. Most are very civilized about it. And, of those 50%, I don't often chose any of those photos as ones to put in my portfolio. The bride or groom often have their mouth gapping open or are in some other less than flattering position. Not having those photos in my portfolio hasn't kept me from staying busy and booking as much as I want to.

I dare say that Swartzy said it best:
    Swartzy wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of wedding photography Jeremy. Although you want stuff for your port, the client is most important....so, no cake, cupcakes, raspberry tea, or purple smoothies....shoot creatively and it won't matter.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Ah, but it does, you see…

…try doing some research!

thumb.gif

- Wil

**retracted**
    Matt

I guess the relevance comes from the movie Braveheart. Wasn't ever an actual tradition or law. It is a gross and offensive reference.
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Ya wedding cakes are crazy expensive...but iv also heard cupcakes can get nuts... we have a couple gourmet cup cake businesses in the area and they want $4-$5 per cup cake... and these are just over the counter cupcakes not special "wedding cup cakes" lol....

Speaking of originality, im attending a wedding 11/11/11 and instead of a champagne toast they are doing yauger bombs (<-- spelling) lol

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    JayClark79 wrote: »
    Ya wedding cakes are crazy expensive...but iv also heard cupcakes can get nuts... we have a couple gourmet cup cake businesses in the area and they want $4-$5 per cup cake... and these are just over the counter cupcakes not special "wedding cup cakes" lol....

Speaking of originality, im attending a wedding 11/11/11 and instead of a champagne toast they are doing yauger bombs (<-- spelling) lol
    Typically abbreviated Jaeger... THAT my friend is going to be a fun wedding!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Did someone say Jaegermeister? Oooooooh Baby....I'm so there rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Should I assume we have all seen "My New Haircut" on YouTube? (NSFW coarse language)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Typically abbreviated Jaeger... THAT my friend is going to be a fun wedding!!!

Matt

I know it really is, so far im invited to the wedding as a guest.... but the main local photographer im trying to 2nd shoot with has been hired for this wedding... If he asks me to work with him i definently will... either way im thrilled just to be there.....

PS.. if i dont assist the photographer I WONT be "uncle tomming"

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2010
    Should I assume we have all seen "My New Haircut" on YouTube? (NSFW coarse language)

Laughing.gif, that was hilarious! thanks for sharing that.
    Jer
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Why is cake smashing even a thing people do? It's too new to be tradition, and too old to be cool anymore. Feeding your new spouse is rooted in cultural ritual, and it's sensuous. Plastering your love's face with food is NOT sexy.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    Why is cake smashing even a thing people do? It's too new to be tradition, and too old to be cool anymore. Feeding your new spouse is rooted in cultural ritual, and it's sensuous. Plastering your love's face with food is NOT sexy.
    Agreed... I think it is more of a lower end wedding thing. My classier and more elegant weddings never do that.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 12, 2010

Agree. When the MoB told me they aren't going to do any face smashing of the cake I was ecstatic.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com