Options

Flash Diffuser?

travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited July 7, 2010 in Accessories
I recently purchased a 580EX II and am wondering which diffuser other photographers used? My wife & I are expecting our 2nd addition in about a month & I'm really looking for a diffuser that I can use on direct flash. Thanks in advance!
Travis M. Chance
twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
sitefacebook

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited June 16, 2010
    Since you have the Canon 7D body you can use the built-in wireless transmitter to control and trigger the 580EX II off camera.

I suggest double diffusion, using a simple diffuser for the flash (either a commercial model or even just some drafting vellum or similar over the flash head) and then a shoot through umbrella at close distance.

Alternately you could use a "Softlighter" or a softbox. These give slightly better "wrapping" of the light and somewhat softer shadows. The Softlighter would be my personal choice.

I would also employ the built-in diffusion (wide-angle) panel of the 580EX II for maximum spread to fill whatever you use for the large diffuser.

Try using the light from the 580 as key and then use your on-camera flash for fill. I suggest that you may not need much fill. Try different lighting configurations, depending partly upon the camera position with relation to the child. A reflector can be used for an additional light source.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    P.S. Practice with a lifelike doll beforehand.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Definitely (as suggested) get the flash off of the camera. I've got a stofen omni bounce (super cheap @ $20) and it's okay at helping to diffuse the light but an orbis (ringlight mod @ $200) is great for ring lighting to soften the light and so is the Lumiquest Softbox III (only $40 well spent!). I've got all three and love the softbox for regular soft lighting. :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    …some great suggestions, but in an emergency I've used a (clean) white handkerchief, or even removed my jacket and bounced the flash off my white shirt.

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Since you have the Canon 7D body you can use the built-in wireless transmitter to control and trigger the 580EX II off camera.

I suggest double diffusion, using a simple diffuser for the flash (either a commercial model or even just some drafting vellum or similar over the flash head) and then a shoot through umbrella at close distance.

Alternately you could use a "Softlighter" or a softbox. These give slightly better "wrapping" of the light and somewhat softer shadows. The Softlighter would be my personal choice.

I would also employ the built-in diffusion (wide-angle) panel of the 580EX II for maximum spread to fill whatever you use for the large diffuser.

Try using the light from the 580 as key and then use your on-camera flash for fill. I suggest that you may not need much fill. Try different lighting configurations, depending partly upon the camera position with relation to the child. A reflector can be used for an additional light source.

Thanks Ziggy. Is it same to assume that on-flash diffusers are a waste (i.e. Honl Traveller 8 style)
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy. Is it same to assume that on-flash diffusers are a waste (i.e. Honl Traveller 8 style)
    Like wil said, on camera flashes can be coaxed into giving off a desirably soft light (handkerchief, 3x5 index card, etc) but it's easier to get that kind of light by taking the camera off of the flash.

Mind you with multiple flashes the on camera flash can function as a decent fill flash. *food for thought*

• Options
    edited June 16, 2010

While they are not a "waste" in that they do their job, the primary problem is how they position the light. On-camera flash, especially if the head is directed forward, lacks much separation from the axis of the lens. This results in a rather "flat" appearance and not much different from a typical snapshot. Even large diffusers used in this configuration have this problem.

A combination of large diffuser and off-camera position allows more interesting light and shadows. The Honl Traveller 8 does provide a larger "source" in addition to the diffusion, so it is a better kind of light.

For a similar size and level of diffusion the DIY "scoop" does a very nice job for around $3USD and 15 minutes work:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3
    ziggy53
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I made myself a Peter Gregs Better Bounce Card (very similar to the scoop that ziggy53 linked to) and it works fairly well for candids and on-the-move indoor shooting. I find that it lets a little too much of the flash go upwards and under-exposes a bit, but it really does even out the light and eliminates hot spots from the flash. When used in an indoor environment with white cielings, it's even better; some of the flash bounces off the card, some bounces off the cieling, and the light becomes much softer and more even.

I also have a cheap plastic slip-on diffuser, but it barely soften the flash very much. I find it most useful when shooting outdoors, where hot spots are not as much of a problem anyway, but even there, I have to be careful or I'll light up a forehead if I'm shooting up close.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Ziggy, very well said. I never thought of that angle of being on axis before that does make a lot of sense once you pointed it out.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I made myself a Peter Gregs Better Bounce Card (very similar to the scoop that ziggy53 linked to) and it works fairly well for candids and on-the-move indoor shooting. I find that it lets a little too much of the flash go upwards and under-exposes a bit, but it really does even out the light and eliminates hot spots from the flash. When used in an indoor environment with white cielings, it's even better; some of the flash bounces off the card, some bounces off the cieling, and the light becomes much softer and more even.

The "scoop" type modifier is quite a bit larger than the "bounce card" design and it works quite a bit differently. The scoop traps around half of the light and reflects it forward. In this regard it is much less dependent on reflecting surfaces. In fact it works rather well even outdoors. The extra height also sends the major portion of the light much higher than a bounce card, producing more pleasing highlights and shadows.

I have both a traditional bounce card and a Demb Flip-It, and both are valuable for normal height white ceilings and some walls. If the ceiling is high or dark or not a neutral color the scoop is my choice instead. The scoop is also a good choice for angled shots when the geometry is poor for bounce. The scoop is also valuable for close-up shots.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Get a 1 quart plastic milk carton and cut the bottom 4 inches off the carton. Slide this over your flash for a very nice modifier.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I love the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro
    I consider the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro the best diffuser/reflector I have used. It can provide quite decent imagery when used on a hotshoe and excellent imagery when used off-camera on a bracket.

www.dembflashproducts.com

I have previously used a myriad of diffuser/reflectors ranging from the good old business card taped to the rear of the flash, to the homemade reflectors from cardboard or foam board, the Gary Fong Whale's tail (a Chinese knock-off of that product), the Stofen Omnibounce as well as a mini softbox by Lumiquest.

I like the Flash Diffuser Pro best because of its versatility. The angle of the reflector is adjustable and can be tilted depending on how far your subject is from the camera as well as what type of reflecting surface you are using. This unit can even be used when there is no surface off which to bounce the flash such as in churches with extremely high ceilings or even outside at night.

The reflector can be used on the long side of the flash or the narrow side. I tend to use the narrow side because it facilitates shooting with on camera flash in the vertical position. (see illustration).

The DFD Pro provides a diffusion panel at the front of the flash which I really find improves the lighting.

One DFD can be used for any hotshoe flash which is good if you have more than one flash or if you are intending to upgrade flashes.

Best of all, the DFD Pro (at a bit over $30) doesn't break the bank and it can fold fown for storage or transport.

Joe Demb also markets a smaller Photojournalist Flip-It diffuser (Which was once called the Flip-It Junior). This tiny unit is great for smaller flash units such as the Canon 270EX and can extend the versatility of that very limited flash.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Get a 1 quart plastic milk carton and cut the bottom 4 inches off the carton. Slide this over your flash for a very nice modifier.

Very funny but please save the jokes for another thread (related to the youtube posting)! headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Disregard. I apologize as I didn't realize that the youtube video was in your signature line. After first reading, I thought you were posting a video on how to create the milk carton diffuser only to find it was a dog at the dinner table.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Travis....many of us tried different things especially after the Gary Fong light shpere came out and way before the chinese
    knock off came out.....on this forum are the frosted qt milk bottle, pob bottle, tupperware bowls....I used kleenex and white handkerchiefs for many years....until
    i bought a LumiQuest Softbox and now that is my diffuser of choice....I have been trying the diffusers that came with my Nikon SB900
    but still prefer the LumiQuest Softbox.......I am not sure if FlyNavy was jerking you around but...........I prefer the Lumiquest because it does a very good job and
    it fold completely flat and take up no real room in my camera bag...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I made a small softbox which, even though I now have some more sophisticated purchased lighting equipment, I still use all the time. It's a great small diffuser, will cost you about $5 if you push the boat out and buy real ripstop nylon from the fabric store, and takes about half an hour to make.

THREAD HERE

Be sure to read to the end (in post 23 I made some modifications).

I use it with off camera flash - which will always give more pleasing light - but I"ve used it when the flash is in the shoe occasionally too. It's pretty lightweight.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Very funny but please save the jokes for another thread (related to the youtube posting)! headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Disregard. I apologize as I didn't realize that the youtube video was in your signature line. After first reading, I thought you were posting a video on how to create the milk carton diffuser only to find it was a dog at the dinner table.

Yeah, the Milk carton/3x5/Handkerchief/Whatever is laying around ideas: WORK!

The Joe Demb piece is what I use on cam and off cam too come to think of it, when I don't have my assistant and this homemade piece with me: See below~
    799219494_ajTAr-L.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Thank You for all the responses. I spent $20 bucks and made one the other day using foam board, duct tape & aluminum foil. It seems to work fine and at if and when my portrait interests take me beyond the DIY version, I'll purchase one. I do have one question that is somewhat non-related ::: I setup the 580EX II as the slave on my 7D. However, the pop up flash seems to fire. I changed the built-in flash setting to disable. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks again!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    Thank You for all the responses. I spent $20 bucks and made one the other day using foam board, duct tape & aluminum foil. It seems to work fine and at if and when my portrait interests take me beyond the DIY version, I'll purchase one. I do have one question that is somewhat non-related ::: I setup the 580EX II as the slave on my 7D. However, the pop up flash seems to fire. I changed the built-in flash setting to disable. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks again!
    Manual mode, don't hit the flash button. :D

• Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Ziggy:

What are your thoughts on the Photek Softlighter 60" with 7mm shaft? I'm out of my element. Offered for $89 on Amazon via Adorama.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I like the Lumiquest Big Bounce. It folds flat and I always have it in my bag. It noticeably softens and defuses the light. Not as good of an option as off camera flash but, it helps a lot when you do use on camera flash. There is also no reason to not use modifiers with flashes that are off camera too. You just need to get one that seems to make sense for what you are doing with it and then see what it does for you.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Ziggy:

What are your thoughts on the Photek Softlighter 60" with 7mm shaft? I'm out of my element. Offered for $89 on Amazon via Adorama.

I have, and I recommend, the 60" Softlighter with the "8mm" split shaft. The outer portion of the shaft removes after the Softlighter is opened allowing closer, safer use.

The size is measured across the back, like umbrellas are measured, and the front opening is similar to a 45" softbox, except circular (of course).

The Softlighter has a sock-like tube that the speedlite is inserted unto, so that has to be considered if you want to use a light-based wireless control of the flash. I recommend one of the inexpensive RF transmitter/slave sets instead, along with manual control of the flash.

It's a little hard to entirely fill one of these so I do recommend using the flip-down wide panel on a speedlite and also some simple diffusion like a piece of drafting vellum over the flash head too. Some folks use a Sto-Fen or similar. (I just use the drafting vellum.)

The Softlighter is used like an umbrella so you also need an "umbrella bracket" to mount both the Softlighter and a speedlite onto a light stand.

I believe the following links are what I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/Photek_SL_6000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html#features

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117.html
    ziggy53