Options

Some Soccer with new 20D

JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited August 4, 2005 in Sports
I just upgraded my Canon DigiReb to a Canon 20D, mainly for sports shooting. Here are several shots from a 3v3 tournament this past weekend. My technique needs to improve but I got some pretty nice keepers. Thanks for looking......John

30687461-L.jpg

30687463-L.jpg

30687693-L.jpg

30687467-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    You did quite well. Looks like you have the same trouble I do getting the right exposure on the kids and blowing the ball somewhat. I choose to do this if the alternate is underexposing the kids too much.

I did a 3 v 3 tournament a couple of months ago too, and really enjoyed the opportunity to shoot the limited number of players in the tighter space.

Thanks for sharing.
    ann
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Hey John - welcome aboard!

I did a bit of soccer shooting at one point, and I can quickly see some of the same things I struggled with. Those yellow jerseys are fun, eh?! Definitely overexposed and I'd have to guess you used the shadow/highlight tool to bring up the shadows and down those shirts?

I hate to say it, but that tool gets overused and its so obvious to see. Try some spot metering on the jerseys and let the other shadows happen naturally, I think you'll like the result better than your enhanced version.

Soccer's tough though, as is any sport. 20D upgrade helps, but don't forget the faster glass to match!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey John - welcome aboard!

I did a bit of soccer shooting at one point, and I can quickly see some of the same things I struggled with. Those yellow jerseys are fun, eh?! Definitely overexposed and I'd have to guess you used the shadow/highlight tool to bring up the shadows and down those shirts?

I hate to say it, but that tool gets overused and its so obvious to see. Try some spot metering on the jerseys and let the other shadows happen naturally, I think you'll like the result better than your enhanced version.

Soccer's tough though, as is any sport. 20D upgrade helps, but don't forget the faster glass to match!
    Hiya John,

15524779-Ti.gif with the good Doctor rolleyes1.gif Tough light and bright jerseys are tough to expose well ne_nau.gif As Doc points out, using Partial metering (or Spot metering if your camera is so equiped) on the bright jerseys may help. Or, you can review the shot(s) in the LCD, check the histogram and enable the "blinking over-exposure" feature to see if you need to decrease the exposure. If you are shooting in Av mode, adding some negative EV compensation will help (for this type of lighting, you'd probably want to start off with -1 EV of comp and see if you need to increase or decrease comp based on the review).

You did get some nice facial expressions thumb.gifthumb.gif

Good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero