Options

Erin - fine art (NSFW)

Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Go Figure
One for now, more from this set later once we finish culling.

AB800 in a 50" softbox and giant silver reflector camera right mixed with the window light.

4788720752_df0862d2ed_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    This is a great almost balanced lit shot with good tone. Not so sure about what the qualifications for "fine art" are but I'd say they do not usually involve a connection with the camera. I think you could crop this tighter or even square and eliminate that left over wall angle on the left, and still keep most of her hand. Its a good image, but if "fine art" means someone would hang it in a gallery or their home, I'm not sure it says enough or maybe too much to qualify.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    Blurmore wrote: »
    Its a good image, but if "fine art" means someone would hang it in a gallery or their home, I'm not sure it says enough or maybe too much to qualify.

Excellent feedback...not one many would note. :)

Fine art is up for interpretation, I still see plenty that identifies the subject. But in its "true" sense (if such a thing exists today), the viewer can't identify with the model but instead identifies with the lines, emotion displayed, etc.

We have some from the session that were shot this way as well.
  • Options
    codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    There is a lot that bothers me about this image... From the senior-ish pose to the lack of any emotion to the styling. I agree with blurmore that this really isn't a fine art image, more of a picture of a nude woman leaning towards a window.

The biggest problem for me is the pose because it is just not flattering at all. She looks very barrel chested and gives her a very wide shoulder with a very narrow waist, which I find to be awkward. The other big issue is the distractingly deep shadow between her thighs...
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2010
    codiac2600 wrote: »
    From the senior-ish pose

Literally stopped reading right there, because it's flat out false. Check the mags if you don't believe me.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I don't normally comment on the physical attributes of subjects, but that is one strange looking belly button. Is it a shadow, or some weird artifact. It looks like a vertical cleft in her belly. I like the shot overall, but think it's a bit overexposed.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Literally stopped reading right there, because it's flat out false. Check the mags if you don't believe me.

With this kind of reaction to C&C you're not gonna get much more...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    With this kind of reaction to C&C you're not gonna get much more...ne_nau.gif

I like c&c when it has something to it, and the person commenting can actually support their feedback. This one was nothing of the sort.
    Icebear wrote: »
    I don't normally comment on the physical attributes of subjects, but that is one strange looking belly button. Is it a shadow, or some weird artifact. It looks like a vertical cleft in her belly. I like the shot overall, but think it's a bit overexposed.

Her bellybutton appears larger than most because of the angle as well as the fact she is a mom. I have some dodge/burn work to do there to minimize it before printing.

As far as exposure, my style is to shoot hot. In addition, we wanted this art to be very strong in the whites, which is why I chose this white brick wall to shoot the nudes on. As always, this will actually print a touch darker, putting it exactly where I want.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    I like c&c when it has something to it, and the person commenting can actually support their feedback. This one was nothing of the sort.

This is why it's called C&C... I judge photo contests all over the US and my input is my opinion whether loved or not and it may seem harsh at times, but I'm right about things most of the time which is why I'm called upon to judge imagery. Because a magazine says something doesn't make it good or justifies anything as anyone can find something to support their view. Some of the greatest photographers take images that aren't good at all from time to time, but because they are greats people look the other way, sadly I do not. If you're not willing to take honest critique, but only comments that make you feel better about what you do, then please don't post your images up on a forum for people to respond to. I've had my fair share of people fight what I thought was a great image and show me what was wrong and I learned instead of arguing it. I'm sorry that I'm the first person to be truly honest and express my professional opinion in each and every photo I critique, but if I didn't I'd be lying, which I don't believe in.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    I judge photo contests all over the US...

...I'm sorry that I'm the first person to be truly honest and express my professional opinion in each and every photo I critique, but if I didn't I'd be lying, which I don't believe in.

Please provide credentials for these image contests, plus, our studio is always looking for contests to enter in order to get input and improve our craft.

You are not the first to critique images, your comments about the pose are simply off-base. Especially when a published nude photographer had input on the photo, both positive and constructive changes - yet the pose was "great for her body".

I'd enjoy seeing a sample from one of your creations, showing how you executed a similar work and paid attention to the items you have pointed out.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    Please provide credentials for these image contests, plus, our studio is always looking for contests to enter in order to get input and improve our craft.

You are not the first to critique images, your comments about the pose are simply off-base. Especially when a published nude photographer had input on the photo, both positive and constructive changes - yet the pose was "great for her body".

I'd enjoy seeing a sample from one of your creations, showing how you executed a similar work and paid attention to the items you have pointed out.

ne_nau.gif

Please remove this line from your signature please:
    When I post photos, they're always up for honest critiques.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2010
    ne_nau.gif

Please remove this line from your signature please:

Missing the point, critiques I can handle when there is some validity and substance with them. I agreed with Blurmore regarding his comments...and Icebear provided great feedback.

I asked you some questions in my last post, you clearly don't want to answer them. I will gravitate toward believing what a published nude photographer has to say about this image over the "senior-ish pose" garb.

Thanks again to everyone else for their input.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Let's get back to critiquing the photo thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Critique
    The image is over exposed (light wise) - all the detail is missing from the brick
    The hand is cutoff on the window sill - the edge on that side is a distraction
    The expression is not natural but forced looking
    The shadow between her legs is harsh and unflattering
    The pose is more about her nudity than a story about her
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    I like it. It's hot, both in lighting and mood. Kind of an environmental high key shot. The model has an incredible figure which I think was well captured. Crisp focus. Really, what's not to like? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    I like it. It's hot, both in lighting and mood. Kind of an environmental high key shot. The model has an incredible figure which I think was well captured. Crisp focus. Really, what's not to like? headscratch.gif

I wasn't doing C&C on the model. Just the photographic quality and technique. If you want to do quality photography or you just want to view the subject as an object. There are many factors to a good photo with technique and light quality first.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 26, 2010
    ChatKat wrote: »
    I wasn't doing C&C on the model.
    Neither was I. I said she was well captured. Why are you critiquing my critique anyway? My opinion is just as valid as yours.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    My two-cents: it's an okay photo. Your lighting and all that looks fine to me but there's nothing (not a strong enough pose, expression, setting, etc) that makes this one leap from the screen. And oh boy, are you going to hate this, but the pose is just a little like something a typical senior would do (with clothes on, of course).

What about getting out a spray bottle and making the model's skin wet and having her grabbing for a towel or another bathroom object? I see lots of potential here!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    One thing I will say about this thread. I have never seen a photo bring so many personal attacks in the entire time I have visited this web site. I thought personal attacke were not allowed according to the rules of the site.
    http://www.djames-photography.com
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    From a woman's perspective, the pose looks uncomfortable and forced. It strikes me as more Playboy than fine art. Of course, that comes down to personal style and preference. A lot of girls would love to look like that, especially if they are moms out to prove they've still got it.

I'm also not a fan of the angle because we just see the edge of the windowsill jutting out. And her fingers are cut off.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    A couple things I like about the image are the nice S curve (armpit, side, but, leg) on the right side of the image. Like the high key, and the black and white.

Other things covered above by others.

Shooting nudes is much harder than I initially thought, and I am still so much a rookie at it (only done 3 sessions, about 6 hours). But I imagine you would get similar feedback on MM as you are getting here. If you disagree with a critique that's fine, I do occasionally, but when many say the same thing it should become harder to ignore. I try to be my own harshest critic, but its never easy.

Hope to see more of your work here.

An idea for you with a similar image and B&W, a nice soft shadow would really add to the image and give it depth.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me