Options

Mt. Rainier and Ruby Beach

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Landscapes
Two really quick trips to some of the most photogenic locations in Washington State (Thursday night through Friday night).

#1: Crescent Moon at Sunset

968583807_qryAE-L.jpg

#2: The Milky Way from Paradise (saw lots of meteors, some of them extremely bright, but they seemed to go away when the shutter was open!)

969921017_2LFEG-L.jpg

#3: Pre-dawn on Upper Tipsoo Lake. Normally this lake is calm at dawn and sunrise, but it was moving around quite a bit which made for some different shots than usual.

969957423_jwpB9-L.jpg

#4: Purple alpenglow at sunrise on Upper Tipsoo Lake.

969956239_3ENvR-L.jpg

#5: Ruby Beach at sunset. There was a 3 hour wait for the ferry, so I had to race to get there in time (arrived literally 2 minutes before the sun went below the horizon - fortunately the best light is usually 15-30 minutes after sunset at the beach).

970041052_377Fs-L.jpg

#6: Just like the previous night at Rainier, the crescent moon was setting just after sunset.

970041687_ECxih-L.jpg

#7: This is what "0% cloud cover" looks like at the beach. Fortunately the forecast wasn't accurate, there was also a fire in ONP that may have helped the colors quite a bit.

970042971_Nj82U-L.jpg

#8: Setting crescent moon (well after sunset, this was ISO 2000 f/4 for 2 seconds to minimize moon movement)

970043262_Yyjsx-L.jpg

#9: About 30 minutes after moonset the stars started popping out, and about 30 minutes after that, the Milky Way was easily visible. There were as many stars as Rainier despite the low elevation, in fact the Milky Way was even more visible (no light pollution nearby). It's pretty cool seeing stars reflect in the wet sand. Like the night before there were some crazy bright shooting stars from Perseids.

970038085_rWHiy-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Wow man your work is always impressive!
    Really like the 1st and the milkyway
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    The first one is super impressive. Love it.

BTW Ron, do you mind leaving something for me to shoot. Dang man, you have shot every possible angle and everything in that state. I don't think I want to even try shooting those park ever. eek7.gif:D

Cheers,
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    #9 is super cool. First shot like that that I've ever seen from the coast.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Fantastic stuff as always bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Stars reflecting in the wet sand.....

Is there any more to say after that? #9 is my favorite, but the whole series is excellent as always thumb.gif
  • Options
    Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    Awesome shots of the Milky Way in 2 and 9. All are impressive. Great work!
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2010
    grat stuff as usual, but dang, Ron, when do you sleep? i hope you drive a hybrid, too, or you're spending a fortune on gas! love the milky way shots... i tried some from Tipsoo last night, but they're nowhere near as good as yours... can't seem to get the cloudy, "nebula" look you do... maybe it's shooting at f/3.5-4 (i don't have a fast wide angle that's fit to put on a FF body), or maybe just that my poor ol' 5D isn't as good at ISO 3200 as the newer model... anyway, you've given me something to aspire to, so i'll keep tryin'!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Great shots! Never spent ant time at Rainier but looks like I should.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2010
    Wow man your work is always impressive!
    Really like the 1st and the milkyway

Thanks Awais! That first shot was completely lucky and unplanned, but I'll take credit for it :D
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Incredible

You missed the good light by one week!
    shniks wrote: »
    The first one is super impressive. Love it.

BTW Ron, do you mind leaving something for me to shoot. Dang man, you have shot every possible angle and everything in that state. I don't think I want to even try shooting those park ever. eek7.gif:D

Cheers,

Heh, I feel the exact opposite! There are so many places in the state that I haven't photographed (North Cascades, Mt. Adams/St. Helens), rivers and forests and waterfalls, the eastern part of the state in general... There's no shortage of photo ops, just a shortage of hours in the day and vacation time from work.
    scole wrote: »
    #9 is super cool. First shot like that that I've ever seen from the coast.

It's pretty cool walking on star reflections :D
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff as always bowdown.gif

Thanks!
    karlabbott wrote: »
    Stars reflecting in the wet sand.....

Is there any more to say after that? #9 is my favorite, but the whole series is excellent as always thumb.gif

The conditions were perfect, clear skies, warm temperatures (this made it comfortable) and low tide. I'll try and repeat this shot in the future when cameras are better able to handle it.
    Awesome shots of the Milky Way in 2 and 9. All are impressive. Great work!

Thanks!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    grat stuff as usual, but dang, Ron, when do you sleep? i hope you drive a hybrid, too, or you're spending a fortune on gas! love the milky way shots... i tried some from Tipsoo last night, but they're nowhere near as good as yours... can't seem to get the cloudy, "nebula" look you do... maybe it's shooting at f/3.5-4 (i don't have a fast wide angle that's fit to put on a FF body), or maybe just that my poor ol' 5D isn't as good at ISO 3200 as the newer model... anyway, you've given me something to aspire to, so i'll keep tryin'!

I don't sleep - at least not on the weekends :D I'm not going to say how many miles I put on my car, but I will say that in the last year, I've spent a full month driving (30 days * 24 hours/day). If I didn't have a "real" job I could take my time a little more. And yes, noise performance makes a huge difference for those Milky Way shots, my 20D couldn't handle it, I'm waiting to see what the next generation of bodies produces as even the 5D MII isn't great. I generally try and keep it to 25 seconds or so, sometimes that requires ISO 4000 or 5000 at f/2.8, and they're often under-exposed and when you bring them close to proper exposure in post the noise gets even worse.
    Ladukebob wrote: »
    Great shots! Never spent ant time at Rainier but looks like I should.

Definitely, now's the time too, in the next few weeks the wildflowers at Paradise will be showing (a few weeks later than last year).
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    yeah, the wildflowers are definitely out in full bloom up at Rainier! i was at Edith Creek yesterday, and the flowers are everywhere!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    #9: About 30 minutes after moonset the stars started popping out, and about 30 minutes after that, the Milky Way was easily visible. There were as many stars as Rainier despite the low elevation, in fact the Milky Way was even more visible (no light pollution nearby). It's pretty cool seeing stars reflect in the wet sand. Like the night before there were some crazy bright shooting stars from Perseids.

970038085_rWHiy-L.jpg

Ron, I've really run out of adjectives to describe your work and sets like this one are the reason why. Each and every one is absolute bueaty! clap.gif

This one (#9) however, exceeds them all. I sat and stared at it so long I got a couple disapproving looks from my boss! umph.gif
    (thanks for getting me in trouble, man!)
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    7, 8, 9 omg! See what you're doing to fellow Dgrinners by getting them in trouble at work? lol3.gif

I don't know why more people don't shoot more stars over oceans. That shot is just unbelievable.

I feel boring.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Great set overall. I love #7 and adore #9.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Ron, I've really run out of adjectives to describe your work and sets like this one are the reason why. Each and every one is absolute bueaty! clap.gif

This one (#9) however, exceeds them all. I sat and stared at it so long I got a couple disapproving looks from my boss! umph.gif
    (thanks for getting me in trouble, man!)

Just tell your boss that you're less likely to screw things up if you're looking at dgrin instead of working. They'll understand.

FWIW, here's some meta-photography (taken by dseidman) of me photographing #9, the red lights are my timer and camera, you can see the stars at my feet reflecting in the sand:

971645569_Wp5xb-L.jpg
    schmoo wrote: »
    7, 8, 9 omg! See what you're doing to fellow Dgrinners by getting them in trouble at work? lol3.gif

I don't know why more people don't shoot more stars over oceans. That shot is just unbelievable.

I feel boring.

It's only Chris, no big deal :)

I haven't seen any star shots at the ocean before, I've thought about a few times but the conditions didn't cooperate until this trip.
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set overall. I love #7 and adore #9.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Ron, You captured some really nice images at the mountain and Ruby Beach. After hearing of the fires in the Olympics I was wondering if the smoke was making it to the coast, # 7 answered that question. very nice.

I have enjoyed your work for some time here on dgrin, and bumping into you and Danny on the Mountain was an unexpected pleasure. As much as you get out I won't be surprised to run into you again some time.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    It's only Chris, no big deal :)

Hell, even I can't argue with that logic! headscratch.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    These all turned out nice. I'm going to have to get LR3 to deal with the noise in those Milky Way shots.
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Absolutely incredible #9. But is it just me and my crappy monitor, or is there an alien face reflected in the lower left hand corner in the lighter spot? :)

Wow is about all I can really say beyond that!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Ron, You captured some really nice images at the mountain and Ruby Beach. After hearing of the fires in the Olympics I was wondering if the smoke was making it to the coast, # 7 answered that question. very nice.

I have enjoyed your work for some time here on dgrin, and bumping into you and Danny on the Mountain was an unexpected pleasure. As much as you get out I won't be surprised to run into you again some time.

Thanks, likewise, and I'm sure we'll run into each other again. The last few photo trips I've been on I've run into people I knew online or in person, it's a small world of landscape photographers here in the NW :)
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    Hell, even I can't argue with that logic! headscratch.gif

lol3.gif
    dseidman wrote: »
    These all turned out nice. I'm going to have to get LR3 to deal with the noise in those Milky Way shots.

I think any of the nice noise removal plugins (Noise Ninja, Nik Dfine) would work, LR3 has the advantage of additional features (a better RAW editor than ACR for example, better workflow than Bridge).
    Ridgetop wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible #9. But is it just me and my crappy monitor, or is there an alien face reflected in the lower left hand corner in the lighter spot? :)

Wow is about all I can really say beyond that!

Thanks! I can't comment on the sand aliens, they asked me to keep quiet :D
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    Fantastic series of shots. #9 is truly outstanding. There is way too much light pollution out here for me to try something like that. I seriously need to move west.
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Awesome stuff, man! I love the milky way shots!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    These turned out great. The capture in 1 is superb... looks much better on the monitor than on the camera. Love the Milky Way shots, and the color and texture in 7 is awesome. Of course my fave is your meteoric sea stacks shot, and Danny's shot of you is just mind bogglingly incredible. :jawdrop
    Glad you guys made it out there. Would have been nice if you went north a little bit the following day and we could have shot Shi Shi together...
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    dseidman wrote: »

Check out Dfine 2.0 by Nik software.deal.gif