Options

Country Style Elegance- Wedding

2»

Comments

• Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Absolutely gorgeous job on this wedding. I hope someday to be able to take pictures like these on a consistent basis and in all circumstances. I admire your ability and creativity.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Very nice shots. Great work thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    WOW!!! These are awesome! I hate to single one out, because so many of them are just incredible, but I am just blown away by that dress shot, I love everything about it. Your group shots are great. Groups are so hard to arrange and you arranged some very large groups with nice composition.

How did you set up your off camera lighting? I need to start trying that at events and weddings.
  • Options
    ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Jeff,
    Wonderful shots!!! LFor someone who's not sure he really wants to shoot weddings, you really have an eye for it! Great job!mwink.gif
    Shannon :D
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
    www.heatonphotography.net
    http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
    www.myspace.com/heatonphotography
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    WOW!!! These are awesome! I hate to single one out, because so many of them are just incredible, but I am just blown away by that dress shot, I love everything about it. Your group shots are great. Groups are so hard to arrange and you arranged some very large groups with nice composition.

How did you set up your off camera lighting? I need to start trying that at events and weddings.

David if you read some of the other replies you will see where I explained that. I shot in manual, but set the flash on ETTL.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2008
    Jeff,
    Wonderful shots!!! LFor someone who's not sure he really wants to shoot weddings, you really have an eye for it! Great job!mwink.gif

Well as you know there is more to wedding photography than just photographs. Thanks for looking!!!
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Absolutely gorgeous job on this wedding. I hope someday to be able to take pictures like these on a consistent basis and in all circumstances. I admire your ability and creativity.

Laughing.gif....I've seen your work...you are already there!!!

Thanks for the kind comments!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Jeff,

Just a wonderful job you did here. Your posing of the groups and lighting and processing are just terrific! I'm so impressed. Way to go!!! clap.gif You should be very proud of yourself and I bet they are/will be thrilled.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Jeff, I don't think I say anything that has not already been said about the quality of the images you have posted. What I can say, though, is that seeing these images is inspirational!

I've been watching your work here on Dgrin for a little while and I've been inpressed by everything that I have seen.

Please, keep them coming.

Thanks
    Jeff McPhail
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Jeff,

Just a wonderful job you did here. Your posing of the groups and lighting and processing are just terrific! I'm so impressed. Way to go!!! clap.gif You should be very proud of yourself and I bet they are/will be thrilled.

Thank you so much Elaine. As you know, I have been experimenting with light, gels, and white balance for quite a little while now. I put everything together for this set and everything paid off. There were various types of lighting in the room. I began at the rehearsal by shooting a WB target under each source type...finally finding which one was the dominant source in the room. To this I matched my flash the best I could. Finally in Lightroom, I warmed the final images an nth of a nudge and synched them all. It was magic. I edited the whole set (500 or so?) in one 7 hour sitting. I was thrilled...with the results...and with the speed with which I was able to edit. In the past I have spent from 20 to 50 hours editing a wedding. This one was a breeze after the fact!!
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    goofry wrote:
    Jeff, I don't think I say anything that has not already been said about the quality of the images you have posted. What I can say, though, is that seeing these images is inspirational!

I've been watching your work here on Dgrin for a little while and I've been inpressed by everything that I have seen.

Please, keep them coming.

Thanks
    Jeff McPhail

Thanks Jeff, for having a look and leaving the kind comment. I appreciate the compliment.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 13, 2008
    Nicely done set of images, Jeff.

I am glad you found one of the secrets to great off camera flash, the ST-E2. A very useful device.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nicely done set of images, Jeff.

I am glad you found one of the secrets to great off camera flash, the ST-E2. A very useful device.

Thanks PF

I have found it to be a VERY useful tool, and also to perform much better than it's critics would lead you to believe. Setting a reasonable shutter speed, ISO, and aperture in these examples, and letting ETTL Auto work out the flash power on it's own was insanely simple. Piece of cake!
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    you know i'm gonna ask, don't ya!!...... so, Jeff, what lens did you use for most of this shoot?? :D

Great series!! They must be very happy!! love the tone!

cheers!
    B
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    you know i'm gonna ask, don't ya!!...... so, Jeff, what lens did you use for most of this shoot?? :D

Great series!! They must be very happy!! love the tone!

cheers!
    B

Laughing.gif...I used the Canon17-55mm F2.8IS for the whole shebang.

Thanks for the kind comment.:D
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Laughing.gif...I used the Canon17-55mm F2.8IS for the whole shebang.

Thanks for the kind comment.:D

Ah... sweet!! That's a nice peice of Glass!!...mwink.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Briggie wrote:
    Ah... sweet!! That's a nice peice of Glass!!...mwink.gif

It is a greeeaaaattt piece of glass and I highly reccomend it. Uhg.....it won't fit that Nikon though!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    It is a greeeaaaattt piece of glass and I highly reccomend it. Uhg.....it won't fit that Nikon though!!!rolleyes1.gif

OMG. You are back!!! Where have you been?? Haha ... and boo you to making nasty comments against Nikon!! :patch .. haha
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    OMG. You are back!!! Where have you been?? Haha ... and boo you to making nasty comments against Nikon!! :patch .. haha

Laughing.gif.....I didn't make a nasty comment....only that my favorite lens won't fit!!!rolleyes1.gif

I have been busy doing nothing!

Actually was out opf pocket for a week...then I have been working a load of overtime since returning to make up for it.

Here...is where I was...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=98318

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=98661
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    A few more now that I have made it through my first round of edits.

A-
    293044009_mc6Lp-M.jpg

Awesome shot and nice pose. I love the moss on the chimney in the background. Gives it that Louisiana touch.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Awesome shot and nice pose. I love the moss on the chimney in the background. Gives it that Louisiana touch.

Thanks BHam.

I like doing portraits against old brick, and spotted that nook on my first inspection of the site.

Do send a message if you get into BTR. There is also another DGrinner nearby in denham springs that might be interested.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I know I'm about to bump this back into circulation, but I don't care, this needs to never fall off the front page

OH HOLY COW!!!! Those are amazing!!!

I got married there and my pictures look NOTHING like that!! WOW!!!

And it's not 'out in the country', it could be much much worse, promise. My husband was sold on that place the second he walked in the door, the floor creaked and he immediately said "How much is the deposit, we're signing a contract now and paying in cash" and that's exactly what he did. Love that place.

That dress shot, WOW, that's one I'll have to remember. Wish I had my dress hanging up in that window :/
  • Options
    AllenCWAllenCW Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Hey Jeff,

Wow! Must have been an extremely difficult place to photograph. And yet you made it look so easy. I'm so impressed that you were able to take a difficult situation and make it look so elegant!!!! Only a great photographer, like yourself, could do such a thing.

You do awesome work!!!!!!

Allen