Options

First Maternity Shoot

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited August 30, 2010 in People
So I did my first maternity shoot this past Sunday. It was a little challenging at first. She had no idea what she wanted and I wasn't sure what to provide for her. So we started out a little rough due to light being really harsh even when its diffused. After about 20 min everything started flowing well. She was starting to enjoy it and so was I. The nerves went away and I just tried to get some good shots. With that said just be gentle! This was after all my first maternity shoot and she was totally thrilled with these!

_DSC0210ed.jpg
_DSC0177ed2.jpg
_DSC0155ed.jpg
_DSC0135ed.jpg
_DSC0117ed.jpg
_DSC0089ed-1.jpg
_DSC0064ed.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Well, you'll read nothing but good things from me. I adore all of these photos but my favorites are the second and last. Fantastic location! It is refreshing to see her in clothes... i.e. stepping away from the classic belly exposed in B&W shot. I am impressed.
    Boudoir | Wedding | Portrait | Automotive

Website | Facebook | Email
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Well, you'll read nothing but good things from me. I adore all of these photos but my favorites are the second and last. Fantastic location! It is refreshing to see her in clothes... i.e. stepping away from the classic belly exposed in B&W shot. I am impressed.

I really appreciate the comments! #2 was my favorite, but my wife didnt like it. I also loved the last one, but once again my wife wasnt a huge fan. She didnt want to show her belly and it honestly made it easier to not have to worry about that. Im just really glad someone else like them! Thank you!
  • Options
    Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    I really appreciate the comments! #2 was my favorite, but my wife didnt like it. I also loved the last one, but once again my wife wasnt a huge fan. She didnt want to show her belly and it honestly made it easier to not have to worry about that. Im just really glad someone else like them! Thank you!

Everyone has a different eye and a what one may think is incredible, another may not get it... This is what makes photography so special and so subjective. Again, very nice work! I love them!
    Boudoir | Wedding | Portrait | Automotive

Website | Facebook | Email
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    No other comments???
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    same with these. are these that horrible that nobody wants to give pointers or at least let me know if I should post them or not?
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    In this old man's eyes all of these photos are great as is - a very class act, one you can show the world the beauty of motherhood - go show the world - great capture.
    Ed

www.photoman74.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    Thank you so much! I guess the main reason I put these on here was to gauge where I am at towards starting my own business. I am still currently an intern at a studio here, but he told me to charge a lot more then I did. Do you think $100 for a DVD with 25 fully retouched images and an hour and half shoot is too little?
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Thank you so much! I guess the main reason I put these on here was to gauge where I am at towards starting my own business. I am still currently an intern at a studio here, but he told me to charge a lot more then I did. Do you think $100 for a DVD with 25 fully retouched images and an hour and half shoot is too little?

People don't like to give prices because it varies sooo much place to place. Also, I think some people treat prices like some Top Secret document. rolleyes1.gif

It is true that telling you prices for me won't really help you where you live. Take the price that you charge and divide it by the number of hours that you worked on the images, shoot and travel = your hourly pay. That doesn't even include taking your business expenses out of that!

So...yes I think $100 is too little. Here in Anchorage, AK I would have charged $500 for the package with all digital files (good for 8x10's). People pay it and I have had people say I am too expensive but I stand my ground and still get customers. mwink.gif

Good luck.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Oh..and the photos! I like them and I also agree with others that I like the fact that she has clothes on. I notice you have some tilted horizons...if that is on purpose then okay. I personally am not a fan of tilted horizons unless it is obviously intentional and then it only works in certain instances.

Good job overall.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I like #4 the B&W though could be a little warmer I think. I do like the composition of the shot.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    For me 5 and 7 are my favorites but they are all good.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    I'm digging #2. I really like the vintage looking processing of 5, 6, & 7. I would be curious to see 2 processed similar to those.
  • Options
    FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    I really like 2, 6 and 7! Love the processing on 6 & 7!!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »
    Oh..and the photos! I like them and I also agree with others that I like the fact that she has clothes on. I notice you have some tilted horizons...if that is on purpose then okay. I personally am not a fan of tilted horizons unless it is obviously intentional and then it only works in certain instances.

Good job overall.

Thanks for the comments about the photos and the pricing. I understand it is tough for people to share how much they charge. I was just curious because some people on here will tell you if they think you should charge middle of the road for your area, below or above. Thanks for the comments! Oh and also with the tilted horizons I looked through the pics and some of them I meant and some of them I didnt. Thank you for pointing those out to me! This is why I look for feedback because I want to get better and I look to everyone on here for guidence and feedback. Thanks once again!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    I like #4 the B&W though could be a little warmer I think. I do like the composition of the shot.

Thanks! I honestly think it was my favorte one of the group. She looks like shes really excited and happy to have the baby. She just found out that she is have a c-section on Wednesday, and she said she would like to do some baby shots soon after!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    For me 5 and 7 are my favorites but they are all good.
    Thanks! I am gald to hear somebody actually liked these!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    met wrote: »
    I'm digging #2. I really like the vintage looking processing of 5, 6, & 7. I would be curious to see 2 processed similar to those.

You know I didnt even try that with #2. I just thought the colors were really vivid and popped, but I will give it a try! I also did a little T/S look to it to help her pop too.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote: »
    I really like 2, 6 and 7! Love the processing on 6 & 7!!

Thank you! #2 was pretty fun and we got lucky that they had just cut the hay field about 30 min prior to us shooting!