Options

Best Place to Find Used Lenses?

SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in Accessories
Looks like after years of using high-end consumer cameras that I will need to step up to a quality dslr setup. But like most, I can't afford it, so I'll have to buy it piecemeal. I'm going to start with quality lenses that I hope to pick up used. So besides the marketplace here, where are some of the best places to find such bargins? :dunno

Any guidance appreciated. :thumb
Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    just like with new equipment....ebay, b&h and adorama....keh has always been a tad high for my tastes.
    also I have found a lot of times that people ask almost retail for used and in a lot of instances new is
    only a few dollars more.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I'd hit www.sportsshooter.com and look at their classifieds as well. Some listings will only sell to members, but many listings will sell to anyone.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 31, 2010
    KEH has the best overall selection in used cameras, lenses and accessories and used equipment is their primary business. They are also very easy to work with and their system for returns and exchanges works very smoothly. Equipment ratings are usually more than fair. When they say "LN" it generally really is "like new" and you get everything you would get in a new purchase, minus any warranty.

Adorama and B&H also have used equipment and they are both very easy to deal with. Used stuff is not their primary business so you might not find as broad a selection but right now both are doing a very good job stocking used Canon and Nikon.

EBay is always going to be more risky. The opportunity for return is generally more of a hassle (if it's even offered) and many sellers do not accurately describe their equipment that is for sale. Ask plenty of questions of the seller beforehand and, if a sale doesn't "feel right" abandon the purchase. I tend to only purchase from sellers with a history that denotes honesty and integrity.

Fred Miranda has a market similar to ours. It is larger and more diverse but they have had more scandals and fraud than our flea market.

Local sales, including Craigslist, can be considered "if" you are allowed close inspection before the sale and if you know how to test and evaluate the item(s) being sold.

Third-party insurance is often available for used equipment and if you are tight on budget it might be worthwhile to prevent a total loss. I have purchased "Mack" insurance in the past for expensive electronics, although I never had opportunity to use/test the insurance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    It's simple, KEH.

I've tried buying used with Adorama on three different occasions and been let down all three times while KEH has come through exceptionally well.

Heck, even with new it seems like a crap shoot for me with Adorama.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Thank you all for the responses. I was hoping for some magic web site that everyone knows where to get great used lenses, but it seems I already knew about all the good ones.

I recently purchased a backup camera from KEH and was very happy with my purchase. A camera that I spend $500 on I was able to get for $140 with less than 1200 shutter actuations. Mine has over 64,000 on it. :eek: I watch all the used areas pretty closely, but it seems that finding a "cheap" used lens is going to be next to impossible. :cry
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Looks like after years of using high-end consumer cameras that I will need to step up to a quality dslr setup. But like most, I can't afford it, so I'll have to buy it piecemeal. I'm going to start with quality lenses that I hope to pick up used. So besides the marketplace here, where are some of the best places to find such bargins? ne_nau.gif

Any guidance appreciated. thumb.gif

I've got a really handy guide to selecting used lenses, that I think a customer passed onto me ages ago (nothing to do with Adorama).

If you'd like me to forward a copy on to you, you can drop me an email: HelenO@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    20DNoob wrote: »

I've tried buying used with Adorama on three different occasions and been let down all three times ....

That doesn't sound good, not good at all....

If you can spare the time to drop me an email with a bit more detail, I'd be really grateful: HelenO@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    HelenOster wrote: »
    That doesn't sound good, not good at all....

If you can spare the time to drop me an email with a bit more detail, I'd be really grateful: HelenO@adorama.com

No worries Helen it happened about 2½ years ago and I had sworn off ever spending any more money there. The only reason I decided to give Adorama another chance(last month) is solely due to your efforts here and elsewhere.

What I really wish for from Adorama and others would be to implement a dynamic inventory system. Amazon does it, big box stores do it down to small mom and pop establishments. I know I'm weary of the "sorry it's out of stock" speech when I call a day or two after it's supposed to ship. As for costs just add a 1% increase to the price of everything and it'll be paid for in no time.
    Christian.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    ........ The only reason I decided to give Adorama another chance(last month) is solely due to your efforts here and elsewhere.

Thank you for the vote of confidence; I hope I deserve it.......
    What I really wish for from Adorama and others would be to implement a dynamic inventory system. Amazon does it, big box stores do it down to small mom and pop establishments. I know I'm weary of the "sorry it's out of stock" speech when I call a day or two after it's supposed to ship. As for costs just add a 1% increase to the price of everything and it'll be paid for in no time.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSimon%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I don't disagree, and I'd like to offer a couple of explanations.

Since we advertise via many portals - buy.com, Amazon, Ebay, shopping.com etc it isn't always easy to predict accurately how much merchandise to put up on each portal. If we have 100 units we can't tell each portal that we have 100....or we could potentially 'sell' 500 units, ie oversell 400.
    We also don't want to short ourselves and advertise only 20 on each portal.

The second explanation is that if a customer places a order just as / immediately after a delivery is re-stocked our website will show the units as being in stock, and an automated confirmation that the order has been received is sent out.
    If an item is heavily back-ordered (because we don't charge until an order actually ships), the back-orders need to be filled, with the units being removed from the shelves by our warehouse team and packaged for shipping.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    <o:p> </o:p>
    At the exact moment that the final back-ordered unit is removed from the
    shelf, any customers with unfulfilled orders would again receive an
    automated email this time indicating that the unit is now again on back order.
    Our website also does not update in real time, to allow for order cancellations -the bulk of which typically occur within the first 30 - 45 minutes of placing an order eg because a customer has had a change of heart - or because his wife has just walked into the room!

That would explain why it could appear from the site that there are still
    units in stock, when in fact they have already been allocated to customers who had placed their back-orders during the past weeks.
    Items will show as being in stock right up until the last one is picked off the shelf. So, for example, if we have 300 delivered, and 295 pre-orders there are actually only 5 available for sale. When the 295th unit is picked from the shelf, the next 5 orders that come in (and there is no way that this can be over-ridden) will be picked and allocated in strict order of receipt.

It's entirely possible that we could receive 50 orders within the space of a couple of minutes - from the 'phones, the store, the website and from our partners such as Amazon and buy.com.

In your position I'm sure that I would be feeling just as frustrated as you are. We just haven't yet figured out how to get around all of the issues above.

BTW, you are luckier than me; in the past 4 months I've had 3 orders from Amazon cancelled because they didn't have stock but it didn't show up on the website! :cry

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    HelenOster wrote: »
    Thank you for the vote of confidence; I hope I deserve it.......

You wholeheartedly deserve it, whatever your salary is it should be doubled at the very least. You are the online, ever present face of Adorama and I can't imagine the barrage of emails/PMs' you must get daily from people whining about this or that.

About the other thing, completely unnecessary but thank you anyhow.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSimon%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Christian.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    You wholeheartedly deserve it, whatever your salary is it should be doubled at the very least....
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CSimon%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

:saurora
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com