Options

Misc shots

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I was recently reviewing some of my lenses to make sure they were still correctly micro-adjusted.

<CANON Rant><CANON Rant><CANON Rant>[Canon Rant]Why can't I get an 85L that will focus correctly??? I tried three (3) more new ones this month with no love...[/Canon Rant]</CANON Rant></CANON Rant>
Randy

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 16, 2010
    Looking good, Randy. How do you like your 135? I'd really like a nice sharp, fast telephoto for portraits indoor sports. I'm debating whether to get the 135 or the new 70-200 F2.8 MKII. Yeah, I know, the zoom is nice. But... the 135 might be all I need and even better for indoor work with the extra stop. And I get to save a heap of money. It looks sharp as a macro lens in your last shot there.

Interesting comparison here. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&FLI=2&API=2&LensComp=108&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3&Camera=453&CameraComp=453&Sample=0&SampleComp=0

The 135 is a bit better wide open, but when you stop down a bit they're pretty equivalent. Says a lot for the new MKII.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Looking good, Randy. How do you like your 135? I'd really like a nice sharp, fast telephoto for portraits indoor sports. I'm debating whether to get the 135 or the new 70-200 F2.8 MKII. Yeah, I know, the zoom is nice. But... the 135 might be all I need and even better for indoor work with the extra stop. And I get to save a heap of money. It looks sharp as a macro lens in your last shot there.

Interesting comparison here. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&FLI=2&API=2&LensComp=108&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3&Camera=453&CameraComp=453&Sample=0&SampleComp=0

The 135 is a bit better wide open, but when you stop down a bit they're pretty equivalent. Says a lot for the new MKII.

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel,

That's a bit of a tough question to answer, not only to you, but to myself also. I have a 70-200L f/2.8 IS Ver1, and it is extremely sharp @ f/2.8, and I guess it must be better closed down. I'm not really sure about that though. This lens was my work-horse when I was shooting sports for a living, but always wide open. I always needed the speed and separation of f/2.8.

Now, I don't shoot sports professionally anymore. My 70-200 is still very nice for portrait work, but dang that things HEAVY! To tell you the truth, it's such a pain to lug around, I hardly ever use it anymore, only when a f/4 lens won't do.

As you can see, the 135L is crazy sharp even at f/2, which is where I use it at. I buy fast lenses to use all that speed and separation, otherwise, why spend the coin on such a lens ne_nau.gif

The 135L + TC 1.4 is a good setup. The new TC III's that are coming out will only be better. This should allow the TC 2X to be of good use on the 135L.

One more personal note on the 135L. I seem to shoot a lot in low light, so high ISO and lowish shutter speeds are the norm. I've got real steady hands with a camera and can shoot most of my other lenses at very slow speeds successfully. (1/8 ~ 1/15 sec) But the 135L makes me feel like I've had too much coffee, and I don't even drink the stuff eek7.gif I also don't like where the focus ring is situated, I have to completely change my holding technique to keep my hand off of it, and inadvertently moving, the focus ring.

I just picked-up a 7D and am testing that now. To be honest, on a 5D2, for me, the 135L by itself was an odd FL. Too long for indoors and too short outdoors. The 1.6 crop body will change the long end, so that may work well on the 7D. We'll see.

That said, my next lens purchase may well be a 70-200 f/4 IS. Super duper sharp and acceptably light enough to carry around and use regularly.

When funds permit, I might upgrade my 70-200 f/2.8 IS ver1 to verII, but I can hardly justify it due to my copy being so sharp, and as stated, I don't use it that much anymore, anyway.

Hope any of this helps with your questions...
    Randy
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 17, 2010
    Awesome info, Randy. Yeah, that helps a lot. Doncha just wish you could afford them all? :giggle
  • Options
    SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    The fly shot in 5 is top shelf.... Nice!!thumb.gif