Options

MS to offer 3-PC Windows 7 Family Pack for $150 starting Oct 3

WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
edited October 20, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
According to a recent ZDNet.com article:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-family-pack-discounts-return/2380

For those who use multiple Windows-based PCs and are considering an upgrade to Windows 7, this is a great bargain.

Starting Oct 3, and running a limited time (they did it last year and it only lasted 6 weeks), MS will offer a Windows 7 Family Pack (Home Premium Edition) for $150, more than half off the price of buying 3 separate Win7 upgrades. The Family Pack includes two disks - one with the 32-bit version of Win7 and one with the 64-bit version, and a single license key that can be used to activate up to 3 PCs in the same household.

You can even mix and match - run 2 PCs on the 32-bit and one on the 64-bit, or vice-versa, or run all 3 PCs on the same edition.

Even if you don't plan to upgrade to Windows 7 for some time, this is still a good opportunity to pick up a 3-license pack for a greatly reduced price; nothing says you have to actually install the things when you get them, so you could wait 6 more months and install after the first inevitable Service Pack is released, or after your next printer or software upgrade.

Personally, I had been toying with the idea of upgrading my 3 PCs in early 2011, when I could use my tax refund to pay for it (assuming nothing more pressing came along), but this deal is too good, so I'm going to grab one as soon as it hits the streets.
What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    They offered this deal when Windows 7 was first released, also. I jumped on it then and haven't looked back. I would strongly encourage folks to upgrade to 64-bit if at all possible. It's a little more hassle (you can't do a simple upgrade from 32-bit, you have to do a clean install) but the performance increase is well worth it.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    MS trying to be like Apple again lol. I'm a HUGE PC fanboy (since 1990 and my first built 386sx25) and this is one of the things that I've always liked more about Macs. Stinkin' cheap OSs. I wish they'd just keep it this way forever (and for each edition) like Office.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2010
    Upgrade in place is fraught with difficulties; I've always considered a clean install to be easier, safer, and far more reliable anyway, so I always do a clean install when upgrading an OS or an application.

How much does an OS upgrade cost on a Mac?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    When Micro$oft did this the first time (when Win7 was released), the offer was "only good while supplies last". I went into Staples on the very first day and there was only one copy of Win7 left in the store. If you're planning on upgrading to Win7, I would make sure I grab this deal right away! :D
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Upgrade in place is fraught with difficulties; I've always considered a clean install to be easier, safer, and far more reliable anyway, so I always do a clean install when upgrading an OS or an application.

How much does an OS upgrade cost on a Mac?
    My brother is a mac fan and for years it's been $150 for three OSs.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    My brother is a mac fan and for years it's been $150 for three OSs.
    there also exist free OSs , but is it worth it ?
    for Windows you can find anything you want
    for Mac / Linux , you must hope they come up with something compatible
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one of these Family packs last year, just days before it was sold out everywhere. Like others said, if you see it, buy it before it's too late. Within a week of selling out they were showing up on eBay for around 2X their retail price.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    I got mine last week from Amazon.com. I haven't installed it on any of my PCs yet; I'm waffling on whether I want to upgrade now, or hold on to the OS for a while until a service pack or two are released for Win7.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Don't wait. SP1, which isn't far off, is primarily going to be a collection of the Windows Updates that have happened since the release of 7. You won't do yourself any favors by waiting.