Options

A few days with the Bigma

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 30, 2010 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I rented out the Bigma (Sigma 50-500 f4-6.3) from the good folks at borrowlenses.com for a few days. If you want to rent some glass these are the folks you want to call.

I have given up on Nikon updating the 80-400mm and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm also trying out a few lenses to see if I want to rent/buy them for my Africa trip next year. The following is my unscientific unpixel- peeping obervations on the Bigma vs. the Nikon 80-400.

I enjoyed shooting with the Bigma. Having the range of 50-500 on a lens is sweet. I found the AF while not as fast as my primes to be noticeably better than the 80-400.

This is a fast capture that I got that the 80-400 might have muffed. I was driving through the wetlands when this red shouldered hawk flew right in front of me and landed in a tree. I didn't have time to change my settings, it was a take the shot now moment w/o any planning.

1020730799_TwoiU-XL.jpg

By the time I realized I had a zoom and could zoom back the hawk was gone but the Bigma did a good job with an instantaneous focus.

Overall the IQ was pretty good especially wide open. I like the 80-400's IQ a tad better when its stepped down to f/8 but the Bigma's was better wide open.

Here a few other captures with the Bigma
1020732859_Yg3j8-XL.jpg

1020735326_Nf4ry-XL.jpg

1020734956_afQ2M-XL.jpg

1020733602_HKSzV-XL.jpg

1020735979_FxF3q-XL.jpg

I found the Bigma to be an outstanding value. To get this range for under $1,000 is a terrific.

I did find significant vignetting on my full frame D3. It improved when I stepped down the aperture. Its heavier than the 80-400 but still very handholdable. Still if I was shooting at a location that required walking for a few hours the weight would be an issue. It also slows down to f/6.3 at around 250mm. The AF while quicker than the 80-400 was not as accurate.

I didn't find it to be Africa-worthy but I'm considering getting it for local shooting. For the price its a very good lens.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Interesting to me (as a big Bigma fan) is that you're only looking at it now. Although the pixel peepers will disagree, the range makes it ideal for Africa, especially if you have a good support system to go with it.

Where will you be going to in Africa?

ps: nice pics!
  • Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    Thanks so much for sharing the trial run. As someone who is hoping to upgrade gear in the not too distant future, this is very helpful.

Also, great pictures!
  • Options
    StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    Great pictures Harry.
    The Nikkor AFS 200-400 f1.4 is very popular for serious photographers in Africa. Expensive yes, but if you can rent it, insure it, travel with it and return it. It may be worth investigating.

Good luck and have fun trying all the lenses until you get 'the one'.
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    Harry the 200/400 is a great lens vr and all but it is heavyand it does cost over $1000 rolleyes1.gifAre you doing this so you travel with one lens ? why not take 2 and 2 cameras .This trip is a biggie and I would want a back up camera.
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BigAl wrote: »
    Interesting to me (as a big Bigma fan) is that you're only looking at it now. Although the pixel peepers will disagree, the range makes it ideal for Africa, especially if you have a good support system to go with it.

Where will you be going to in Africa?

ps: nice pics!

Hey Al,

I never considered it seriously because I had the 80-400 so it would had been redundant. Its a tough call between the two with the 80-400 having a tad better IQ (IMHO) stepped down and is lighter vs. the wide open performance and better AF of the Bigma. The real down factor for me with the Bigma is the vignetting I get with it on my D3.

I will be going to Africa next year and will be shooting in Kenya. I'm going on the Muench workshop in Kenya.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Lindiwe wrote: »
    Thanks so much for sharing the trial run. As someone who is hoping to upgrade gear in the not too distant future, this is very helpful.

Also, great pictures!

Thanks its great that its of some use to you. I will be posting a tad later on my trial run with the Nikon 200-400.
    Harry
  • Options
    Stash wrote: »
    Great pictures Harry.
    The Nikkor AFS 200-400 f1.4 is very popular for serious photographers in Africa. Expensive yes, but if you can rent it, insure it, travel with it and return it. It may be worth investigating.

Good luck and have fun trying all the lenses until you get 'the one'.

Thanks Stash. I have just finished shooting with the 200-400. In fact I'm boxing it up now to return to borrowlenses.com. :cry

I'll be posting about the lens & posting some images in the next few days.
    Harry
  • Options
    jwear wrote: »
    Harry the 200/400 is a great lens vr and all but it is heavyand it does cost over $1000 rolleyes1.gifAre you doing this so you travel with one lens ? why not take 2 and 2 cameras .This trip is a biggie and I would want a back up camera.

Hey Jeff,

Right now my plan is to take two cameras to Africa. Hopefully the D4 will be released by then and that will be one of the cameras. If the D4 isn't out in time I'll be going with the D3s. I'll be taking my D300 (D400?) as the second body.

I will be definitely taking my 14-24 and 28-70 lenses for landscapes. I hope to be able to squeeze in two more lenses for widlife shooting. The 500 f/4 would be great but the weight factor would be an issue plus there aren't too many good zooms to cover the shorter ranges. Right now I'm leaning towards the 200-400 + the 1.4 TC on the D3 and the 300mm f/4 + the 1.7 TC on the D300. That would pretty much cover me for the range of 280mm -745mm for wildlife shooting.
    Harry
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    My impression is that, while decent enough, these shots look a little muddy when compared to what I usually see from you, Harry. Was this the new Bigma with image stabilization (or whatever they call it)?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    My impression is that, while decent enough, these shots look a little muddy when compared to what I usually see from you, Harry. Was this the new Bigma with image stabilization (or whatever they call it)?
    My question too! Also wonder how it would compare with the 150-500 OS by Sigma?
    tom wise
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    Now I do not like doing this ---but I agree with Ric .I did not say it in my post not always sure about my AOL connection. I would take my Nikon lens no matter what and I think the stabilization in the big momma is valium headscratch.gif I am not sure about that thou
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options

Nope, the new version was not available. I have read that the new version has the same vignetting problem. The IQ is not as good as I get from my 300mm f/4 or even my 80-400 but remember also I only had 2 days to shoot with it. I'm sure the IQ would have improved if I had a chance to get used to the lens. I didn't expect a 10x zoom that sells for $1,000 to do as well as a prime costing 7 times as much.

I found the focus on the Bigma to be not completely accurate when shooting at 500mm.

Despite all of that it is still provides excellent value. For Nikon shooters in this class you have two choices, the 80-400 or the Bigma. Both of those lenses give you lots of flexibility with some trade offs.

The Bigma gives you better AF speed and better wide open captures. The trade off is the vignetting and soft focusing at 500mm.

With the 80-400 you have the slow AF and at times it wiill give you some very bizarre bokeh. The Bigma sells for just under $1,000 and the 80-400 sells for $1,600. I would have to say the Bigma is a better value. I think the 80-400 is a slightly better lens but not a better value.

Neither of those lenses is Africa worthy but for local shooting (if I blow a capture I'll just come back tomorrow and do better) they would be OK.
    Harry
  • Options
    angevin1 wrote: »
    My question too! Also wonder how it would compare with the 150-500 OS by Sigma?

I wanted to try out the 150-500 more than the Bigma but couldn't find any place that rents that lens. If anybody out there uses the 150-500 I would love to hear from you.
    Harry
  • Options
    Now I do not like doing this ---but I agree with Ric .I did not say it in my post not always sure about my AOL connection. I would take my Nikon lens no matter what and I think the stabilization in the big momma is valium headscratch.gif I am not sure about that thou

I'm not crazy about VR as at times you have to let it settle down a tad before taking the capture. On bright days I usually turn it off. The best VR is a good tripod or any other good support.

Try not to agree with Ric too often. It will just go to his head. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Harryb wrote: »
    Hey Al,

I never considered it seriously because I had the 80-400 so it would had been redundant. Its a tough call between the two with the 80-400 having a tad better IQ (IMHO) stepped down and is lighter vs. the wide open performance and better AF of the Bigma. The real down factor for me with the Bigma is the vignetting I get with it on my D3.

Hello Harry! Does the vignetting occur with the hood off too?
    I will be going to Africa next year and will be shooting in Kenya. I'm going on the Muench workshop in Kenya.

US$1500 per day excluding airfares to and from Nairobi :wow Man that's a lot of South African money!! Guess if I want to see you guys I'll have to drive up there :D
  • Options
    RayLarsonRayLarson Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    I wanted to try out the 150-500 more than the Bigma but couldn't find any place that rents that lens. If anybody out there uses the 150-500 I would love to hear from you.

Hi Harry,

I shoot with the 150-500 OS Sigma and find it much more competent than the Bigma. It is a sweet lens for it's price. I don't use it as much lately since I got a Nikkor 70-200 with a 1.7TC for my D300 but It is worth trying out if you can find one.

3447797098_d38c71d7b7_b.jpg
    Ray Larson
    Nikon D80, D300, D700 all gripped, Nikkor 50 f1.8 Nikkor 18-200 VR Nikkor 70-200 VR f2.8 Nikkor 28-300 VR, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 Sigma 80-400 OS Sigma 150-500 OS Nikon SB600
  • Options
    80weeks80weeks Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    If you are interested I have just managed to put up a number of photos from our recent safari in Tanzania. We ended up taking the OS 50-500 and loved it. We also had a 50-150 2.8 on the backup camera and I have to say some of my favourite photos were taken with that lens (eg. the pic I previously posted of the lion hunting was taken at 50mm).

http://80weeks.smugmug.com/Holidays/Rwanda-and-Tanzania-2010/Tanzania-2010/13936916_beKUn#1023422827_bvrnf
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Now I do not like doing this ---but I agree with Ric
    :D :jawdropOMG:jawdrop:D
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2010
    BigAl wrote: »
    Hello Harry! Does the vignetting occur with the hood off too?

US$1500 per day excluding airfares to and from Nairobi :wow Man that's a lot of South African money!! Guess if I want to see you guys I'll have to drive up there :D

The vignetting occurs with the hood and w/o the hood.

That workshop sure isn't a cheap journey.
    Harry
  • Options
    RayLarson wrote: »
    Hi Harry,

I shoot with the 150-500 OS Sigma and find it much more competent than the Bigma. It is a sweet lens for it's price. I don't use it as much lately since I got a Nikkor 70-200 with a 1.7TC for my D300 but It is worth trying out if you can find one.

Good capture Ray. I was more interested in the 150-500 but vouldn't find one to rent. Its definitely a piece of glass I want to check out.
    Harry
  • Options
    80weeks wrote: »
    If you are interested I have just managed to put up a number of photos from our recent safari in Tanzania. We ended up taking the OS 50-500 and loved it. We also had a 50-150 2.8 on the backup camera and I have to say some of my favourite photos were taken with that lens (eg. the pic I previously posted of the lion hunting was taken at 50mm).

http://80weeks.smugmug.com/Holidays/Rwanda-and-Tanzania-2010/Tanzania-2010/13936916_beKUn#1023422827_bvrnf

Outstanding gallery. clap.gif

The Bigma would be a good all purpose lens for a shoot and you got good results from it.
    Harry