Options

Macro Rail question

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited September 27, 2010 in Accessories
Has anyone ever seen or used this brand of macro rail?

Brand name is MASSA

http://www.dinodirect.com/massa-macro-focusing-rail-metal-dslr/AFFID-11.html?DinoDirect

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Several months back I sold the much more expensive Adorama Model.....last i looked Adorama sold the one I had for about $175 andd the cheaper model for about the price of the one you linked to.
    Mine worked like a charm and I really liked it....it was heavy...but I did not have to move my tripod back and forth and side to side to get the comp I wanted.......I just do not do enuff macros to warrant keeping it....
    so I sold it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 25, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Several months back I sold the much more expensive Adorama Model.....last i looked Adorama sold the one I had for about $175 andd the cheaper model for about the price of the one you linked to.
    Mine worked like a charm and I really liked it....it was heavy...but I did not have to move my tripod back and forth and side to side to get the comp I wanted.......I just do not do enuff macros to warrant keeping it....
    so I sold it.

Yeah this rail is around 1 1/2 pounds
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Looks similar to some others I've seen, maybe rebranded Chinese product?

The mechanism type is critical in these, eg screw, geared, rack and pinion.

Wobble is a typical problem with this gear.

But maybe fine.ne_nau.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Looks similar to some others I've seen, maybe rebranded Chinese product?

The mechanism type is critical in these, eg screw, geared, rack and pinion.

Wobble is a typical problem with this gear.

But maybe fine.ne_nau.gif

Neil

Yeah I've actually heard good things about most of this type, there's 1 that looks like this for $45 and I'm thinking it's probably the same one, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone has heard of massa. Usually chinese sellers don't mention brand name at all, you only know if its in the picture. I'll try asking and see if they know what the $45 unit's brand name is
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Yeah I've actually heard good things about most of this type, there's 1 that looks like this for $45 and I'm thinking it's probably the same one, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone has heard of massa. Usually chinese sellers don't mention brand name at all, you only know if its in the picture. I'll try asking and see if they know what the $45 unit's brand name is

Doesn't say what movement mechanism it uses, probably screw. Better ones have other kinds.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix