Options

35 or 50 for street photography?

fsquarefsquare Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited October 12, 2010 in Accessories
Newbie question; but I've always wanted to know which would lens work best for street photography and occasional portraiture. I shoot Canon and could use the advice.

Thanks.

Max Fawahl

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    depends what sort of crop you have on your Canon (or full frame, but I suspect not), since that will affect the 'true' length of your lens. What camera are you shooting with?
    //Leah
  • Options
    catspaw wrote: »
    depends what sort of crop you have on your Canon (or full frame, but I suspect not), since that will affect the 'true' length of your lens. What camera are you shooting with?

5D Mk II
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    fsquare wrote: »
    Newbie question; but I've always wanted to know which would lens work best for street photography and occasional portraiture. I shoot Canon and could use the advice.

Thanks.

M Fawahl

On my Olympus, I find that around 50mm seems to be best for street shots. I went through my LR3 and checked the focal length of my street shots- most were ~ 50mm
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    I think you will find focal lengths from 35mm through 200mm as fairly common for street photography. Part of the answer lies in how close you wish to be to your subjects, the level of intimacy you desire with the subjects, the number of subjects and the activity of the subjects. (I am assuming that people are the primary subject matter.)

For a FF camera, like the 5D MKII, I think either a 35mm or a 50mm could be used for many opportunities, but at the same shooting distances the 35mm will be better to capture more of a group interaction or activity while the 50mm will be more intimate and exclusive to a subject or a couple.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    for a full frame, I personally like the 85mm for street photography, but I like closer cropped photos rather than scenes ... for more scenes/stories, definitely a 50mm or wider like Ziggy said :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    Both will work fine for street photography. You just need to zoom with your feet. Make sure that the lens you choose has a fast and accurate focus.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    here is the thing with the 35mm and 50mm debate..I never felt I was too long with 50mm on a crop..until I got a FF. If you start on crop and have never shot on a FF, then 50mm seems just fine and IS just fine. I felt the same about the 85mm on a crop. I loved that that length for portraits and only really noticed it was "too long" when I started shooting FF (more of a space limitation in smaller rooms and such). So just go with what you got and what you feel comfortable with and make it work.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    only really noticed it was "too long" when I started shooting FF

Wouldn't FF "shorten" the effective focal length not lenghthen it? A 50 would be 50 insted of 75 on a crop sensor?

I find 35 a little wide for street, but I don't have a 50 and I stink at street photography.
  • Options
    jsqueri wrote: »
    Wouldn't FF "shorten" the effective focal length not lenghthen it? A 50 would be 50 insted of 75 on a crop sensor?

My thought too!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Personally I like my 18-70 or 18-200 for street shooting.....but I am looking for slightly faster glass so the 18-70 will be going and replaced with a Sigma 17-70f2.8-4 both of the Nikon lenses are just to slow and sometimes when out about in the city I need close focusing capabilities and I do not want to switch lenses os going back to Sigmas will give me what I need.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I think you will find focal lengths from 35mm through 200mm as fairly common for street photography. Part of the answer lies in how close you wish to be to your subjects, the level of intimacy you desire with the subjects, the number of subjects and the activity of the subjects. (I am assuming that people are the primary subject matter.)

For a FF camera, like the 5D MKII, I think either a 35mm or a 50mm could be used for many opportunities, but at the same shooting distances the 35mm will be better to capture more of a group interaction or activity while the 50mm will be more intimate and exclusive to a subject or a couple.

Exactly.. 35-55m is the sweet spot..
  • Options
    Richard wrote: »
    You just need to zoom with your feet. Make sure that the lens you choose has a fast and accurate focus.

I shot a 50mm at a dragstrip and for safetys sake- I wished I had a zoom!

But if you are free to move arond- then 35-50mm is the optimum,
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    The lens you use will determine the type of shots you will take. I shoot mostly street (and sports) and the more experience I get, the wider a lens I use (and the closer I get to the subject). Last month I switched (on a 5D) from my 24 -105 to my 17 - 40 for a weeklong trip. I ended up shooting more at the wide end (17 - 24) than the long end of the lens and now will use this as my walkaround street lens. With the wider lens I can get the exact same perspective as the long lens by cropping the shot. But I cannot get the wider shot with the longer lens.

Cost aside, then, I would recommend the 35L lens.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    If I had a 5D and one lens it would be a 50mm, because I'm really liking a 35mm on my crop 7D.

You said "occasional portraiture" and for that you'll want a 50 instead of a 35 because on a full frame, 35 is a bit wide, more distorting and not so flattering for a close up portrait.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    35 all the way, that's my vote. I'll quote Robert Capa: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough"...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 28, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    The lens you use will determine the type of shots you will take.

This is an important point. I've gotten decent street shots all the way from 17 to 280 mm, and I would go both longer and wider if I had the lenses. The way I go about it changes depending on the lens. Longer lenses are convenient for large, open spaces and give you the possibility of scanning a wide area for possible shots. Telephotos compress distances, which can create interesting, misleading juxtapositions. Wider lenses are great for narrow streets and getting close to the action. Also for shooting from the hip. I don't like carrying a lot of weight so I usually choose one lens before I go out and adjust my strategy accordingly.
  • Options
    colourbox wrote: »
    If I had a 5D and one lens it would be a 50mm, because I'm really liking a 35mm on my crop 7D.

You said "occasional portraiture" and for that you'll want a 50 instead of a 35 because on a full frame, 35 is a bit wide, more distorting and not so flattering for a close up portrait.

It is a good point you make about distortion of portrait with a 35. Even with street photography I am after more natural look and feel of photographs.

Max Fawahl
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    keep in mind the quality of the lens you want. The 50/1.4 is better than the 35/2.0, but the 35L is better than the 50/1.4. Personally I'm lusting for the 35L to put on my 5DII. I think 35mm is better for telling a story and capturing scenes. For portraits or tight candids, you'll probably be better off with an 85 or even 135. If you have a zoom lens this is easy to determine!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    keep in mind the quality of the lens you want. The 50/1.4 is better than the 35/2.0, but the 35L is better than the 50/1.4. Personally I'm lusting for the 35L to put on my 5DII. I think 35mm is better for telling a story and capturing scenes. For portraits or tight candids, you'll probably be better off with an 85 or even 135. If you have a zoom lens this is easy to determine!

35L/135L combo for the win!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2010
    35L/135L combo for the win!

Do you have this combination? How do you like the 135L?

thanks

Max Fawahl
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins

thanks

Max Fawahl
    I don't own either but have shot with both numerous times. They are both truly gorgeous lenses. The 135 L is oh-so sweet because it's light and FAST compared to the 85 1.2, but the bokeh is just as STUNNING because of the extra focal range. If you use it for single or medium length portraits, or headshots, or incognito candids, it's just amazing.

The 35 L is also amazing in it's own right, with equally gorgeous bokeh when you get nice and close for detail shots, and amazing sharpness even wide open. It's great for low-light candids because the wider focal length lets you get away with a slower shutter speed than at 85 or 50, (meaning you don't miss the 1.2 aperture for low light) ...plus it's nice and snappy to focus which the 1.2's aren't. Overall, it's just a fantastic combo. I'd still want to have at least one or two zooms in my bag just to make me feel safe, but I could certainly shoot an entire wedding with those two primes if I put my mind to it. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options

thanks

Max Fawahl

I do! iloveyou.gif love it! Though, I use lug around two different bodies with each lens attached to each one.

Does what I need. both lenses are superbly sharp, light, and not intrusive. As Matt says about the 135, awesome for the sneak shots!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Who says you can't shoot head shots with the 35L?
    1028803490_ZecLq-XL.jpg

Shot today at f/1.4 on a 5D; pretty much SOOC...
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    rainbow wrote: »
    Who says you can't shoot head shots with the 35L?

Well, of course that one works. The head occupies like 1/20 of the frame. Cropped down, it probably would look like a 135mm! :D
  • Options
    colourbox wrote: »
    Well, of course that one works. The head occupies like 1/20 of the frame. Cropped down, it probably would look like a 135mm! :D

Or get super close to the face.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    35mmL is a dream in lower light and close in, but it won't meet all your street needs.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    Nothing ever meets all the needs.

The vast majority of my street shooting is done with three lenses: 20mm, 50mm, 85mm on a FF body. I have the 24-70 and a few other nice pieces of glass that I'll use if I don't mind looking like a photographer. But, I have found that primes allow me to respond much quicker to an opportunity. I think this is mainly in that I can now pretty much visualise my FoV for any given lens allowing me to compose a scene before lifting the camera to my eye. Having to adjust the zoom is just one more thing to do before firing the shutter.

Interestingly enough, out of the three lenses the 50mm gets the least use. I sometimes feel the gap between the 20mm and the 50mm is a little too large. That new 35mm/1.4 from Nikon is tempting me.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    One size
    I shoot typically with the 50 1.2L when I can for general use if I can get away with it. That is my favorite lens. For a portrait session, if I have the space, I will use the 135L. I use the 35L for events when it will be dark and there is action. I am lusting after the 85 1.2

For personal photography, when I want light lenses and I don't want to change lenses on the fly, I will pop the 28-300 VR Tamron on my 5d2.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    ChatKat wrote: »
    I shoot typically with the 50 1.2L when I can for general use if I can get away with it. That is my favorite lens. For a portrait session, if I have the space, I will use the 135L. I use the 35L for events when it will be dark and there is action. I am lusting after the 85 1.2

For personal photography, when I want light lenses and I don't want to change lenses on the fly, I will pop the 28-300 VR Tamron on my 5d2.

I have to admit the 135L sounds intriguing and it seems to garner a lot of praises. It is priced much more reasonably than the 50L or 35L.

Max Fawahl
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    I have to admit the 135L sounds intriguing and it seems to garner a lot of praises. It is priced much more reasonably than the 50L or 35L.

Max Fawahl

Well it begs to ask, how you are going to use the lens. Even if it is priced reasonably, I know some people who bought it for its praises but only sits in the bag. And some, like myself, who use it consistently.

So going by this thread, I think the 35 or 50 might be better off for you. Unless you like tight crops and sneaky shots. But for street shots, unless you are shooting from a bit of a distance, the 35 would be better because you also add the background scenes into the story.

I know this might bring you back to square one, so I guess you should ask yourself this: are you a sniper or a in your face shooter?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com