Options

Low res, unedited request

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 12, 2010 in People
This could possibly go in "Mind your own business", but since it's entirely related to people shots, I reckoned it's as (and possibly more) relevant here.

Performer headshot sessions are typically priced as a total package with X number of final, edited, retouched shots included, which the client selects from proofs. I have one higher-priced "unlimited time" session which includes 4 final shots, and a "student special" budget pkg which is limited to about an hour and includes 1 final shot. Extra edited shots can be purchased for an additional fee with either pkg.

I've recently been asked by somebody who took the student special what I would charge for several low-resolution, UNedited shots to use on his website. At one level, I have no problem with that; at another, I'm really uncomfortable letting unedited shots "out there" with my name on them, so they WILL have to be edited, IMO, which of course means time. When he asked at our session I told him exactly that, and that I would have to think about it.

Is it reasonable to charge for these, or should I just be giving them out for people to use as desired? I don't give out proofs on a disk, only upload the on SM with a "proof" watermark. I'm torn - my pkg is extremely well priced (not bottom-feeding, but definitely not NY prices!) and I think I'm giving good value for money (and one of the reasons I can do that is because of pricing "extra" edited shots a la carte), but I also know that a LOT of people are giving out proofs on disk so clients actually do have the unedited shots they can use without further recourse to the 'tog.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    This could possibly go in "Mind your own business", but since it's entirely related to people shots, I reckoned it's as (and possibly more) relevant here.
    I've been letting 'people' get 'broader' lately to see how it goes; For now if it is directly related to people shooting or a specific people shot it is fine here thumb.gif

I wonder why he asks for the unedited shots? Wouldn't he be more benefited by the edited shots?

I can see this going both ways; I would personally not give them out for free; If the image gets editing it is your time, effort and skills. You charge for those normally, so why not now? It is also a specific 'service' that he requires. If he goes elsewhere for that (or comes to you for *just that*) he would have to pay as well.

On the other hand, if it is really for his website, and it is one or two shots (that you have already PPed) only that he requires I can see you throwing them in as part of the deal.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I have a hard time understanding why extra is charged for editing shots. Seems all that should be included.
    What does it take.... a couple minutes...maybe 5 minutes tops per photo.....so lets say they want 10 edited photos...and it takes an hour. How much can you charge for that?

For me I just edit them all completely and charge a one time fee and provide the photos on a disc....done. They have the photos all edited, they can show them wherever they want. I am done and onto the next shoot, no muss no fuss.
    I imagine that is what most of your competition is doing.

I guess there is room for all types of pricing packages out there. Just seems complicated to me and would not be a good generator for word of mouth business.

To answer your question...unedited quickly becomes edited by the customer and yes your name will be associated with them when someone asks who took the pictures. There are a lot of easy quick photo editing programs out there that the students can utilize.

If you do decide to give out unedited "proofs" take your watermark off of them and ask the customer not to associate your name with them to anyone. This might increase your positive word of mouth to future potential customers, more so than having your watermark on unprocessed then customer processed pics that you have no control over how they end up looking.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I have read that a lot of photographers of seniors etc. will include some low res shots for Face Book etc as part of the package. Not as much editing is required since it is also small and will not be suitable for printing.
    This seems like a similar use/request from your client. Face Book can draw referrals, his website not so much.

My recent drama student asked me for the same thing, I did not do as much editing.. I smoothed skin but I didn't pop the eyes, or hand edit blemishes. And I gave her a decent price that I pulled out of the air.. I am hoping to draw more clients from her class than just her boyfriend.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thanks Ivar.

To clarify, when I say "editing" I mean deep editing and retouching, not basic processing (that is of course done before the proofs are uploaded): skinwork, blemishes, eyes, clothing corrections, any liquifying etc etc.

Zoomer, I just followed the pricing model that I've experienced as a client when I've had my own headshots done, and that other headshot photographers seem to use - I figured it made sense to use the business model that others have. Given the zillions of shots performers prefer to have from which to choose 4 or 5 images to use, it makes sense. It's actually worked well for me so far, since people have chosen the less expensive package and then purchased extra edited shots a la carte (which ultimately costs them more than if they'd gone for the inclusive package!).

Keep the comments coming, folks - this is very helpful and giving me lots to think about. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    No worries, I am sure your market is different than the market out here in Idaho.
    Just curious, how long does it take you to do what you call deep editing to a photo of average complexity?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Hmmm.... good question. If it's somebody with young, great skin and the clothing and background don't need any cloning work (oh, for a full-sized studio and a roll of seamless....) then no more than about 20 minutes. But most people don't have young, great skin.... :D I have a couple of actions I use for skin smoothing, but I hate it looking overdone so tend to build it up gradually on several layers so I can adjust it a lot, and I do a lot of "hand cloning" as well (rather than just actions or gaussian blur). Plus dodging/burning on eyes and other areas as appropriate. If there's cloning involved (ie clothing wrinkles, hair) or liquifying, then it all adds more time. Basically, I spend a lot of time trying to make it look like I've done nothing at all rolleyes1.gif Probably too much time, but there we have it.

ETA:

As an example, here's a before and after. This one was pretty low maintenance (and thank goodness the bg problems could be solved with cropping!), but it still took at least 15-20 minutes or so. I think I slightly overdid the skin on this one; I may go back and tweak it down a little further. This one also hasn't been checked on my 2nd monitor, so if the contrast is slightly off, that's why (that's the final editing step for me, which I do before I upload them for the client). I still need to clone in the catchlight to the CR eye too (his eyes aren't quite the same, so they reflected the light differently).

SOOC
    1035597829_sg6d4-M.jpg

Edited
    1031152890_HWMxh-M.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    oh man..15-20min? for a headshot that is decent SOOC, it would be about 1 min normal, 3-5 min for minor touching, and 7-10 min for MAJOR retouching. This iis with LR3.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    What do you call "major retouching", Qarik? Just curious. I accept I may be spending too long on it (and I'm constantly seeking to improve my shots SOOC so there's less to do!) but I'm also taking the shots closer to "natural-looking fashion" style (if there is such an oxymoronic thing) than "everyday" - it's the expectation for promotional shots like these. I do my 'deep editing" in PS - LR can't do the things I need for this, so no choice.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    so your example I would classify as 3-5 min job. crop, exposure, contrast, sharpen, clarity, and 2 min of cloning on the face. I am certain I can acheive your final look in LR.

major retouching would be a side lit shot in a bridal portait of a bride with bad skin that is underexposed and white balance is all over the place and I have to clone out something in the BG.

But one thing I don't mention is if I have to hem and haw about a shot. If I know what I want the end product to look like..then it is off to the races. But sometimes I don't know where a shot will take me..I may try a bunch stuff to salvage a shot but then just go BW at the end. But that is limited to 1 in 50 shots maybe.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I do not give RAW files to general clients. I do not provide any unedited images.

No matter what the client or anyone says..............the image will reflect on you and your photography skills.

Charge what you will, but I would council to let only those images loose that represent you well.

Sam

PS: Since I shoot RAW everything needs to be processes to one extent or another.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Well, you've given me a great compliment Qarik because I did a lot more than that... but it must look pretty natural since you didn't comment on it! I'd consider this one pretty low-maintenance, too - his skin isn't bad and there were no major bg issues to fix. But what I did was: patched the blemishes, ran a skin smoothing action, lightened the undereye shadows, toned down the reds in his skin, liquified the chin and cheekline, free transformed the CR eye (which is slightly offcenter and smaller than the CL eye), dodged/burned the eyes and a few other things. His skin is pretty good so it didn't take as long as some, but the liquifying took forever since I didn't want it to be too obvious - it's vital that the photo really looks like the person so that when they walk into the room for the audition people don't think, "huh?!?".
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I do not give RAW files to general clients. I do not provide any unedited images.

No matter what the client or anyone says..............the image will reflect on you and your photography skills.

Charge what you will, but I would council to let only those images loose that represent you well.

Sam

I would never EVER give out raw images!! I'm even reluctant to post the SOOC shot I used as an exmaple above rolleyes1.gif

I don't think letting them out unedited is really an option at this stage of my development (maybe once I'm so good SOOC that it's not as big a deal and I feel they're at 90% before editing, something I don't think I"ve reached yet!); it's trying to figure out what's reasonable to charge for low-rez, "edit lite" photos. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    I couldn't give a rat's patoot how much time it takes you to produce a product. That's damn near irrelevant IMO. When a consumer buys a product, he pays for the value he receives, not the cost of production.

You apparently have a price structure that gives a break for students already. Sounds like you're "paying it forward" and good on ya.

I would not (and honestly never have) release an image that wasn't ready for prime time. I am afraid to dilute my brand. I get the distinct impression you feel the same way. Your client is negotiating. If you want to give him (her) a freebie, that's your choice, but I would not release a sub-par image.

And now you have my $.02 :D. By the way, was the image you posted here your "Big Guy?" If so, you sure done good.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Yep, this was him and he was very pleased with them. ~phew~

Trudy, I've kind of done the same thing you did - I've offered him have the lo-res "edit lite" shots for a flat rate. We'll see if he bites or if he's just been haggling... :D

Thanks for all the input, guys - much appreciated. While the photo stuff is still very much a sideline for me and secondary to my performing career, I do want to keep things professional, and also lay the groundwork for the future should this be something I do more of.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Well, you've given me a great compliment Qarik because I did a lot more than that... but it must look pretty natural since you didn't comment on it! I'd consider this one pretty low-maintenance, too - his skin isn't bad and there were no major bg issues to fix. But what I did was: patched the blemishes, ran a skin smoothing action, lightened the undereye shadows, toned down the reds in his skin, liquified the chin and cheekline, free transformed the CR eye (which is slightly offcenter and smaller than the CL eye), dodged/burned the eyes and a few other things. His skin is pretty good so it didn't take as long as some, but the liquifying took forever since I didn't want it to be too obvious - it's vital that the photo really looks like the person so that when they walk into the room for the audition people don't think, "huh?!?".

interesting. that appears to be a lot of work. I would like to try something if you are game..can you post X2 or O size of the SOOC image? I want to spend a max 5 min on it in LR to see if I can replicate your or at least come close to your work.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    I couldn't give a rat's patoot how much time it takes you to produce a product. That's damn near irrelevant IMO. When a consumer buys a product, he pays for the value he receives, not the cost of production.

If you could process an image in 5 min or 1 hour with the same result..what would you choose? I think that worth a rat's patoot? mwink.gif
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    You misunderstand me, my friend. I am commenting from the consumer's POV, not the producer's.

Suppose I can produce, for $X, a product that no one else can (or does) produce. Suppose this produce strikes you as something you would pay $Y for. What difference does it make to you, the consumer, if I develop a process that allows me to produce it for 1/10th X? I submit it makes ZERO difference to your decision whether to buy it, unless you're irrational.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    I'll pm that to you Qarik (I'd prefer not to post it and, in fact, will be taking that SOOC out shortly). Also, I realised after I posted that I hadn't yet liquified the jawline in this one (that was another, very similar shot from the session), so I've gone and done that as well as cloned the catchlight into the CR eye. Here's the version to try and match thumb.gif

1035853395_WyU3a-M.jpg
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    This is a very interesting thread to say the least and aside from the question you originally posted the post processing time for images is another interesting topic.

The fact that you modeled your packaging after other photographers in your area is a good gauge for fair pricing as far as I'm concerned.
    And I wouldn't blame anyone who was serious about what they do for not releasing "unproduced product", it's just not a good idea.

As for workflows, I am forever looking at ways to reduce PP time and I'm finding the U Point technology to be the wave of the future. No more creating layers with PS and the time involved in doing so. CS5 has made some great leaps with "conent aware" fill as well.
    I'm all for getting the best possible results SOOC but in a real world.......

Of course shooting RAW is always going take time...I'll have to time myself the next time I'm PPing but I figure less tha five minutes unless I'm doing more than the norm such as those suggestions made on the recent thread I started.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Yes interesting thread...sorry I kind of took it off on a tangent.

I am with Qarik, if I start to hem and haw on a photo I just delete it or increase the exposure and black and white it.

What is described as deep editing normally takes me 5 minutes or so, it used to take me a long time but after a couple hundred thousand portraits over 7 years I can do it with my eyes shut. If I should have an extreme example that is going to take longer than that I usually just delete them and go on to the next one, this only occurs when I do not take a good photo in the first place.

A lot of the photo editing work people do is really not necessary, people do not see it or notice it and if you should happen to overwork the photo it is very noticeable, less really is more.
    When you said Qarik paid you a great compliment because you did a lot more work to the photo than he could notice...this is a good example of my point. All that time was spent on edits that weren't noticeable.....maybe if the before and after photo are side by side the edits could be seen...but that will never happen with your customer.

A huge part of the battle is to take a bright well lit photo with a clean background in the camera.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Point well made and well taken Zoomer - you're all giving me a lot to think about. I'm definitely working towards taking the best possible shot SOOC that I can, and am aware of my current shortcomings in that department! Work in progress. My clients are happy and spreading the word, which is encouraging.

However, I'm not sure I'm entirely overdoing it. For instance, what if one of these shots gets submitted for a concert the performer is doing, and the promoters decide to blow it up to poster size? Has defintely happened. At 36x24 or whatever, it WILL show. Once these shots are paid for and leave me, I have no control over how they will be used - can be anything from websites, to programs, to billboards (ok, so the clients I currently shoot are unlikely to get that kind of promotional exposure, but you know what I mean! rolleyes1.gif)

FWIW, a link to a very highly-regarded performer-headshot photographer in the UK (although I believe she's actually an American) whose work I really admire. She openly admits to spending about 2 hours per final shot. Just saying...

This is where she mentions editing time:
    http://www.clairenewmanwilliams.com/policy.html

Her pricing and general policies:
    http://www.clairenewmanwilliams.com/whatget.html (I'd say that her London pricing matches the mid-high end of NYC prices at ~$800 per session - in NY, avg is about $400-600, but can go as high as $1200+. Some folks offer short "special offer" sessions in the $150-300 range too - saturated market caters for just about everybody one way or another.)
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Wow I need to move to London.
    2 hours per shot....that is just marketing.
    Looks like she used the same lighting set up for each shot.

Black and white is SO easy to edit, and she doesn't sharpen her shots much so that makes it easier still.

If a shot is going to blown up huge, that is a case where you really want to do as little as possible to it, not more.
    The bigger it is the easier it is to see the minor flaws introduced via any processing that was done to the skin hair eyes teeth etc.

(quote) FWIW, a link to a very highly-regarded performer-headshot photographer in the UK (although I believe she's actually an American) whose work I really admire. She openly admits to spending about 2 hours per final shot. Just saying...

This is where she mentions editing time:
    http://www.clairenewmanwilliams.com/policy.html

Her pricing and general policies:
    http://www.clairenewmanwilliams.com/whatget.html (I'd say that her London pricing matches the mid-high end of NYC prices at ~$800 per session - in NY, avg is about $400-600, but can go as high as $1200+. Some folks offer short "special offer" sessions in the $150-300 range too - saturated market caters for just about everybody one way or another.)[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    It's a real shame we can't see some of her proof shots to compare and see what she actually does. I don't personally know any of her clients to ask (or at least am not aware of any I know!), unfortunately....

Interesting discussion all round, though.

Here's a related question, Zoomer: say a shot is going to be blown up big. Client has ok skin - ie no major acne or scars - but enlarged pores, crows feet, crooked lips (perhaps with flaking skin) etc. What does one do? It has to be retouched to conform with people's media-cized, fashion-industry-ized expectations so you can't get round it. Displayed large, those flaws WILL be noticeable .... as will the processing if it isn't done well.

So where's the line? I truly don't know and am throwing this out for discussion. Also, I'm not talking about major morphing and "hardcore" fashion processing, but processing to make people look good, but still fairly natural. These aren't models or Hollywood stars, but ordinary people whose career puts them in the public eye, which already makes it a tricky line to tread.

While this may not be the original question I posed, it is an interesting tangent!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Well I can only speak from my own perspective. If I am processing a very pretty girl, I will do more skin fixing and even go so far as to make it almost perfect, because she is beautiful it will look right.

The more "character" a person has the less I will do to the photo because past a certain point it just does not look right. Embrace the flaws. Soften the wrinkles do not remove them. Skin flaking...yeah fix that. Red splotchy skin yeah fix that. Enlarged pores soften that up don't remove it. Crooked lips, leave em.

As for the pro you referenced...my guess is that she is using a one click action to process her pictures for the most part...since they all look pretty much the same.

Set them all up the same with the same lighting, do your one click action, add a little clean up around the edges. The brighter the exposure the less clean up required, black and white makes processing so easy.
    Tell people it takes you up to 2 hours to process and go to the bank and cash your checks.
    May sound cynical...but I know how easy that would be to do.

It's a real shame we can't see some of her proof shots to compare and see what she actually does. I don't personally know any of her clients to ask (or at least am not aware of any I know!), unfortunately....

Interesting discussion all round, though.

Here's a related question, Zoomer: say a shot is going to be blown up big. Client has ok skin - ie no major acne or scars - but enlarged pores, crows feet, crooked lips (perhaps with flaking skin) etc. What does one do? It has to be retouched to conform with people's media-cized, fashion-industry-ized expectations so you can't get round it. Displayed large, those flaws WILL be noticeable .... as will the processing if it isn't done well.

So where's the line? I truly don't know and am throwing this out for discussion. Also, I'm not talking about major morphing and "hardcore" fashion processing, but processing to make people look good, but still fairly natural. These aren't models or Hollywood stars, but ordinary people whose career puts them in the public eye, which already makes it a tricky line to tread.

While this may not be the original question I posed, it is an interesting tangent!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, Zoomer. We are indeed addressing different markets and goals so I'm not sure we'll ever come to a full agreement on this, but it's very interesting to hear your point of view!

A performer headshot can't always "embrace the flaws" in quite the way you suggest. Sure, photos have to look like the person - they can't be so artificially manipulated that the person in their current guise isn't recognizable! - but unless you specialise in "character" roles, are really selling a grungy "ugly" look or are 55+ ... you have to look good. Not just "ok", but best-that-the-makeup- artist-lighting-and-post-processing can combine to achieve. Especially in Operaland, where a degree of glamour is still assumed and desired. And, especially for actors, a strong, attractive, connects-with-the-viewer headshot can make the difference between getting the audition or not - it's a HUGE big deal. For singers the photo doesn't play quite such a significant role in getting the audition but - especially for young singers transitioning to professional who don't have much on their resumes yet and are facing obscene competition to be heard in person - it can make a difference. A lot of singers aren't drop-dead gorgeous 20 year old girls. Should their shots get less attention simply because they're not as good-looking to start with? I just can't do that - I feel it's my job to try and make every client look as great as I can *as well as* (prime directive) trying to show off their personality and connecting them with the viewer (usually an artistic director, casting director, or agent).

Here are some photographers in NY who are frequently used by singers. I DO know some of these singers IRL and I can tell you with certainty that the shots have been artfully, but significantly, enhanced with post-processing. Sometimes probably a little more than I like, to be honest, but in some of them, they've just really worked to bring out the best of what was already there. In some cases I saw the proofs (friends' shots) so I know they didn't look anything at all like this SOOC :D

http://www.rblinkoff.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=13&p=1&a=0&at=0 (his work strikes a nice balance between glamorous and natural, IMO, and he's managed to translate the currently-favoured natural-light-style that actors are using into something which also works well for the more formal clothes and styles that classical musicians often need)

http://www.devoncass.com/ (his is a full-blown glamour look which is over the top for my taste, but some people in the music business absolutely LOVE his work)

http://www.lisakohlerphoto.com/ (not much on her web-page, but if you google her name a TON of shots of singers will come up - she was the go-to opera photographer in the 90s, and a lot of people used their shots from her for years)

http://www.hoebermannstudio.com/headshots/headshots.html (her website portfolio looks like it's mainly her actor shots, but I've seen some that operatic friends had done and from what they said, they were significantly retouched.... although the final results looked supernatural.)
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Interesting discussion:
    I looked at all their sites. I like the last ones best, pretty consistent work.
    The second one had some nice shots but more inconsistent.

One thing I have learned about photography....is that everybody's likes are different, amazingly so sometimes. That is what makes it so fun and never boring clap.gif.

Here are some photographers in NY who are frequently used by singers. I DO know some of these singers IRL and I can tell you with certainty that the shots have been artfully, but significantly, enhanced with post-processing. Sometimes probably a little more than I like, to be honest, but in some of them, they've just really worked to bring out the best of what was already there. In some cases I saw the proofs (friends' shots) so I know they didn't look anything at all like this SOOC :D

http://www.rblinkoff.com/#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=13&p=1&a=0&at=0 (his work strikes a nice balance between glamorous and natural, IMO, and he's managed to translate the currently-favoured natural-light-style that actors are using into something which also works well for the more formal clothes and styles that classical musicians often need)

http://www.devoncass.com/ (his is a full-blown glamour look which is over the top for my taste, but some people in the music business absolutely LOVE his work)

http://www.lisakohlerphoto.com/ (not much on her web-page, but if you google her name a TON of shots of singers will come up - she was the go-to opera photographer in the 90s, and a lot of people used their shots from her for years)

http://www.hoebermannstudio.com/headshots/headshots.html (her website portfolio looks like it's mainly her actor shots, but I've seen some that operatic friends had done and from what they said, they were significantly retouched.... although the final results looked supernatural.)[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    +1 Zoomer - interesting indeed. I know I'm still such a newcomer to this photography world and have a TON to learn, so I really appreciate hearing all those different points of view! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    To put a button on this: I asked for a (very) fair price in response to his request... and he agreed. Now to finish editing them all... rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and Zoomer et al - y'all have made me start timing myself rolleyes1.gif. I realise that I tend to tinker, which is probably part of why it takes me a while. I'll mess with it, walk away, come back and do a bit more, fiddle around, change etc etc. I seldom sit down and edit all at once and say, "DONE!". So perhaps my estimation of how much time I spend is coloured by that, too..... :D
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    here is my result..took me 7 min in LR..2 min to get the same crop! haha..you put a rotate in there that threw me. The only thing i didn't do was briten the eyes and the catchlight.

1037655132_QLhBG-M.jpg

compared to Divas
    1031152890_HWMxh-M.jpg
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    It's pretty good, Quarik, although I think you matched it to my first (incomplete) version instead of the one in post #19, so you didn't do the liquifying either, I'm presuming. So if we add in the eyes call it another minute, then maybe 5 more to match my liquifying so that's 13 mins vs my 15-20, so not TOO bad on my part ;D

I actually prefer your skinwork to mine except for the scarring on his cheek; I would have taken that out as well. Was that just healing work, or did you do something else? I assume you used the brush in LR for the skin? I wish my computer would let me do that - it's a complete pita as it almost always crashes it and I wind up having to reboot. I gave up on that feature for all but the smallest jobs ages ago - it's just faster to dodge/burn/clone/heal in PS for me.

Anyway, lots for me to think about. I actually LIKE doing the fine editing so except when I'm pressed for time it's not a big deal, but there are occasions when I need to do it faster and this is definitely a good incentive to find more time-efficient workflows. thumb.gif

ETA: Yeah, most of my crops have tilts involved, even when it doesn't look like it. I like a more diagonal comp, but have noticed if I do that in camera I sometimes limit my options and thus frame so that I know I have enough room to rotate and play with the crops in post. Works for me. :D