Options

New website

Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited October 16, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi Folks,

I started my Smugmug site as a gallery a year ago, these days I'm making most money from architectural photography (still part time:dunno) so decided to have a go at creating a search engine friendly site from scratch using CMS Made Simple to help sell my services in a more professional manner. Was a lot easier than I thought....

I know it's not a Smuggers site but thought I'd post it up anyway. I'll still keep the Smugmug site but will now re-vamp it to be more of a gallery (as it was originally intended).

Hope you like:

http://www.chp-architecturalphotography.com/

Chris

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    looks beautiful!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    looks beautiful!

Cheers.....and check out those search engine friendly urls......take note smugmug!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Chris H wrote: »
    Cheers.....and check out those search engine friendly urls......take note smugmug!

I am curious what you think you did for search engine optimization? You have done what I would do, hammer the main 3/4 points - architectural photography, Scotland, etc. When I search this you appear on the front page - so job done?

On the sites I run it seems we get an extra boost when the content is picked up by others, especially via a link from a popular site, and when the client is on the road or attending events. Even so, more traffic does not necessarily mean more serious business prospects. Again, you seem to have done this although I guess people will wonder how - did you pay for your listing on their landing page?

In your case I might try to mention client names with endorsements. Competitions - even if you did not win. Building names people might look for. Articles in magazines. Yet you do not do this. I wonder why. Good job done in any case!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    I am curious what you think you did for search engine optimization? You have done what I would do, hammer the main 3/4 points - architectural photography, Scotland, etc. When I search this you appear on the front page - so job done?

On the sites I run it seems we get an extra boost when the content is picked up by others, especially via a link from a popular site, and when the client is on the road or attending events. Even so, more traffic does not necessarily mean more serious business prospects. Again, you seem to have done this although I guess people will wonder how - did you pay for your listing on their landing page?

In your case I might try to mention client names with endorsements. Competitions - even if you did not win. Building names people might look for. Articles in magazines. Yet you do not do this. I wonder why. Good job done in any case!

Hi, i felt I'd gone about as far as I could with my Smugmug site in terms of SEO, this combined with the fact that I wanted a dedicated (more professional looking) website for architectural photography lead me down the CMS made simple route.

My smugmug site does well now for search engines but it's still not as good as it could be and none of the images make it into image search which is just wasting a valuable resource.

It's going to take a while for my new site to find it's way into the ranking, in the mean time I'll keep my smugmug site going and add some referral links.

Don't get me wrong, my new site won't do what smugmug can do in terms of storing, displaying and printing photographs, but what it will do a whole lot better is be googles best friend in so many more ways.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    I like it, but I have to scroll horizontally to view your whole site, but it's just wasted space. I'm using a PC with a 1024 x 768 monitor using Firefox.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. I had a real dilemma on what size to make the site to start with, for future proofing I decided to go on the large size as most monitors being sold now have a larger res than yours. It's not ideal I agree but then again it still looks pretty small on my 1920 x 1080 laptop, and that's a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    I'm thinking if you removed this, in red, in your stylesheet:
    #footerbottom{
        float: left;
        [COLOR=Red]width: 960px;[/COLOR]
        padding: 10px 0px 0px 225px;
        font-size: 83%;
        color: #FFF;
    }

It should remove the extra dead space.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    I'm thinking if you removed this, in red, in your stylesheet:
    #footerbottom{
        float: left;
        [COLOR=Red]width: 960px;[/COLOR]
        padding: 10px 0px 0px 225px;
        font-size: 83%;
        color: #FFF;
    }

It should remove the extra dead space.

Good call, not sure why I had that in there in the first place now!. It's gone. Cheers thumb.gif
  • Options
    Adobe_AndrewAdobe_Andrew Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Looks fantastic. Keep it up!
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Your site is great. More importantly, love your images. Care to share how you are lighting it and keeping the images so clean?? I also dabble in interior photography of residential homes..
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    wildviper wrote: »
    Your site is great. More importantly, love your images. Care to share how you are lighting it and keeping the images so clean?? I also dabble in interior photography of residential homes..

Hi, thanks for you comments.

Lighting wise I mainly use what's available, so if natural light is good enough and the interior lights are distracting and not adding much then I just use natural light. Artificial lights add a color balancing combination, so I mainly just have them on if I feel it adds something to the scene.

Most interior shots I do are bracketed with 5 to 7 exposures then combined using exposure fusion in Photomatix.

I very occasional add a strobe or two for extreme high contrast situations, but find that more often than not it's not necessary.

As far as white walls and crisp images go, this is all about understanding histograms. You should be able to look at a scene and know roughy what the histogram should look like before you take the shot (or finish processing it).

Bright rooms with white walls and light furniture will mainly live in the right hand third of the histogram. Learn to trust it!

Cheers

Chris
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    The new site is very appealing to look at: clean, well-organized, and nice graphic elements. I like it a lot! Best of luck with your efforts!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    The new site is very appealing to look at: clean, well-organized, and nice graphic elements. I like it a lot! Best of luck with your efforts!

Lauren

Many thanks Lauren, lets hope it helps to boost business!

Cheers

Chris