Canon 7d Burst Problems

Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited October 11, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking to see if anyone has any idea of what may be occurring with my 7d. When I first purchased the 7d (slightly used) I would easily get the 8 fps when doing sports shots (primarily using AV and in plenty of light). Recently the bursts have slowed to the same pattern every time when I hold the shutter button down. The pattern is 4 quick shots, a delay, two shots, a delay, two shots, a delay...etc.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue?

I have tried different cards and lenses (50mm and 70-200 2.8). All of these used to work fine and now all have the same results. I have formatted the cards with no change.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Big Red

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited October 8, 2010
    The things that can affect Canon burst speed are:
    • Shutter speed, longer shutter speeds result in a slower burst rate.
    • High-ISO noise reduction, at the strong noise reduction setting it has a noticeable effect on the burst rate.
    • I think that the 7D has the ability to detect light flicker and implement a strategy to prevent the flicker from affecting AF and metering accuracy. I believe that would affect the speed to first shot and that the burst rate might also be affected. (I could not immediately find the reference however.)
    • Do not use AI Servo for static subjects. AI Servo, by design, samples subject motion and will try to calculate future prime focus based on the sampled speed and rate of change. The effect on static subjects is unpredictable focus behavior. One-Shot AF is correct for (relatively) static subjects.

On the 7D, and only the 7D I believe, the new metering system can slow down the frame rate to favor AF accuracy. There is even a vague reference in the 7D User Manual. (Bottom of page 93.)

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf

"In low-light areas or indoors, the continuous shooting speed may become slower even if a fast shuttter speed is set"
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Big RedBig Red Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Thanks !
    Thanks Ziggy. I had called Canon earlier and they said they had heard of this problem a few times and said they did not believe it was something I had done and I needed to send the camera and lens in. I read your response which I had seen on a post before but felt I had checked all of those and then decided to look at my High ISO Speed Noise Reduction. In doing so I saw that it was on "Strong". I changed it to Standard all seems to be fine. It is fast as usual.

Thanks for saving me time, trouble and money!!!

Big Red
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited October 8, 2010
    Glad we could help. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    On the 7D, and only the 7D I believe, the new metering system can slow down the frame rate to favor AF accuracy. There is even a vague reference in the 7D User Manual. (Bottom of page 93.)

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf

"In low-light areas or indoors, the continuous shooting speed may become slower even if a fast shuttter speed is set"

This happens on the 50D also. :(