Tim

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited October 10, 2010 in People
Tim's my dentist and a friend. He needed some shots for a brochure he's having made up. Would appreciate any comments on how I did.

1040533509_wm37e-XL-1.jpg

1040535044_7hDUP-XL.jpg

1040536349_LKjMZ-XL.jpg

Thanks!
-joel

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    You did a fine job lighting these portraits up.
    There is a bit of a white dust or something on the last one, right chest.
    My only thoughts are that hie does not look comfortable in front of the camera....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Good job..............

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 10, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    You did a fine job lighting these portraits up.
    There is a bit of a white dust or something on the last one, right chest.
    My only thoughts are that hie does not look comfortable in front of the camera....
    Thanks, Rey. For the life of me, I can't see the dust spec in the last one.

Now that you mention it, he does look rather stuff. I'll go back through the shoot and see if I can find some where I've made a joke and he's laughing. That might be a better pose now that you mention it. I appreciate the input! thumb.gif
    edited October 10, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Good job..............

Sam
    Hey thanks, Sam!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    For the life of me, I can't see the dust spec in the last one.

Here:
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 10, 2010
    Thanks, Nik. Wow, I need a new monitor. I can only see that if I look at my monitor at a 45 degree angle from the side. eek7.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Here:

Ha ha, I was a bout to do this .....thanks :D

Joel, I should also say, I like how you kept his pupils small, modeling lamp?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited October 10, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Joel, I should also say, I like how you kept his pupils small, modeling lamp?
    Um, luck? ne_nau.gif I didn't even know small pupils were preferable until you just told me. Maybe it had something do with him changing in his truck in my driveway in the bright sun. We shot in my garage, so he'd just walk outside to his truck to change his shirt. I'll bet that helped. Thanks for the tip. :giggle
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    You did a great job! This is personal preference, I would like to see alittle more contrast in the lighting. A little darker on the shadow side of the face will slim it a bit more. Just try to adjust it for the heck of it in photoshop to see if you like it. Also a tad bit darker background will make the subject stand out more. Again just personal preferences. Great job.
    edited October 10, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You did a great job! This is personal preference, I would like to see alittle more contrast in the lighting. A little darker on the shadow side of the face will slim it a bit more. Just try to adjust it for the heck of it in photoshop to see if you like it. Also a tad bit darker background will make the subject stand out more. Again just personal preferences. Great job.

Thank you, Charles! I'm still pretty green on portrait lighting, but did try a more contrasty look at first and decided against it because I just wasn't getting the right look. I can see what you mean about the slimming the face though. This is an area I need to explore more. I'll try the PS idea.

Here's a shot without the background lights. Looks great, huh? The issue is that the brochure contractor specifically stated "light background'. However, I like this so much, I think I'll include it with the shots I give to Tim. Maybe it's acceptable, because it really does look better.

1041701437_Syjup-XL.jpg

Appreciate your input.
    -joel
    edited October 10, 2010
    Thanks, Nik. Wow, I need a new monitor. I can only see that if I look at my monitor at a 45 degree angle from the side. eek7.gif

That, or: when I process for important targets (paid customers, art shows, etc.) I use the following tricks to make sure some barely visible artefacts are truly absent:
    • PS: add curves adjustment layer. Make some absolutely wild curve change (draw).
    • Save for web as highly compressed (low quality) jpeg. Like 0 quality.
    One way or another, those bastards will pop up on any monitor... deal.gif

EDIT: case in point:

1041737626_mXLdo-O.jpg

HTH
    edited October 10, 2010
    Nik, that's a great trick. For a black shirt like this, I discovered that even just increasing the brightness shows up all the junk. In fact, I discovered the other shirt has a big white blob too. :uhoh

Thanks, man. Ya learn something new every day. bowdown.gif
    edited October 10, 2010
    Nik, that's a great trick. For a black shirt like this, I discovered that even just increasing the brightness shows up all the junk. In fact, I discovered the other shirt has a big white blob too. :uhoh

Thanks, man. Ya learn something new every day. bowdown.gif

For any image with considerable amount of shadows that's a correct way.
    Similar trick with mostly highkey - start decreasing higlights/exposure and you'll immediately get a clear idea what's pure white and what's not...